• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bojondar

Hi everyone,

I've got some issue on my 4 String Old Smoothie,

First time i bought it, it was completely okay, the action was Low, playbility was even all across the fingerboard

After 5 months of playing, the neck become Bow (concave), and the action was not Low anymore and it more difficult to play on the middle of the fingerboard ( 5th fret to 12th fret)

So i Adjust the truss rod, a huge amount of rotation, and its relief but not as good as were played the first time, so i was afraid to add more rotation (still difficult to play on the middle part of the fingerboard)

I had an experience on my Big Al basses, the same problem, and the double action truss rod was borken, sent it back to Ernieball and i was given a Brand New Neck

because of that experience i was afraid to add more further adjustmen on the truss rod, remembering that i've a plenty rotation on the truss rod

Does anyone know or Maybe ernieball can give me explanation about
1. How do we know that Our double action truss rod are on their maximum roatation to give more change on the neck profile?

2. If After a Heavy rotation the Neck just move A bit forward, how to make the truss rod on A zero neutral position, so we can Press the neck so it can be on Zero position the neck and the double action inside the neck (straightenind the neck) so with some tools we can do it like on This Stewmac youtube channel

Dan Erlewine - Straightening Bass Neck - YouTube

Regards

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

EBMM guitars do not have a double action truss rod. Are you sure you are turning it the right direction?

If it was "concave" that is a forward bow. But you sound like it was in back bow? Do you keep the bass in a moisture controlled environment, and do you keep it on a stand? You don't do neck bends, do you?

bojondar

EBMM guitars do not have a double action truss rod. Are you sure you are turning it the right direction?

If it was "concave" that is a forward bow. But you sound like it was in back bow? Do you keep the bass in a moisture controlled environment, and do you keep it on a stand? You don't do neck bends, do you?

God daang after all these years and all of my musicman basses, just knew it only one action, yes turning it clockwise

it was upbow, the string is High, very humid area, had no problem with My other musicman basses

not doing neck bending like billy sheehan, keep it on laying position oftenly on the bed

hmm, maybe i should Straightening the neck by make it Fully counter clockwise and press the neck

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Maybe pull the neck, and take of the truss rod nut? See if it is in one piece and make sure the threads are intact.

Does it go into back bow if you remove all tension from the strings?

Top Bottom