• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TripHazard

Didn’t know this was coming - think they have knocked it out the park with this

jayjayjay

I wonder how they compare to the EBMM versions (both standard and the new HT). Both EBMM models use custom-wound EBMM pickups. The Sterling version uses Fishman Fluence.

The Sterling version clocks in at $1500 USD, so I don't plan on picking one up, mostly b/c I have an EBMM BFR Sabre (the run from a couple years ago with an all-rosewood neck), and it's become my go-to instrument. I absolutely love it - I don't think there's a thing I would change.

Maybe someone will post a comparison on YouTube or something...

edhalen

I wonder how they compare to the EBMM versions (both standard and the new HT). Both EBMM models use custom-wound EBMM pickups. The Sterling version uses Fishman Fluence.

The Sterling version clocks in at $1500 USD, so I don't plan on picking one up, mostly b/c I have an EBMM BFR Sabre (the run from a couple years ago with an all-rosewood neck), and it's become my go-to instrument. I absolutely love it - I don't think there's a thing I would change.

Maybe someone will post a comparison on YouTube or something...
I briefly owned an EBMM in Boujee Burst. At the time something came up and I had to sell it. It was really nice as you'd expect. I've since gravitated to larger necks so we'll see how this one compares. From my experience the SBMM versions of the EBMM guitars usually have thicker necks - which I've always liked. We'll see how this one compares. From what I've read the Fishman Fluence pups are solid and pretty versatile. Looking forward to taking it for a spin. We'll see if it's a keeper.

edhalen

Here's a comp video - only comp video I could find. In the vid he says the neck feels identical to his EBMM version. That has me completely surprised and a bit concerned as it may be a bit thin for me currently. Time will tell. Taking delivery tomorrow.

edhalen

I wrote to SBMM asking about exactly which Fluence pups are in the Sabre as well as the switching diagram. I was told the Classic Alnico is in the neck position and the Ceramic is in the bridge position (I could not find this information on the SBMM site). I've attached the switching diagram in case anyone ever needs it. Save you an email to SBMM :)

SABRE_Controls (002).jpg

edhalen

Well, fretwork is junk relatively speaking. Grooves on the frets and others are like sandpaper. SS frets too which is a complete surprise that they'd be in such bad shape for a new-ish guitar. Not a scratch on it anywhere. Sad for such a nice guitar for the $ otherwise. It's going back.

jayjayjay

Well, fretwork is junk relatively speaking. Grooves on the frets and others are like sandpaper. SS frets too which is a complete surprise that they'd be in such bad shape for a new-ish guitar. Not a scratch on it anywhere. Sad for such a nice guitar for the $ otherwise. It's going back.
I had the same experience with my second Sterling Axis - the frets felt awful. On closer inspection (as in, I took a macro photo and zoomed in), it looked like someone had used a coarse grit sanding beam on the frets to level them - and they were level, I'll give that - but then never bothered to clean up the sanding marks. I guess that's how they were saving money, and admittedly, the Axis was around $400. If I were paying $1500, I would have been more bothered.

At any rate, I spent a couple hours with my set of fret erasers (worked through all the grits) and a polish sheet, and they're muuuuuch better now. Maybe not quite to the level of my EBMM instruments - the fret work on those is sublime, like glass when I do bends - but certainly equal to my other guitars. To be sure, I would expect polished frets on any guitar with a price point over $1k, at a minimum.

edhalen

Sounds eerily similiar to what I experienced. But I'm not working on a guitar that heavily when about $1350 was spent on it. As it turns out I snagged a real deal Sabre over the weekend. Deal was too good to pass up. I'll end up with two electrics to play. This new (to me in excellent condition - looks like unplayed or played lightly - a GC return it appears) one and a SBMM AX4 which plays amazing for the $. But I digress..... :) As we all know the craftmanship of a real deal EBMM can't be beat.

jayjayjay

Sounds eerily similiar to what I experienced. But I'm not working on a guitar that heavily when about $1350 was spent on it. As it turns out I snagged a real deal Sabre over the weekend. Deal was too good to pass up. I'll end up with two electrics to play. This new (to me in excellent condition - looks like unplayed or played lightly - a GC return it appears) one and a SBMM AX4 which plays amazing for the $. But I digress..... :) As we all know the craftmanship of a real deal EBMM can't be beat.
Congrats, can't wait to see pics! I love my Sabre - I'm sure you will as well.

Sounds like you scored a deal similar to how I got my EBMM Axis. It was a GC return, and so I was able to get it for a substantial discount off the list. Too good to pass up, and basically new. Only issue is a bad volume pot, but for what I paid, I'm happy to pull out my soldering iron.

Top Bottom