• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CieM

I heard that jp6 built in 2000-2006 has original pickups. Custom wound Steve's special/Air norton. I wanna get them but never can find on market. Does anybody know where can I get these?

PeteDuBaldo

I heard that jp6 built in 2000-2006 has original pickups. Custom wound Steve's special/Air norton. I wanna get them but never can find on market. Does anybody know where can I get these?

They were only available in the JP guitars in that same time period, you'd need to either find an original early model guitar for sale (not super difficult), or find pickups that someone has removed from their early JP and is selling (more difficult).

CieM

They were only available in the JP guitars in that same time period, you'd need to either find an original early model guitar for sale (not super difficult), or find pickups that someone has removed from their early JP and is selling (more difficult).
Thx for the reply! Buying jp6 is way over my budget so I think I should go for pickup set. By the way, have ever you seen them on sale? So difficult to find

SlappyTappy

FWIW - this may not apply to the 6-string version of the pickups, but when I asked Dimarzio what was closest off the shelf for the 7 string version, they told me
B - Evolution 7
N - Blaze
Just because he was using the SS/AN combo previously doesn't mean that's the closest version to those early OEM EBMM pickups. Not sure for the 6-string versions though.

CieM

FWIW - this may not apply to the 6-string version of the pickups, but when I asked Dimarzio what was closest off the shelf for the 7 string version, they told me
B - Evolution 7
N - Blaze
Just because he was using the SS/AN combo previously doesn't mean that's the closest version to those early OEM EBMM pickups. Not sure for the 6-string versions though.
I've mailed Dimarzio too. Yesterday. And got the answer today. They said (at least for 6 string ver) bridge pup is similer to Evolution and neck pup is similer to air norton - installed backwards. Well, it seems like evo is definately the one and the neck pup depends on the number of strings. Thx for your reply :)

SlappyTappy

I've mailed Dimarzio too. Yesterday. And got the answer today. They said (at least for 6 string ver) bridge pup is similer to Evolution and neck pup is similer to air norton - installed backwards. Well, it seems like evo is definately the one and the neck pup depends on the number of strings. Thx for your reply :)

Good to know! Thanks for sharing (y)

Interesting about the Air Norton - the direction the wire comes out of the pickup, which typically indicates the direction it's intended to be installed by default, is "upside down" for most humbucking neck pickups - IE, screw coil toward bridge, slug coil toward neck. As they were installed in Ibanez JPM models. So I wonder if they mean "backwards" as in how it's usually intended to be installed, or vice versa.

uch1fdwen97zezwfx3au.jpg

CieM

Good to know! Thanks for sharing (y)

Interesting about the Air Norton - the direction the wire comes out of the pickup, which typically indicates the direction it's intended to be installed by default, is "upside down" for most humbucking neck pickups - IE, screw coil toward bridge, slug coil toward neck. As they were installed in Ibanez JPM models. So I wonder if they mean "backwards" as in how it's usually intended to be installed, or vice versa.

View attachment 42015
They said, "adjustable polepieces towards the bridge" so it's like Ibanez JPM.

SlappyTappy

Speaking of which, I'm sure it's a long shot, but I actually have an OEM EBMM JP7 bridge pickup but no neck pickup to match. If anybody should happen to have the neck pickup and want to sell, I'd love to have it ;)

Top Bottom