• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BDC

Hey all, I recently purchased an EBMM EVH guitar. Upon research on the serial #, it comes up as being built on August 19th,1992, color Translucent Purple. Only problem, she’s Translucent Red. Everything thing else checks out. Pickups, and other hardware. I did see a post here in the forum about serial plates being placed on the wrong guitars back then.

Anyone have any information on this?

GWDavis28

Hey all, I recently purchased an EBMM EVH guitar. Upon research on the serial #, it comes up as being built on August 19th,1992, color Translucent Purple. Only problem, she’s Translucent Red. Everything thing else checks out. Pickups, and other hardware. I did see a post here in the forum about serial plates being placed on the wrong guitars back then.

Anyone have any information on this?

So there could be 2 things that happened. One the neck plate could have cracked or broken and it was swapped out with another one. Or since the EVH's are more on the older since, the serial number database could be wrong there have been some issues recently with older instruments. If you wanted you could have a blank neck plate made if it bothers you.

Glenn |B)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
There are certainly some errors in the database. I don't know how common it is but it does happen from time to time.

Could it also be a refinish? Wasn't translucent purple one of the colors that faded to nothing very quickly?

Have a close look at the logos on the headstock. Music Man silk screen print their logos, so they shouldn't be decals. If they are it's been refinished.

Welcome to the forum BDC!

lumberjack

The purple color was notorious for fading. Some I've seen there was hardly any color at all after the fade. I'm willing to bet it was refinished.

BDC

Hey guys! Thanks for the response. Checked under the pickups...all Red. Trem cavity is all black. There are dings all over this thing, nothing major though. Guitar sounds and plays great. The trem was replaced by original owner after cracking where the bar mounts. It now has the old, offset saddle Gotoh on it.

That being said , I don’t think it’s been refinished, but maybe wrong data plate installed , or something listed wrong i. The database. I have been considering getting it refinished, due to the dings and chips.

Also checked under bridge cavity,switch selector...all Red.

Last edited:
Top Bottom