• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JHM

Been eyeballing the various models and trying to figure out which has the most bite and sharpness for high gain rhythm tones? The JP15 is out of the running.

I’m mostly interested in the JPXI and JP12 - but which of these is more aggressive? I lean away from smooth and round tones - I want the bite. Open to other JP models as well.

My main guitar is a historic R0 Les Paul with Custombuckers - very bright and clear but simultaneously thick and full. Nothing annoys me more than a guitar that’s overly smooth and round. I play all sorts of amps from Marshall’s, to boogies, to Bogners etc.

Thanks for any insight!

Vadauco

I lean away from smooth and round tones - I want the bite.

If you want the bite, I suggest the very first JP run (2000-2004), which has exclusive DiMarzio pickups based on Air Norton (neck) and Evolution (bridge). I had a mystic dream 2004 in the past, and I really regret having sold it. Those are almost impossible to find now.

JHM

If you want the bite, I suggest the very first JP run (2000-2004), which has exclusive DiMarzio pickups based on Air Norton (neck) and Evolution (bridge). I had a mystic dream 2004 in the past, and I really regret having sold it. Those are almost impossible to find now.

Didn’t really know about these. Will keep my eyes peeled. Is it the pickups bringing the sting or is the construction different as well?

DrewH

Been eyeballing the various models and trying to figure out which has the most bite and sharpness for high gain rhythm tones? The JP15 is out of the running.

I’m mostly interested in the JPXI and JP12 - but which of these is more aggressive? I lean away from smooth and round tones - I want the bite. Open to other JP models as well.

My main guitar is a historic R0 Les Paul with Custombuckers - very bright and clear but simultaneously thick and full. Nothing annoys me more than a guitar that’s overly smooth and round. I play all sorts of amps from Marshall’s, to boogies, to Bogners etc.

Thanks for any insight!
JPs tone is all about smooth and round. The first run JPs bridge pickup was modeled after the Steves Special, not the Evolution. The JP guitar with the most bite is the JP15 and you ruled that one out.

I think the Richardson models might give you more of what you are looking for.

Reactions: JHM

JHM

JPs tone is all about smooth and round. The first run JPs bridge pickup was modeled after the Steves Special, not the Evolution. The JP guitar with the most bite is the JP15 and you ruled that one out.

I think the Richardson models might give you more of what you are looking for.

Appreciate the feedback. I randomly picked up a JP100D locally last weekend for no reason other than it was a great deal - and I really like this guitar, which is why I’m looking at the EB models now. It has just enough bite IMO to keep my ears interested. I don’t want something that would be any warmer/rounder than it.

JHM

I should also add, if it’s a matter of changing the pickups to get more of that high end thing I’m looking for- that’s fine.

Vadauco

Is it the pickups bringing the sting or is the construction different as well?
The first models just had a baswood body, no maple tops. How this affects the attack is a rather controversial topic.

The first run JPs bridge pickup was modeled after the Steves Special, not the Evolution.
Did you see the reference I posted?
The dude got the answer from DiMarzio: the bridge pickup was based on the Evolution. Like you, I also thought it was based on the Steve's Special because the Ibanez JPM had one.

Reactions: JHM
Top Bottom