• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fogman

Personally, I think the color options (lack there of) didn't help.
Black. White. Gold. Sunburst. <yawn>

beej

I have a 25th (the predecessor) and love it too.

But yeah, cosmetically it is close to the Axis, and the tops were plain, so it was hard to get as excited about it as I did the 25th, or the Axis models.

Still, great guitar.

Ninemile

I have always thought, and avoided them for the same reason, that the Reflex was geared towards computer integration vs plugging it into an amp and playing. I very well may be way off on my assumption and probably am.

skelt101

Personally, I think the color options (lack there of) didn't help.
Black. White. Gold. Sunburst. <yawn>

I have a 25th (the predecessor) and love it too.

But yeah, cosmetically it is close to the Axis, and the tops were plain, so it was hard to get as excited about it as I did the 25th, or the Axis models.

Still, great guitar.
Agreed. Although, special colors apparently did happen. There was a transparent black/charcoal flametop on Reverb recently. It didn't last long...

beej

I have always thought, and avoided them for the same reason, that the Reflex was geared towards computer integration vs plugging it into an amp and playing. I very well may be way off on my assumption and probably am.
Are you thinking of the Gamechanger? That was built on the Relfex guitar. The Reflex is passive.

Even then, the Gamechanger was designed to be used like any other guitar- just gave you tons of switching options that weren't possible without a lot of rewiring :)

Last edited:

alf cockle

I mean..it,s got everything the axis series doesnt have..arm contour,series/parallel switch,and a slightly bigger feeling neck..I have the goldtop,which is the most succulent pearl yellow,I guess,you,ll ever see...I,m drooling as I type...wtf...poor choice of colours..maybe..sigh..the world wasn,t ready for...perfection...maybe the name...dunno..I do remember Sterling begging knuckleheads to buy them..a long time ago..for stupidly low $...I,m not tawking about the gamechanger..the barebones reflex.

BUC

The gamechanger is actually my main gigging guitar. I mean...I have 11 different pickup selections rapidly available plus the piezo...nothing you can't cover. I actually came to love the black color. I think because I started life as a keyboard player I'm not afraid of technology like a lot of guitar players who can't deviate from anything deemed vintage.

BTW, the neck on the GC is way different than the 25th. Much thinner/flatter. But otherwise they feel similar. They don't really sound similar though, even though I have the pickup selector on the GC set to near identical to what the 25th is.

Ninemile

Are you thinking of the Gamechanger? That was built on the Relfex guitar. The Reflex is passive.

Even then, the Gamechanger was designed to be used like any other guitar- just gave you tons of switching options that weren't possible without a lot of rewiring :)
That's exactly it beej! I was thinking of the Gamechanger. It may be like all other guitars but as soon as I see a USB and 5 pin input my eye glaze over and I get confused. It's my issue and not technology's. Thanks!

BUC

That's exactly it beej! I was thinking of the Gamechanger. It may be like all other guitars but as soon as I see a USB and 5 pin input my eye glaze over and I get confused. It's my issue and not technology's. Thanks!
I haven't had mine hooked up to the USB in years. When you first get it, you'll spend some time playing with the zillions of pickup options but you'll eventually find what works for you and probably never plug it in again.

I have one bank of 5 that are more "chimey" and vintage and another band of 5 that are more mid-focused and higher output and then I have the switch on the horn able to get all the single coil sounds that I don't use a lot. The piezo is on for all positions, but it's really controlled via my Helix, so patches that use the piezo use the piezo input and patches that don't, I don't have that input turned on.

But to think that I have basically 14 unique pickup selections available in less than 2 switch changes is pretty powerful. Pair that with a Helix or similar modeller and your ears are the only limit of what you can do.

Ishmun

Really hope they do a special run or reissue of this - as everyone said with a better set of colour options.

I'd never heard of the 25th/reflex when I first tried it...it has become my favourite guitar (see my avatar :) )

Definitely a cult classic and very rare here in Australia!!

Top Bottom