• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

_golem

Value wise I'm comfortable, I just don't have much experience with these guitars and all the demos have a lot of gain.
Apparently this one is old enough to have the Dimarzio transition in the bridge.
I'd be trading my Derek Trucks SG. I don't know when I'll get around to the trade as he's a few hours away.

edit: Greg Koch demo may use a newer version that I'm not sure has the transition in the bridge but at least it's lower gain. maybe the singles are the same?

Last edited:

racerx

It’s hard to beat any of the Lukes in terms of flexibility. Consider the artist it is made for, Luke will go from vanilla pop, to r&b, to face melting shred. The necks are very comfortable with a V to C carve, they’re reasonably light, they balance well, and sound great. SGs are cool guitars but to me it would seem the Luke is the much more flexible and better sounding option.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If I recall correctly, the DiMarzio equipped L3 had Dimarzio noiselss single coils that were similar to the Injectors. Real coil sound, as noiseless as any humbucker, but robust output and not so bright that they'd sound wrong next to the Transition humbucker, which has quite a punch. It's a great combination!

_golem

That sounds cool. I'd probably prefer that right now simply because I have Fenders with Kinmans and a Silver Sky.

_golem

I mean it's a signature SG that's a little less common. I'll likely take him up on it. I don't know much much I'll like the neck but I'm certain I'll prefer the feature set.

_golem

I picked it up. The neck is a bit thinner than I like, but I've always loved roasted maple and that finish EBMM uses on the back. The pickups I haven't tried to adjust but in their current setup it's definitely a warmer fuller single coil like tone with no noise. I feel like that's often the vibe I go for and I've got Kinmans in my strats when I want a more single coil like tone.

GWDavis28

Nice man!!!!! Classic black. Again congrats and how do you like it?

Glenn |B)

Gemmy

I’m considering picking up one of these locally for a great price. One question I want to be sure of though… because this guitar is not a double locking trem, but it still has a bit of a floaty bridge, is this guitar able to be changed between E standard and E flat tunings often?

Rbg

Depends on how your floating trem set up, if it is very close to the deck then you may end up decking it. If it is as suggested (mine floating a bit higher on the L2) then you will be absolutely fine with E-flat. It is like any other non vintage floating tremolo.

beej

By default, you can pull up three semitones on the G string. But you can easily deck it so you can detune without going out of tune. Personally I have mine decked.

Gemmy

Depends on how your floating trem set up, if it is very close to the deck then you may end up decking it. If it is as suggested (mine floating a bit higher on the L2) then you will be absolutely fine with E-flat. It is like any other non vintage floating tremolo.
I would plan to have it set up to the factory specs.

Gemmy

By default, you can pull up three semitones on the G string. But you can easily deck it so you can detune without going out of tune. Personally I have mine decked.
So if it's set up to factory specs, you can not freely go between E standard and E flat?

racerx

So if it's set up to factory specs, you can not freely go between E standard and E flat?
You can but you have to account for a "floating trem" requires more effort to setup properly as opposed to a "decked trem". Floating means the string tension and spring tension have to be balanced for the desired amount of "float". A decked trem can simply set the spring tension to "max"(ish) and the tuning can be changed freely. In either scenario a significant tuning change should come with the appropriate truss rod adjustment first before making bridge changes.

Neither is right or wrong, simply player preference. Most of my guitars are decked except, coincidentally, my Luke (which I have set to float per factory specs).

Gemmy

You can but you have to account for a "floating trem" requires more effort to setup properly as opposed to a "decked trem". Floating means the string tension and spring tension have to be balanced for the desired amount of "float". A decked trem can simply set the spring tension to "max"(ish) and the tuning can be changed freely. In either scenario a significant tuning change should come with the appropriate truss rod adjustment first before making bridge changes.

Neither is right or wrong, simply player preference. Most of my guitars are decked except, coincidentally, my Luke (which I have set to float per factory specs).
Let me clarify. What im trying to say is if I set this guitar up in E standard tuning and go to a band rehearsal where they play in E flat, can I retune to E flat in that moment without the tuning going crazy/haywire? I can use a pitch shifter on my Fractal but would rather not if I dont need to

beej

No. You can't easily change your tuning with a floating trem.

Fwiw, I deck my trem and still find it easier to use the 'Virtual Capo' on the HX Stomp to go to Eb for a few tunes, rather than spent time detuning in the middle of a set or having to drag another guitar along to a gig.

Top Bottom