• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Hansman

Hi, I bought Ernie Ball Super Slinky Strings on eBay.
And now I think they could be fake. :confused:

What is your guess?

Hansman

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen a YouTube video about the fakes.
And also that chinese sticker on the back made me curios.

I just bought my first guitar, and wanted some good quality strings.
So i can't really tell by the sound.

Tollywood

The easy way to identify fake strings is the ball on the end. In the pictures I’ve seen of fakes, the ball is rough and a different metal. Yours look real to me.

tbonesullivan

From what I can see, the Chinese sticker is the inventory tag from the retailer, who appears to be in China. It mentions "ERNIE BALL INC" probably next to the Chinese word for supplier.

Twang Banger

Really, who fakes guitar strings? I can't imagine strings to be the kind of item that has high enough margin or sales volume to make it worth the effort.

tbonesullivan

Really, who fakes guitar strings? I can't imagine strings to be the kind of item that has high enough margin or sales volume to make it worth the effort.
You'd be surprised. There are some really cheap makers overseas, and they make strings under contract for other companies. Well someone there then gets the idea "lets just copy the packaging from this other company and sell them ourselves" to make more money.

Danley

Dadarrio has some special code on each package of strings, prompting you to enter a code and learn whether your strings are fake or not - seems pretty unusual but apparently fake strings are not a totally incorrigible idea to some.

(*I honestly must have grabbed the Dadarrios on accident. I don't normally buy Dadarrio, never mind an electric set with a wound G, but there it is on top of my amp :eek: .)

danny-79

I’ve been had in the past with fake strings (acoustic Elixirs in my case) everything was off with them from the packaging to the strings them self.
Apparently there are fake strings of every brand possible. I mail order mine and only use a couple of trusted sellers

Top Bottom