• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

I have this and have worked through the book a few times. Its not the end all be all, but it's damn fine and the play along stuff is fun.

Bass Aerobics | Hal Leonard Online

Practice.....STRUCTURED practice is years ahead of just doodling. The lessons are really quick and you can get back to doodling..but do this every day for 3 weeks and tell me if you feel a difference.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

So I’m a few weeks into the book. I’ve been spending the first 30-60mins of every practice session on this book and I have to say I’m seriously impressed with it.
I’ve been recommended and own lots of various practice book but nothing quite like this, it’s my new practice-best friend!
Cheers Brash for the recommendation :)

brash47

👍👍👍👍
I found that book to be a great practice companion. The play alongs are just good clean fun. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

KevinM

I'm due for a brush up myself. I'm going to try that Bass Aerobics book. I like that it has the online feature so I can use my laptop and work along with it.
I usually do this about every 5 years or so and always come out with new tricks and motivations.

danny-79

��������
I found that book to be a great practice companion. The play alongs are just good clean fun. Enjoy!
Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’m just working through the whole book slowly, chromatics being the first chapter are perfect for warming up with an fun too ! Brilliant book thanks again!

I'm due for a brush up myself. I'm going to try that Bass Aerobics book. I like that it has the online feature so I can use my laptop and work along with it.
I usually do this about every 5 years or so and always come out with new tricks and motivations.

Very true. If you know of a player better than you then you need something and I needed something lol !
I’d quite happily take lessons, I’m 100% self taught bad habits the lot but for now I highly recommend this book it’s the best £15 I’ve spent in a long while.

KevinM

I got the book last week and was able to spend about an hour on the first workout but being on rotation I had to spend more time on learning the new songs for the week.
This is a good book. It's more than just a brush up for me but I intend to go through it and take the time to learn all the chapters.
It's a bit of a challenge to stay on it so wish me luck, lol.

danny-79

I got the book last week and was able to spend about an hour on the first workout but being on rotation I had to spend more time on learning the new songs for the week.
This is a good book. It's more than just a brush up for me but I intend to go through it and take the time to learn all the chapters.
It's a bit of a challenge to stay on it so wish me luck, lol.

Glad you have got a copy. Ideally it’s one exercise a week but that’s not really practical for me either, I’m busy learning/transcribing a whole back catalogue for a new band so that is taking priority.
anyways. I’m just going through the book at my own pace as it says to do so and just using it to warm up with at the moment.
I’m still only on the first two exercises It’s all about playing every note clearly, speed it up when ready and move on to the next exercise when the last one is perfect, that’s my approach to it

On to a winner with this one !

Last edited:

KevinM

I took the time last Sunday to nail down Workout 1, lol
After moving on to Workout 2 I realized the most productive way for me to learn them fast is to break them down into sections with similar patterns.
Workout 2 has 8 measure sections so I spent just a few minutes on sections 1 and 2.
Truth be told, this book has me way out of my element. Being a church musician I'm used to working with chord charts that have just the key changes and I learn the rest by playing along and making up my own bass lines. I rarely work with sheet music and have never worked with tabs before so using the tabs is another step up for me. I can definitely see an advantage to tabs because I can use them to write down the bass lines I create and want to formalize in certain situations. I'm an old dog learning new tricks here but I've wanted to work into some new disciplines to expand my toolbox so I'm going to keep on working through this book and have some fun with it.

danny-79

I took the time last Sunday to nail down Workout 1, lol
After moving on to Workout 2 I realized the most productive way for me to learn them fast is to break them down into sections with similar patterns.
Workout 2 has 8 measure sections so I spent just a few minutes on sections 1 and 2.
Truth be told, this book has me way out of my element. Being a church musician I'm used to working with chord charts that have just the key changes and I learn the rest by playing along and making up my own bass lines. I rarely work with sheet music and have never worked with tabs before so using the tabs is another step up for me. I can definitely see an advantage to tabs because I can use them to write down the bass lines I create and want to formalize in certain situations. I'm an old dog learning new tricks here but I've wanted to work into some new disciplines to expand my toolbox so I'm going to keep on working through this book and have some fun with it.

