• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Demious

I just bought a Sterling Maj170 and everything looks to be set up correctly now, the tremolo base plate is flush with the body, the bridge is super stable as long as I don't use the tremolo, but when I use the tremolo once, its completely out of tune. And not all string by the same distance, so I can wiggle the tremolo a bit to find the sweet spot again, but the 7th string drops by almost 50 cent, the 6th almost nothing, 5th a little, 4th 30-40 cent, 3rd 20-25 cent, 2nd almost nothing and 1st like 5-10 cent.

What experience do other Sterling Majestic owners have with use of the tremolo on their guitar?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
the 7th string drops by almost 50 cent, the 6th almost nothing, 5th a little, 4th 30-40 cent, 3rd 20-25 cent, 2nd almost nothing and 1st like 5-10 cent.
Do doctors love you? You give such great info that really helps diagnosis! :)

Is there "ping!" noises when coming from the headstock when you tune or use the whammy bar? Do you find some strings get close to in tune, briefly stop tuning and then suddenly jump too far? Are they new strings, correctly installed and stretched in, and locking tuners tight enough?

One thing you can do right away is LUBRICATE! That means the string slots in the nut and the top of the saddles. I prefer white lithium grease, but vaseline or lip balm work great too, as does pencil lead. (I don't recommend liquid oils, small chance of damage to wood if there is seepage and soakage, but if you can't find a black pencil, 3-n-1 oil will do fine). There are commercial products you can buy that work well but the above options are perfectly good too.

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited:

Demious

My doctor loves me! I always know whats wrong and what I want him to prescribe, he doesnt even ask questions anymore. HAHA😜

Strings are brand new, I checked if there are no hangups at the bridge, stretched a couple of dozen times and tuner locks are tight. I do have one string that indeed stops moving when I come close to the prefered note, and then jumps up. The other 6 seem to be fine. Also no pinging noises from the head stock, so far.

But I indeed havent thought about lubracation yet, so Im going to have a look at that.

Thanks for the advise!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
But I indeed havent thought about lubracation yet, so Im going to have a look at that.
It'll definitely help! The only time Lubrication does not help is double locking tremolo systems (like a Floyd Rose) where everything is locked down - if there is no motion across the nut or saddles, no lubrication required. But all other instruments (acoustics, mandolins, basses, hardtail electrics) all benefit from lubrication at the nut. Old blog post I wrote many years ago...

Demious

Most of my instruments have Graphtec self-lubricating nuts, so I'm a bit out of the habit of paying attention to it, I guess. ;)

Top Bottom