• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Natas

I have this 2002 EBMM stingray 5h-piezo in black. The problem is, the paint keeps flaking, may be due to the humidity here in the philippines. I would not mind wear and tear from use, but not this type.. it would flake in unlikely places!
I have convinced myself that it is time for a repaint..
My choices as of now are:
1. Repaint with the same color (black)
-might be the safest choice yet not so dramatic
2. Repaint with chameleon (color changing) paint
-color looks so cool but may end up being passe through time
3. Ceruse with maple stain being the base color and color the grains black
-I am assuming the outcome would be killer in boutique basses,but not so sure in more traditional shaped ones

Which one would you prefer?
Will the value fluctuate that much if repainted in a color other than the original one? Will it also lose value even if repainted in the same color?BTW, I will spend more time looking at this more than playing it, since my pbass tend to be used 80 percent of the time..
TIA for your responses

Attachments

• 20200725_071330.jpg
    20200725_071330.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 169

tbonesullivan

Just make sure it's done nicely. Are there any holes where the flakes occur? Seems kind of odd that things would just flake off in random locations like that.

Natas

Just make sure it's done nicely. Are there any holes where the flakes occur? Seems kind of odd that things would just flake off in random locations like that.

No holes judging from the spots i have already sanded..
if painted black or chameleon, it will be done by a pro painter of automobiles.. if it will be the ceruse (natural and stained), I might try those furniture shops

Natas

My guess would be sudden humidity change or moisture. Got is second hand btw

Natas

Anything besides black is my vote.

Would it not lose that much of value ? Anyway it is not a limited run production or anything like that, but it still is registered black at the serial number database and I am pretty sure it is marked "black" on the pickup cavity

danny-79

Any Refinish however good will always devalue the bass in question.
With that in mind and really not caring about resale value as it’s your bass in the now and you want it how you want it so go for it !

I’ve refinished a few of my guitars and basses now, (and a few for others) all full body strips and all using nitrocellulose paint systems.

tbonesullivan

My guess would be sudden humidity change or moisture. Got is second hand btw
I was just thinking back to a time someone ended up with woodworm in their bass, and humidity is required for that. So if you see little holes where the paint is missing, definitely look into that.

danny-79

I was just thinking back to a time someone ended up with woodworm in their bass, and humidity is required for that. So if you see little holes where the paint is missing, definitely look into that.

That’s doesn’t sound like fun !
I’ve seen YouTube horrors of guitars with woodworm. It’s treatable as with anything but not something you ever want to have to deal with

N4860

If the paint is already flaking off dramatically, I don't think a refinish is going to hurt the resale value much at all. In fact, I would personally pay more for a bass with a good refinish compared to the same bass that has original paint that is flaking off. Resale value is going to come down to whoever ends up buying it though.

I would paint it something other than black but that's just my preference. It's easy enough to find a black bass so I would suggest doing something more fun.

In regards to the doing natural stain, I would think you would need to see the stripped body first before determining if that is a good idea because you are going to want to know how the grain looks first. I've never seen the grain of a stripped stingray though. The natural stingrays look great, but those could possibly be picked ahead of time because of their nice grain and then they might just paint the bodies that don't have as nice of grain.

mouth

Black/maple is the sexiest Stingray look, but that's just me. I know what I'd paint it.

Natas

If the paint is already flaking off dramatically, I don't think a refinish is going to hurt the resale value much at all. In fact, I would personally pay more for a bass with a good refinish compared to the same bass that has original paint that is flaking off. Resale value is going to come down to whoever ends up buying it though.

I would paint it something other than black but that's just my preference. It's easy enough to find a black bass so I would suggest doing something more fun.

In regards to the doing natural stain, I would think you would need to see the stripped body first before determining if that is a good idea because you are going to want to know how the grain looks first. I've never seen the grain of a stripped stingray though. The natural stingrays look great, but those could possibly be picked ahead of time because of their nice grain and then they might just paint the bodies that don't have as nice of grain.

Thanks man, makes a lot of sense.. if i have to go with any color besides black, i would strip the whole bass first, look at the grains and decide from there.. if ever, you think a blue/green/purple colorshift will be too much? I have not seen a stingray repainted with it yet

Top Bottom