• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mochabrown1977

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered, but searching for AX3 is not possible as it's too short for the search option.

I love my AX3 but really think I could get a better tone with a full-size steel block and steel saddles. I've tried ordering a couple of different options (Wilkinson), but none will drop in without drastic modification.

Any AX3 owners out there know of a good quality replacement bridge out there that is the right size for the two-point screws and will fit in the trem cavity?

Thanks in advance.
AX3.jpg

jayjayjay

Which Wilkinson did you try? I did some preliminary measurements, and it looked like their Wave trem would just about fit - at least the post spacing seemed to be w/in a mm or so. If it was the Wave, what part wasn't fitting right? What sort of mods?

If you find a good match, I'd love to know as well - I have been wanting to swap the bridge on my two SbMM Axis guitars. If memory serves, it's around 52-53mm spacing center to center.

Gomnana

I have seen pictures online of an ax3 with a Wilkinsons trem, so it's definitely doable.

Would a gotoh 510 fit in there?

What is the spacing from post to post on the ax3 guitars?

Last edited:

Gomnana

Which Wilkinson did you try? I did some preliminary measurements, and it looked like their Wave trem would just about fit - at least the post spacing seemed to be w/in a mm or so. If it was the Wave, what part wasn't fitting right? What sort of mods?

If you find a good match, I'd love to know as well - I have been wanting to swap the bridge on my two SbMM Axis guitars. If memory serves, it's around 52-53mm spacing center to center.

The 52-54mm spacing you refer to seems really small? Spacing from stud to stud is usually more like 56 on most guitars, is it not?

jayjayjay

The 52-54mm spacing you refer to seems really small? Spacing from stud to stud is usually more like 56 on most guitars, is it not?
It may be 56. As I mentioned in my post, I was going be memory - it's been a while, and I wasn't inclined to find my calipers. I do recall that the measurement was very close to what the Wilkinson Wave specified in its technical drawings.

Gomnana

It may be 56. As I mentioned in my post, I was going be memory - it's been a while, and I wasn't inclined to find my calipers. I do recall that the measurement was very close to what the Wilkinson Wave specified in its technical drawings.

I don't actually own an ax3, otherwise I would do some measurements. I'm only interested because I'm kind of tempted to get a Sterling ax3FM (I really like the look of the trans gold flame maple body). I used to own an ax3 though, same one that the OP has. And while I really liked it, the nut and the bridge were always something I felt needed upgraded.

I wonder if the OP is still checking the forum, could he do some measurements for us? lol

I actually emailed Sterling about this but they can't provide any information about the bridge, disappointingly. This is what they said;

"Thank you for reaching out to Sterling by Music Man.

Unfortunately, we do not have this information on file and we cannot recommend aftermarket parts as we cannot guarantee they will be compatible with our instruments.

If you are looking to replace your bridge, we recommend measuring your specific bridge in the manner in which other companies have their specs listed.

Also, there is a lot of discussion on which replacement bridges are best on the Ernie Ball Forum and Facebook Owners Page.

Please note that these modifications are not endorsed by SBMM and any modifications will void the Limited One-Year Warranty."

Kind of funny that they actually suggested I use this forum to find out lol

jayjayjay

I have both the AX3 and AX3FM (in blue), so I went ahead and grabbed my calipers. It's right around 52.5mm center to center between the bridge posts, give or take a point, so my memory was not so faulty. Basically each post is centered nearly directly beneath the low and high E strings.

That's on my AX3FM, but the AX3 has an identical bridge so far as I can tell.

Gomnana

I have both the AX3 and AX3FM (in blue), so I went ahead and grabbed my calipers. It's right around 52.5mm center to center between the bridge posts, give or take a point, so my memory was not so faulty. Basically each post is centered nearly directly beneath the low and high E strings.

That's on my AX3FM, but the AX3 has an identical bridge so far as I can tell.

Thanks for taking the time to measure it! Good to know the space between bridge posts.

Any chance you could grab your caliper one more time and measure the string spacing?

If the post to post spacing is around 52.5mm, it looks like very few after market bridges will fit.

jayjayjay

Thanks for taking the time to measure it! Good to know the space between bridge posts.

Any chance you could grab your caliper one more time and measure the string spacing?

If the post to post spacing is around 52.5mm, it looks like very few after market bridges will fit.
Looks like the string to string spacing is right around 10mm give or take a few points.

Bungholi0

Have you thought about getting a USA EBMM trem. It should drop straight in, and they come with a big brass block.

After all, its good enough for the top of the line models.

Gomnana

I don't think they are available for purchase on any retail sites. You can probably only get them directly from EBMM and I think they may only sell parts to owners of EBMM instruments. I've even heard people say you have to send them your original part you want replaced before they'll send out the new part.

I looked into that Wilkinson Wave trem, and it seems like it has 56mm or so spacing between the two posts, so I don't think even that would fit without drilling new holes for posts.

jayjayjay

I don't think they are available for purchase on any retail sites. You can probably only get them directly from EBMM and I think they may only sell parts to owners of EBMM instruments. I've even heard people say you have to send them your original part you want replaced before they'll send out the new part.

I looked into that Wilkinson Wave trem, and it seems like it has 56mm or so spacing between the two posts, so I don't think even that would fit without drilling new holes for posts.

Yeah, that's correct. EBMM will not sell their trem units; exchange only. For that matter, Sterling won't sell their trem units - I asked about getting a trem for a Cutlass (a little nicer than what's on the AX3), and they confirmed that they don't sell. If you want an EBMM trem unit, you'll probably need to find a Luke 3 that's trashed, or maybe someone selling aftermarket on Reverb.

I did a little poking, and the Floyd-Rose rail trem is a possibility. It will require drilling, but the spacing and design looks like it might cover the exiting stud holes. Otherwise, I haven't yet located a trem replacement w/ 52mm stud spacing.

Gomnana

I think any of the "rail" type bridges may be a possibility for the AX3. I'm not a huge fan of the FR rail tail because it's dive only.
I'm looking at the schematics of the Super Vee Bladerunner and the Max Hole Spacing is 58.7mm, and the Min Hole Spacing is 51.1mm.

I'll upload the schematics.

853100_BladeRunner_2_point (1)_1.jpg
What do you think, does it look like it could be a good fit without drilling any new post holes?
10.7 string spacing seems a little weird, like it's between modern and vintage spacing. I wonder if that would make for complications on the AX3 neck. The high e string is dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard by default on all Axis style guitars I have ever played.

That's another positive about opting for the Floyd Rose Rail I guess, it has a narrow string spacing (52) model. That + the aesthetics of the Floyd Rail would probably really suit the AX3.

The other unexplored option would be the Vegatrem. But I haven't been able to find schematics for the 2 post version of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom