• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edhalen

So, I'm really very happy with my Sabre I just scored recently. I've been able to adjust to the very thin (for me) neck carve between frets 1 and 5. It is a work of art. And, as such, I'm having a hard time REALLY playing it very enthusiastically as I don't want to scratch the beautiful top. I have been toying with the idea of having a custom clear pick guard made and installed. I know it is a subjective thing but I would like some thoughts from my fellow EBMM enthusiasts out there. In the past I've owned one of the Morse Dark Lords in the Tahitian Blue finish and they came with such a pick guard installed. What say you about this idea?

racerx

I think its a personal choice and no one else can give you the definitive answer. Personally, I wouldn't - they're meant to be played and they're meant to show it (IMO, at least). If you don't ever plan on selling it, then the wear won't matter. If you do plan on selling it, I imagine a clear pickguard would hurt your potential buying pool.

jayjayjay

I've found the carved top of the Sabre helps prevent pick contact. It falls away from the strings. Then again, my technique involves resting at least my pinky on the guitar body for stability while picking, which sort of helps keep the pick away.

PeteDuBaldo

Difficult to make a pickguard for that carved top? Isn't there some sort of thin plastic sheet that sticks by static electricity or something that can work?

Yes there is, that would be my recommendation!
Here's one I am familiar with, Guitar Armor

edhalen

Thanks all! As usual the helpful knucklehead community comes through with options!!! I found some clear plastic film I bought a while ago for just such a situation which I forgot I had. Thanks to @PeteDuBaldo for the recommendation!

edhalen

I've found the carved top of the Sabre helps prevent pick contact. It falls away from the strings. Then again, my technique involves resting at least my pinky on the guitar body for stability while picking, which sort of helps keep the pick away.
I do the same thing! So I guess I've nothing to worry about. Might as well just enjoy playing such an awesome geeter and quit worrying!!! Either that or go the plastic film route. I really don't plan on selling this guitar. It's the best EBMM for me I've found. And I've played most at one time or another ;) I guess the perfect EBMM for me would be the Morse Dark Lord neck on this Sabre. One can dream :)

loocnmad

I'm a firm believer in make it your own. That said, I would be reluctant to drill any holes for a traditional pickguard. The poly finish EBMM uses is super durable so I wouldn't be too worried. That's me though and I play with a fairly light touch.The thin film idea sounds promising though.

Let us know what you go with and post a pic.

Adder

You could put cling wrap on the back of the neck to avoid wear, a clear plastic case for the headstock just in case it gets dinged. Also I there are glass cases you can put the guitar in that come with a $150 starter Strat guitars that you can play while you stare at the Sabre knowing it is safely being preserved. Willie Nelson did this with his favorite guitar, “Trigger” for the longest time but then then decided to use it with all PPE removed… very sad because he didn’t really look after it and I believe the guitar is worthless now…. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ninemile

I'm playing it as is! Just me, but I would Never install a pickguard on it.

Top Bottom