• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Alrod

So back in 2005 I did something I never thought I would do. I sold my Purple '91 EBMM EVH. The offer was too good to give up. I had sellers remorse for a long time. Fast forward to 2018, I had a strong urge to purchase another EBMM EVH. As of last week after searching high and low I have two sitting in my studio that spoke to me. Both are 1995 and have gorgeous quilted tops. One is Natural the other Trans Gold. The problem is, I can only keep one.

I like both, but they are two different animals. One has a neck that is slightly thicker, one sounds slightly warmer. One sounds slightly more articulate. I will play one for a while and think, yes, this is the one. Then I will pick up the other and think, no, this is the one. I went as far as having my wife blind fold me. I was constantly able to identify the Trans Gold from the Natural one. They are that distinct, one from the other.

Here are some of the specs:

Trans Gold
Bridge Pickup = 17.46 Ohm
Neck Pickup = 14.56 Ohm
Volume Pot = 620 Ohm

Natural
Bridge Pickup = 17.00 Ohm
Neck Pickup = 15.11 Ohm
Volume Pot = 411 Ohm

I was surprised at the variance in the pots. especially since one was +120 Ohm and the other was -89Ohm. I am typically used to a +/- 10% variance. I am sure age has something to do with it.

Here is my question, could the perceived difference in warmth/articulation be due to the pot variance? I realize that guitars have slight differences, but before making a final decision, I would like to get the guitars as close as possible. In other words, same strings, same reading on pots, etc. Before going down a rabbit hole, I thought I would ask you guys before switching out the pots with ones that read exactly 500 Ohm.

Also,
Could you post your pickup and pot measurements? I'd like to get an idea of what the EVH's look like in that regard. If there is a thread with this info already in it, please point me to it. Thanks in advance.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Here is my question, could the perceived difference in warmth/articulation be due to the pot variance.

I think pot variance could be a part of it. Some basic circuit simulations (I use CircuitLab) suggest to me that it will be ~2 dB difference at the resonant frequency, which is about the limit of differences what I can hear under ideal conditions, i.e. difficult to hear. So it may not be the entire difference between the two guitars. Are the strings the same distance from the pickups on both guitars? Are the strings the same brand and have same amount of playing time? Is there an audible difference between the guitars unplugged? If you put matching 500kΩ pots in the guitars, change the strings and match the setups every way you can, will they sound identical? Maybe, but maybe not. And if they did sound identical, will each guitar lose some of their "magic"? Maybe, only your ears can tell.

I have good news - you already like them both. Which ever one you choose one, you'll be happy with it. :) But your relationship to each guitar is already set by what you already know of them, i.e. their current condition and tone. Don't mess with 'em, just choose one.

:)

Alrod

have good news - you already like them both. Which ever one you choose one, you'll be happy with it. :) But your relationship to each guitar is already set by what you already know of them, i.e. their current condition and tone. Don't mess with 'em, just choose one. :)

Thanks,
Easier said than done my friend :) Both are amazing in all aspects. They both feel good, sound good, are in excellent condition. The quilted tops are outstanding.

To answer your question, other than the pots, all of the other components and measurements are the same (new strings same brand/gauge, same string height), in fact, both guitars weigh 7.2lbs. As far as how they sound unplugged, the warmth/articulation are noticeable. So perhaps the character of each guitar is inherent.

I guess I just need to play them more and make a final decision. You are right, if I change the pots, they may sound closer to each other, but they may lose some of their characteristics that I like. THen again, I have extra pots laying around. I can take the time to experiment.

As far as the pickups go, what are the factory specs in terms of ohms?

xjbebop

The only correct answer is to find a way to keep both.
Otherwise, you will continue to live with the remorse of the one you let go.... again...
*not trying to be funny.... I'm serious.....

GWDavis28

The only correct answer is to find a way to keep both.
Otherwise, you will continue to live with the remorse of the one you let go.... again...
*not trying to be funny.... I'm serious.....

Yah I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like it'll be tough to swing from what you've posted, but if you can do it I'd give it a try.

Glenn |B)

Alrod

Hey, where are the pics of these fine instruments?

