• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sleeping At Sea

My JR Cutlass (6) is the first guitar I've owned with direct mounted pickups and whilst I love everything about this guitar, the pickups are something that I feel like I'm always fighting against when dialing in my tones.

I just saw on Rabea Massaad's instagram that he put his BKP Silo's in his 7 string JR. Just wondering about the process of swapping these out. Would it be simple drop-in or would it need some luthier work involved?

Bea.png

Warmart

If getting different pickups you would just need to be careful in drilling 4 holes for pickup rings. Best to mount the new pu's to the rings and sit them on the guitar to mark the spots. Not difficult.

GWDavis28

If getting different pickups you would just need to be careful in drilling 4 holes for pickup rings. Best to mount the new pu's to the rings and sit them on the guitar to mark the spots. Not difficult.
The Jason Richardson is direct mount, no pickup rings.

I'd take some measurements on the pickup cavities and compare them to the pickups your interested. Like the mounting hole spacing and such.

Good luck, Glenn |B)

SpeakingToStone

I just replaced the pick ups in my JR 6 and found out that most dimarzios are too tall to fit without routing. The JR pick ups are much "thinner" than any of the JP pick ups, for example. So, if you don't want to have to route the pick up cavities, measure pick up depth/thickness.

Warmart

The Jason Richardson is direct mount, no pickup rings.

I'd take some measurements on the pickup cavities and compare them to the pickups your interested. Like the mounting hole spacing and such.

Good luck, Glenn |B)
Yeah, I was assuming he was going to use non-direct mount replacements.

Little Jim

My JR Cutlass (6) is the first guitar I've owned with direct mounted pickups and whilst I love everything about this guitar, the pickups are something that I feel like I'm always fighting against when dialing in my tones.

I just saw on Rabea Massaad's instagram that he put his BKP Silo's in his 7 string JR. Just wondering about the process of swapping these out. Would it be simple drop-in or would it need some luthier work involved?

View attachment 41627
For me the direct mounted pups on my Axis Super Sport are one of the features I love. I also have a Music Man Valentine and the pups on it are mounted with 3 screws (2 on the bass end and 1 on the treble end with springs) so that they can easily be leveled. Over the decades I've been playing I came to hate pups which weren't level with (or centered with) the strings. These solutions to that problem work really well for me. I guess we all have our own preferences and that's cool. Good luck with the modification!

Top Bottom