• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rivers

I was wondering how the necks between the Silouhette Special vs the latest Luke III differ in terms of thickness? I believe both of them have the same nut width as the Axis Super Sport.

I currently own an Axis Super Sport and was wondering if anyone that has played both before could help chime in. Thanks!

Pink

Luke III neck profile is a bit beefier and has a soft V feel to it compared to the Silo Special. If you are more familiar with Fender's profiles, the Silo Special feels like their modern C.

Last edited:

Rivers

Luke III neck profile is a bit beefier and has a soft V feel to it compared to the Silo Special. If you are more familiar with Fender's profiles, the Silo Special feels like their modern C.
Any idea how they both compare to the neck on the ASS?

Pink

I owned an Axis several years back and don't recall disliking the neck. So, if my fading memory serves, it's similar to the Silo's thickness. There is a tangible difference between the Luke and the Silo, though.

More notable for me was the playing position of the Luke or Silo vs. the Axis. Despite all three being 25.5" scale length, the upper horn of the Luke and Silo make reaching the Cowboy frets extremely comfortable....It feels like playing a short scale guitar. THAT was significant compared to the Axis.

Mr.On

For me the V neck on the Luke seemed like if you bonded with it it would be something you would love forever. There has to be a reason that Steve Lukather has that shape and he does play a lot. I played the Silo Special first and found it so comfortable to play for long extended periods of time. So that's what worked for me.
They are both so good.

candyredsilo

I’ve had a couple of Silhouette Specs and currently have a Luke III.
To me, the SS neck is smaller in my hand.
The LIII feels like it has a little more girth and the soft V is wonderful.

Rivers

I'm guessing the SS neck is probably pretty similar to an Axis Super Sport neck then? I compared the Luke III to the ASS neck and it seems (to me) that the Luke III neck has slightly more girth and seems abit wider as well.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Width should the same at the nut for most 6-string Music Man guitars, which have the most common vintage Fender spec of 1 5/8". That's the same for the SS, Luke, and Axis. (The exceptions to that are the 6-string JP guitars, Sabre, and Jason Richardson Cutlass which have a wider nut.)

Top Bottom