• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Moonshot

Hello all, I'm looking for assistance & advice I can share with my tech on wiring up the silent circuit on my Albert Lee SSS.

I bought this guitar second-hand and it had SD SL5s installed, but I wanted more of a typical single coil sound and to utilize the silent circuit. My tech installed Bareknuckle Old Guard strat pickups for me and cleaned up the wiring, but there's more noise than i'd like in positions 1,3,5. I'm not very savvy with wiring and would appreciate if folks can tell if the silent circuit is wired up correctly and the trim pot needs adjusting or if the wiring needs to be corrected.

I looked at past threads and found the MM90 diagram, but as I said I'm not very savvy with wiring, so I can't tell if this is correct in the case of single coils that have 2 lead wires vs. the 3 shown in the MM90 diagram. I assume it's still possible to use these pickups and the silent circuit?

Pre and post Bareknuckle pictures attached. Really appreciate any assistance! If there are any diagrams or descriptions I can share with my tech that'd be great. Wonderful guitar and looking to avoid having to go for a pair of noiseless pickups and shell out some more cash.

thumbnail_image_67234049.jpg

thumbnail_image_50456065.jpg

beej

Ask CS to send you a copy of the SSS wiring diagram- that's what you want. Or PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Right now it's totally out of the circuit. What you want is to have the ground wires from the pickups wired to the Silent Circuit (forming a virtual ground where out-of-phase noise is added to quiet the pickups), not to ground. You'll also want to have the stereo jack wired up to disconnect the circuit so the battery doesn't drain when you disconnect your cable.

Top Bottom