Not the best photo (phone camera). The Trans Gold has more light focused on it, but the Natural is just as 3D and gorgeous. I will try to get a better photo of it.

Nat_Gold_EVH.jpg

GWDavis28

Not the best photo (phone camera). The Trans Gold has more light focused on it, but the Natural is just as 3D and gorgeous. I will try to get a better photo of it.

attachment.php

Nice man, which do you seem to leaning toward. Really like the Natural, looks just great.

Glenn |B)

Alrod

Nice man, which do you seem to leaning toward. Really like the Natural, looks just great.

Glenn |B)

Thanks. I was definitely leaning towards one more than the other, but now it's back and forth.

So that there is no bias, I will keep which one I preferred initially to myself for now (based solely on the sound and playability). I would be interested in seeing which one you guys prefer based on looks alone.

It's tough capturing the natural. Here is an outside shot which still doesn't do it justice. I would say that the left side from the bridge up is what the entire guitar looks like in person.

Nat.jpg

Phrankenstrat

Personally, I always go with the more articulate guitar. I can always make that a bit warmer or whatever I want to do to it BECAUSE it is articulate. In my small brain, it's just tonally easier to work with. Both of those are beauties. Whichever one you go with, I'm sure there will be a certain amount of sonic bliss!

Alrod

This whole experience grows more and more bizarre with each passing day. I have been playing both guitars unplugged. The one guitar that I labeled as "Articulate", is becoming sterile sounding to my ears. The "warm" ones body resonates against my body more than the other one. If they were acoustic guitars, I'd say one is like a Martin (warm), and the other is like a Taylor (bright). When playing along to backing tracks, they both cut through with no problems.

My next test is to record them. Since I do mostly studio work anyway, I think it may be the deciding factor... I say that today anyway :)

GWDavis28

This thread is becoming more and more interesting. I don't ever remember anyone going to such depth to decide between 2 different guitars.

Thanx, Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

That natural one is the bomb. I’d go with that one all day long.

You talking about this one??

attachment.php

I liked this one too. :)

PS Nice strap, I have one just like that!!!

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

bischero

The gold is just gorgeous and nostalgic. I ordered a gold to get the same as the artist played, but fell in love with a Sunburst at the shop. The greatsest thing about guitars are tat they are kind of "alive". They all have personalities. The natural is probably rarer, but if you're a player go with the one you dig. And gimme a good deal on the other one ;)

Alrod

Which one is which? Which one is warm/resonant and which one is articulate?

The Trans Gold is the warm/resonant one, the Natural is the articulate one.

Since there aren't that many responses to this thread (though I do appreciate all who have responded so far!), I will go ahead and say that initially I fell in love with the Natural one. In terms of looks, to me it's more refined and sexier.

With the same settings on my Divided By 13 JRT 9/15, when pushed with a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret pedal, the Natural one has more of an Angus Young type tone where the Trans Gold one is more along the lines of EVH and George Lynch. That nice naturally compressed smooth sustain sound.

With cranked natural saturated tube distortion, I can coax some really nice 70's classic rock tones out of both guitars that give me the chills. The same goes for when I run them through my '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I think Eddie and EBMM did a fantastic job of creating a Les Paul/Strat/Tele (WRHB) hybrid.

I should mention that I stopped playing 80's metal years ago in lieu of more modern Indie/Alternative type music. Both of these guitars can handle the genre's quite nicely. I like to dabble in the blues as well. These guitars can handle the blues, but I still prefer to reach for my Strats for that. So basically both excel in rhythm work. The Trans Gold has the slight edge for soloing.

Both guitars resonate well, but the Trans Gold more so than the other one. Both are articulate but in that area the Natural edges out the Trans Gold. That is not to say the the Gold one sounds "sloppy" or that the notes run together. It is easier to get pinched harmonics and controllable feedback from the Trans Gold.

For now I am going to keep both. I need time to swap the electronic components and play around with different pot values to see how much these are contributing to the overall tone. Unplugged, the Trans Gold is the clear winner.

I've had some guitar plater friends come over and they are drawing the same conclusions. My wife who is not musical at all did note that the Trans Gold "sounds warmer".

Top Bottom