• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Podicle

Hi all. I just picked up a 2011 Silhouette to go with my 2009 Silhouette Special. The two humbuckers have been swapped out with Duncan Phatcat P90s. I've only had the guitar a couple of days, and while it sounds great, I feel the P90s may be a bit restrictive tonally, and they are a bit tougher to gel with fuzz and drive. I have another P90 guitar, so I'm pretty used to their strengths and limitations.

Anyway, I have a Dimarzio Virtual PAF in the bridge of my special, but I see they are no longer available. What are some good substitutes for bridge and neck that will tap well for the in-between settings? I usually prefer lower output 'buckers and I'd prefer to stay away from expensive boutique options.

I am enjoying the uniqueness of the P90s given I have a bunch of strat-like guitars already, but I'll li,e to try it in its original configuration.
The new one is the white one. Thanks in advance!

A4457D68-AB13-4A4B-9926-AE8F119E476C.jpeg

racerx

P90s usually play really well with fuzz in my experience, so that is a surprise. Have you tried adjusting pickup height to see how those can be dialed in? It can make a big difference.

I've always liked Gibson's P-90/P-94, I think they do a really nice job there. If you want to go back to humbuckers, I always liked DiMarzio's PAF Pro, Tone Zone, Super Distortion, and Air Norton.

ohbugger

A little while ago, I changed from a white pickguard to a black one on a Silhouette Special. I chose the PAF 36th Anniversary in black to replace the stock white Virtual PAF, because on paper it seemed tonally similar. To my relatively simple ears, it did sound just about the same.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My first thought would the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary too, which is what replaced the virtual PAF from the DiMarzio line up. The price is right, the quality is top notch, and it avoids having to deal with different wiring colors from a different manufacturer! Of course DiMarzio now has 3 PAF-style pickups, the 36th Anniversary, the PAF Master, and the PAF 59.

nikwik

Hi all. I just picked up a 2011 Silhouette to go with my 2009 Silhouette Special. The two humbuckers have been swapped out with Duncan Phatcat P90s. I've only had the guitar a couple of days, and while it sounds great, I feel the P90s may be a bit restrictive tonally, and they are a bit tougher to gel with fuzz and drive. I have another P90 guitar, so I'm pretty used to their strengths and limitations.

Anyway, I have a Dimarzio Virtual PAF in the bridge of my special, but I see they are no longer available. What are some good substitutes for bridge and neck that will tap well for the in-between settings? I usually prefer lower output 'buckers and I'd prefer to stay away from expensive boutique options.

I am enjoying the uniqueness of the P90s given I have a bunch of strat-like guitars already, but I'll li,e to try it in its original configuration.
The new one is the white one. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 40118
Nice - just ordered that same purple pickguard for a Silhouette rebuild I am midway through. Mine came with no pickups at all and I have gone for a Dimarzio DP100 super distortion (because I had one in my 82 Strat back in 1983), a DP151 PAF Pro in the Neck and a DP425 Satchtrack in the middle. No real plan there so more of an experiment :)

Podicle

Thanks all for the suggestions. Nikwik, I have thought about that exact combination of Super Distortion and Pro.

daneford

My first thought would the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary too, which is what replaced the virtual PAF from the DiMarzio line up. The price is right, the quality is top notch, and it avoids having to deal with different wiring colors from a different manufacturer! Of course DiMarzio now has 3 PAF-style pickups, the 36th Anniversary, the PAF Master, and the PAF 59.
I'd throw the fortitude in there as well. Is a 36th anni with a slightly tweaked eq.

Podicle

Thanks again for the suggestions. Anyone know where the Silhouette wiring digram is?

jayjayjay

Thanks again for the suggestions. Anyone know where the Silhouette wiring digram is?
I understand that EBMM Customer Service will send it to you on request. If not, DiMarzio has a library of nearly every conceivable wiring schematic arranged by number/type of pickups and controls.

Cordarino

I have a Silhouette Special and want a little more output: anyone has experience with the Mo’ Joe?

Ventanaman

I agree with the 36th Anniv. and Fortitude recommendations. Also consider the Suhr Thornbucker Plus - another great vintage style pickup.

nikwik

HOLY MOLEY THAT IS SO COOL! :D

Tell me all about the switching and knobs and bottons and everything!
A couple of weeks ago I was gifted the neck and body without any hardware and the body was rather beat up (may have spent time in a skip) with some weird holes and wood blocks so its been a complete rebuild. I just used a dimarzio wiring diagram for the five way switch - the extra knob and switches are for the Roland GK3 divided pickup. Still need to do the frets but basically finished. Only thing I am a little disappointed with is the six bolt neck plate - I found one on ebay but when it arrived it looks like its for a bass so there is a bit of a bodge at the back with three dummy volts and the real bolts under the plate.

Top Bottom