• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Simmons 2.0

Hey so I recently bought a ebmm majesty 6 string, I love it so much and was wondering what people's suggestions were on maintaining and cleaning the guitar?

What do you use on the fretboard, neck and body? Can you just use standard disinfectant wipes on everything or is there certain products you must use?

Cheers,

jayjayjay

I usually just wipe my guitars down with a microfiber cloth before I put them away. Fender sells nice ones, I keep one in the case of each of my instruments. For when cleaning is necessary, I use Dunlop 65 guitar polish sprayed onto a microfiber cloth. Be sure to clean the cloth out periodically, otherwise it will trap particles that can scratch the finish. For the fretboard, you can use lemon oil unless it has a finish (some EBMM instruments use a light satin polyurethane), in which case just use the Dunlop 65. If I recall right, the Majesty has a gloss-finished back of the neck. I don't know whether the fretboard is also finished, though.

Alternatively, grab some Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes fretboard conditioner packs.

Edit: I usually use the polish when I'm changing strings, so I can get to the whole instrument. From time to time, you may also want to use a carnuba wax on the glossy finished parts. One of my instruments has the iconic EBMM tru-oil and wax finish, so I don't generally use the polish on that neck. I haven't cleaned that neck yet, but I believe the recommendation is to use Murphy's wood soap if it needs it. You can also use 0000 steel wool on an unfinished fretboard to get off tough grime, but that's controversial - mostly b/c if you don't completely seal off the pickups and all body cavities then carefully remove the seals when done, steel wool bits will find their way into the electronics and cause havoc over time.

Last edited:

Simmons 2.0

I usually just wipe my guitars down with a microfiber cloth before I put them away. Fender sells nice ones, I keep one in the case of each of my instruments. For when cleaning is necessary, I use Dunlop 65 guitar polish sprayed onto a microfiber cloth. Be sure to clean the cloth out periodically, otherwise it will trap particles that can scratch the finish. For the fretboard, you can use lemon oil unless it has a finish (some EBMM instruments use a light satin polyurethane), in which case just use the Dunlop 65. If I recall right, the Majesty has a gloss-finished back of the neck. I don't know whether the fretboard is also finished, though.

Alternatively, grab some Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes fretboard conditioner packs.

Edit: I usually use the polish when I'm changing strings, so I can get to the whole instrument. From time to time, you may also want to use a carnuba wax on the glossy finished parts. One of my instruments has the iconic EBMM tru-oil and wax finish, so I don't generally use the polish on that neck. I haven't cleaned that neck yet, but I believe the recommendation is to use Murphy's wood soap if it needs it. You can also use 0000 steel wool on an unfinished fretboard to get off tough grime, but that's controversial - mostly b/c if you don't completely seal off the pickups and all body cavities then carefully remove the seals when done, steel wool bits will find their way into the electronics and cause havoc over time.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I was looking at the Ernie ball wonder wipes and it has a cancer/reproductive warning on it? Is there any precautions needed before using them?

jayjayjay

I wouldn't worry. Those warnings are a result of California's Proposition 65, enacted back in 1986. Many chemicals in some way can cause cancer, and companies who operate or sell into California (EB is a California company) are required to post the warning on anything that has a chemical in an amount that causes more than a 1:100,000 lifetime chance of cancer. As there's no consequence for over-warning, companies post those warnings on just about everything to avoid running afoul of the law and getting sued. Case in point - I've seen the sticker on coffee mugs and other drinkware (!), because something in the glaze, ceramic, or ink could cause cancer.

The warnings are less than helpful because they're required simply if the chemical is present, and don't account for the likelhood that you'll actually be exposed to the chemical. To use the mug example, the glaze or ceramic may contain a potential low-level carcinogen if _inhaled_, but otherwise would never affect whatever you're drinking. The warning is nevertheless slapped on the mug.

In the case of the wipes, it may be that there are volatile chemicals that, if inhaled or consumed, could pose a cancer risk long-term. So, don't eat the wipe, don't put it over your nose and mouth for a dust rag, don't huff the fumes, and you should be fine.

Lax

Microfiber cloth on matte zones.
Lemon oil and toothbrush and wipe on fretboard.
Dunlop Polish and cornuba oil on shiny finish.

mikeller

Is your Majesty a Matte finish or a gloss finish? It makes a difference

As far as fingerboard - I would use Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes occassionally

Top Bottom