• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wrashchild

Hi everyone. I’ve just seen a bass for sale in Japan. The serial number says it’s a limited edition envy green model from 2004. But all photos I’ve found seem to have a green headstock. This one doesn’t. It also looks like the neck is a diffferent colour.
Is it just a different headstock? Great deal but it’s suspicious.
What do you make of it?
PHOTOS

Rod Trussbroken

Envy Green was introduced in 2004. Only the front of the headstock is painted to match the body colour. The rear of the headstock is a natural wood finish and should have a decal "Made in San Luis Obispo....." The back of the neck (not the headstock) is gunstock oil and wax up to where it reaches the finished headstock. There should be a distinctive line across the neck at this point and explains the difference in finish and colour between the back of the headstock and back of the neck.

Last edited:

wrashchild

Man I forgot to take a photo of the front of the headstock. That isn’t green either. It’s the same colour as the back. Just the wood finish.
So the only thing that is “off” is that.
I’ve searched for photos but they all have the green.
Envy Green was introduced in 2004. Only the front of the headstock is painted to match the body colour. The rear of the headstock is a natural wood finish and should have a decal "Made in San Luis Obispo....." The back of the neck (not the headstock) is gunstock oil and wax up to where it reaches the finished headstock. There should be a distinctive line across the neck at this point and explains the difference in finish and colour between the back of the headstock and back of the neck.

BASS67

In the serial data base file it says SLO Special Maple Neck "PAU FERRO" Lined "FRETLESS "
Matching Headstock.
The neck of pics doesn't look like "Pau Ferro" fingerboard, more like a rosewood to me, and obviously it's not "Fretless. We would need more photos.
Am I wrong?

wrashchild

In the serial data base file it says SLO Special Maple Neck "PAU FERRO" Lined "FRETLESS "
Matching Headstock.
The neck of pics doesn't look like "Pau Ferro" fingerboard, more like a rosewood to me, and obviously it's not "Fretless. We would need more photos.
Am I wrong?
I did notice that. I think the headstock has been replaced or something. It’s in the store but I’ll take more photos. Very confused by it because every photo of this model has a green headstock on the front

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Envy Green and Radiance Red both came out in 2004 as a limited edition, and they had black painted headstocks with gold silk screen print (front of the headstock only). It should also have a limited edition neck plate. The one in the link below has an E prefix serial number and also incorrectly comes up in the serial number database as "SLO Special Maple Neck Pau Ferro Lined Fretless Matching Headstock".

BASS67

I have found other Envy Green Stingrays and in the database they all have the same neck specs error?:unsure:

Serial #E42203
ManufacturedSeptember 28th, 2004
Build Code110-L2-23-06-CS-CR
ModelStingRay 3 EQ H
ColorLimited Edition Envy Green
NeckSLO Special Maple Neck Pau Ferro Lined Fretless Matching Headstock
HardwareChrome Hardware

Serial #E42412
ManufacturedNovember 3rd, 2004
Build Code110-L2-23-06-CS-CR
ModelStingRay 3 EQ H
ColorLimited Edition Envy Green
NeckSLO Special Maple Neck Pau Ferro Lined Fretless Matching Headstock
HardwareChrome Hardware

Last edited:

Golem

Maybe it was converted away from fretless by someone who needed it that way. Somewhere a normal body is wearing a special fretless neck.

Top Bottom