I have to agree it’s not what I’m used to, and has stuff I will possibly never use in a musical setting, or will I with out realising it ?
Exercise two is the same pattern forwards, backwards and mirrored. Definitely a good warm up for anyone if nothing else. I will be sticking this book, best one I have come across in a long time

KevinM

I have to agree it’s not what I’m used to, and has stuff I will possibly never use in a musical setting, or will I with out realising it ?
Exercise two is the same pattern forwards, backwards and mirrored. Definitely a good warm up for anyone if nothing else. I will be sticking this book, best one I have come across in a long time
The biggest thing for me so far is that it’s a good exercise to strengthen my fretboard hand but also I have a habit of using only three fingers on a step down and moving one to the 4th step. These workouts are getting me to practice using all four fingers and stretching my hand to cover the four frets. After doing a workout a few times over I can feel it in my hand muscles.

brash47

👍👍👍👍 all good stuff. We are all students our whole lives. Like the great Neil Peart did when he took lessons from the great Freddie Gruver after 30 years as a premier drummer....we can always learn.

The pic is added is what Gaddy Lee wrote to me when I met him at one of his meet and greets for his book. This pretty much sums it up for us all....

ad7dc95c6085e1779444c86564a20500.jpg

Last edited:

danny-79

The biggest thing for me so far is that it’s a good exercise to strengthen my fretboard hand but also I have a habit of using only three fingers on a step down and moving one to the 4th step. These workouts are getting me to practice using all four fingers and stretching my hand to cover the four frets. After doing a workout a few times over I can feel it in my hand muscles.

The exercises are certainly encouraging some good habits with out realising it that will surely find their way into your playing with out you realising it

danny-79

�������� all good stuff. We are all students our whole lives. Like the great Neil Peart did when he took lessons from the great Freddie Gruver after 30 years as a premier drummer....we can always learn.

The pic is added is what Gaddy Lee wrote to me when I met him at one of his meet and greets for his book. This pretty much sums it up for us all....

ad7dc95c6085e1779444c86564a20500.jpg

Life Long Student of Bass.

That just about sums it up. I like it ! :cool:

(That’s another book I really should get a copy of)

drTStingray

My inspirations are my basses - been playing blueburst 93 today - but they all inspire me, and none more than my two SR Specials

Attachments

• aqua s.jpg
    aqua s.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 177
  • bluebirst.jpg
    bluebirst.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 184

brash47

Life Long Student of Bass.

That just about sums it up. I like it ! :cool:

(That’s another book I really should get a copy of)
It was humbling to meet such a down to earth guy who, only late in his career as a bass player, really took the deep dive in to learning the history of his instrument.

Granted he's a Fender Jazz guy, but thats not the point of it. He's a pioneer of bass. The collection in his book is interesting as he was only looking for well used basses with a real story to tell. He passed on the "stuffed under the bed for 30 years" mint condition basses. I didn't realize until I read the book that during their final tour, he was playing all these vintage Jazz basses with all original hardware. So each with its own story and sound.

Geddy Lee is a very interesting dude. And going with this thread, he consistently learned new ways to sing with his instrument. From the early days of just hard 1 finger style playing, to later in his career using an almost "flamenco" style of picking his strings to get speed out of his index finger. I'm droning on. It just shows that we all are always learning something new.

I have a huge toolbox from years of playing bass and piano. Whenever I need a particular tool....I've got it in the box...jazz, rock, fusion, progressive, country....all those bass and keyboard styles are in that tool box. So keep adding to that toolbox, you never know when the moment to use that tool will come up, and you'll be darn glad you put it in there...

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

KevinM

I’m in my third week on rotation so I’ve been working on my weekly set lists.
Thinking about the book here and there though.

brash47

I'm enjoying my book. I started all over again and I'm working it in with a 26 week program I have from another site.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom