• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Alucard21

Hi everybody! Im looking for a new amp. There is a guy selling a Mesa Rectoverb 50. I would like to try it but i never had a valve amp so i dont know which are the "routine" steps to check a used valve amp....some help please? Thank you very much.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Mostly - if it works and you like the sound of it, buy it. That's the most important thing. Valves are consumable, i.e. they may eventually wear out and need replacement, just like guitar strings or sparks plugs in a car. But that's not really a problem and Mesa amps are designed to simplify that process (provided you buy their brand of valves, which you are not obliged to do). And there a bunch of mesa fans here (and Mesa have their own forum) so replacements need not be a scary ordeal.

Like buying a used car, when buying a used amp you can never be 100% sure that there wont be issues down the road but that's why you test drive and kick the tires and try to buy from somebody you trust. (And if the seller has original receipts and/or service info, even better).

Test the amp and see if you like it and how it sounds. If you really like the sound of the amp, if it's not too loud or too quite or too heavy and it's within your budget then buy it. And be honest with yourself too - if 60% of your playing is clean tones, probably not a good idea to settle for a clean tone that doesn't float your boat because the death metal sounds are sublime.

Spudmurphy

A good check is to let the amp warm up. then whilst putting your guitar through it, with a clenched fist, give the amp a good thump on the top!! (You'll damage your hand before you damage the amp!!) If it starts crackling and popping it will indicate possibly bad valves, or the pins may be splayed on the valve - some people like to "wiggle" valves too much when they take them out and this can cause problems with the valve pins seating well in the valve bases.

check that the fuse is "a fuse" and not a piece of silver paper.

Look at the transformers - if rusted - then it will indicate that the amp has been stored in damp conditions.

these are just some of the things you can check for.

ksandvik

Contrary to assumptions, Mesa RectoVerbs and mini Rectifiers have decent to nice clean sounds if needed. Yes I would tap on the top to see if the sound changes, if tubes are worn out, preamp tubes you get a strange rattling sound with some fret positions, power tubes it just sounds tired and non-responsive. Even better if you dare to open the amp up and tap the tubes with a pencil while running, if rattling or or sounds from specific tube, then it's a bad one. Mesas have self-biasing tubes so it's a no-brainer to replace tubes. But as mentioned, bad tubes should not stop someone from purchasing a good amp.

Top Bottom