• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

themtj

Hey friends, I am a long-time guitar player but have never owned an Ernie Ball Music Man. I got a trade offer on my local Craigslist for what he calls an "Ernie Ball Axis Super Sport with piezo." My digging suggests that this is an MM90, but there are A LOT of variations.

This has a trem system (seems like a lot are hardtails).
This has P90s (most seem to have humbuckers)
This has a third knob (I assume that is a piezo blend/control)
This silver color doesn't seem to be unheard of, but it is rare.

This thing definitely has my interest. Any idea what specific model this is OR what it is worth?

mm90.jpg

mm90-2.jpg

mm90-3.jpg

GWDavis28

So I love the MM90's, the over wound single coils, they just have a grit in my opinion. If your an EVH fan, it's pretty much the same body style.

Colors were made, there are no specific number on how many of what color were ever made. Yes the 3rd knob is for the piezo. It looks to be in really good shape. If you like it go for it.

Glenn |B)

racerx

They’re fantastic guitars and I was fortunate to pick one up from a fellow forum member. The flexibility is a joy and having easy access to “acoustic sounds” is great for covers and recording needs.

Value is a tough call because of how skewed sales have been the past few years but I’d estimate $14-1600 depending on the context today. That one looks clean, has a great neck figure, and matching headstock.

themtj

Thanks guys! It sounds like they don't have a specific model name for each variation? This is an MM90 with P90s, piezo, and this silver color? A lot of companies would call it like an MM90PPie or something crazy like that to put all the specs and variations in the name.

themtj

I identify this as a nice guitar.
Oh I'm definitely excited for it. I played a knockoff (OLP MM1) all through high school. Very excited to hold the real thing.

This is a straight trade for an American G&L tele that I don't like so it seems like a good deal.

Johnny Alien

That's a really good deal. Axis Sports and Super Sports are selling pretty high right now and the piezo will knock it up a few bucks (but not a ton). I LOVE MM-90 pickups but they apparently didn't sell well and got discontinued. They tend to sell a bit lower on the used market than humbucker models. Either way IMO that would sell for a much higher value than a USA G&L ASAT. Report back when you have it.

themtj

That's a really good deal. Axis Sports and Super Sports are selling pretty high right now and the piezo will knock it up a few bucks (but not a ton). I LOVE MM-90 pickups but they apparently didn't sell well and got discontinued. They tend to sell a bit lower on the used market than humbucker models. Either way IMO that would sell for a much higher value than a USA G&L ASAT. Report back when you have it.
I loved it, but the guy was a tire kicker who didn't like the action on the tele so he just wasted my lunch hour.

daneford

I'd jump on it. In fact, I've been looking for one with these specs. Killer guitars.

jmmp

I’ve got a MM90 Super Sport in a similar silver. Mines hardtail, no piezo, and it has shot up to be one of my main players QUICK! It’s got me looking for a MM90 Albert Lee to go with it.

wannarock8

Thanks guys! It sounds like they don't have a specific model name for each variation? This is an MM90 with P90s, piezo, and this silver color? A lot of companies would call it like an MM90PPie or something crazy like that to put all the specs and variations in the name.
No specific model names for the different variations. It’s an Axis Super Sport with MM90 pickups and a piezo.
Very cool find. I’d like to get a Music Man with MM90s sometime.

Top Bottom