• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Chris C

Just thought some comments/opinions (by me and anyone else who owns one of these basses) might help those contemplating getting one with their decision.

Not all that long ago, I bought a Classic Stingray. Great bass. Sounded killer. Very classy. Beautiful. Everything about it was stellar... except my hands, unfortunately. I could certainly play it without any trouble, but I'm "blessed" with tiny hands and short fingers. I simply prefer the narrower and slimmer neck and I'm tired of “making do with a “normal person's bass.” :) So, I sucked it up, sold the Classic Stingray, and used the proceeds to special order my dream Stingray, which is a couple of months out (natural finish, maple neck, 2-band EQ, SLO neck... Perfection!!!).

In the mean time, I bought a "cheapie" Sterling SUB Series Stingray. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting much. It's a cheap bass. Cheap basses suck... or at least they did when I was learning to play. Back then a cheap bass was pretty much automatically a dog -- unplayable, sounded like garbage, felt like garbage, and fell apart soon after you bought it. I know, cause I had a few back in the day (when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth).

Boy... was I pleasantly surprised by this SUB Stingray. I would have given my eye teeth back when I was learning to play bass to have something as nice as this. Yes, obviously the hardware is not as high-end as the real Stingrays. But I must say that I LOVE this bass. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it. I've used it for everything I'm doing -- band gigs, recording, and whatever else.

It sounds like a Stingray, but with some differences (and not even bad differences, just variations on a theme). To my ears, the bass control is very similar to the 2-band Stingray, but perhaps a bit "hotter," boosting and cutting more. It is quite sensitive. You can really get some huge boom out of it.

On the other hand, the treble control is, to my ears, quite different. In fact, I would call it a "high-mid" control more than a straight-up treble boost/cut. In boost mode, it's a bit harsh to my ears, although I boost just a very small amount for slap. Other than that, I use it as a cut. And as a cut, it ABSOLUTELY shines, IMO. It almost acts as a passive tone control sound. I can crank the zing out easily and get an old-school Motown thump if I slightly boost the bass. So this “treble” control won't give you shimmering highs like a regular Stingray treble knob, but it does do something just as useful, I would argue, in a greater number of musical settings.

In general, the preamp is very HOT! The signal is way hotter than I'm used to. I have to really pad the input on my amp to keep from overdriving the input stage and clipping/distorting. This SUB has a WAY hotter signal than my other active basses, including the Stingray I sold.

As for the volume control. Well, what can I say? It's weird. For about 7/8ths of its travel it only marginally turns the volume down. Then at the very end of the travel, it's almost like an on-off switch! Now, I'm sure this is just due to the price point. You can't use top-of-the-line electronic components when selling the basses for so cheap. At first I just concluded that I would replace it with a better pot. But, as I used it more... I actually found that a "by-product" of it's weird character was actually useful. Through the first part of its travel, it actually acts like a subtle tone knob. It doesn't cut much volume and at the same time it rolls the high end off at the upper frequencies and sort of smooths things out a bit. I actually find that a useful addition for lots of things. So... the "cheapness" of the pot actually turned out to be quite useful. (my apologies if it was intentionally designed that way... but, I'm doubting it. :D )

As for the feel of the neck... love at first touch. My small hands really dig it. Narrow, thin, and sleek. The finish is the slightest bit sticky at times, but nothing fine steel wool won't cure. It's a flat/satin finish, so no gloss finish is harmed by this process. ;) I love the neck on it. Very fast and comfy.

As I said, the hardware is not the most heavy-duty (nor should it be at this price point). But it's all perfectly serviceable and works the way it's supposed to. It's not junk like low-end hardware was 30 years ago. The pickup is fine. Honestly, I'd intended to change the preamp and pickup before I actually got it. But after playing it for awhile, no way am I going to touch it. It sounds great. Running through my amp, it has its own voice, but it sounds as good as anything else I have.

Until I get my new SLO Stingray, this will be my main bass. And I have no reservations about using it as such. Hell, I may become so attached to it that it will stay my main bass. :eek:

So, if you are a beginner, or a seasoned player who wants a "beater bass" (personally I think it's better than that!), don't hesitate in getting one of these. As I said earlier, I only wish they would have had "beginner basses" like this back when I was learning. I actually had a bass (my first) where the entire body cracked open (huge crack) over the course of a couple of days while trying to play it. That was excuse enough to throw it in the garbage because the action was so high and neck so warped, I could hardly fret a string. None of that here. The SUB is a class act "beginner's bass" that can certainly do gigs as well. And it's SO inexpensive. Amazing.

Any other Sterling SUB Series Stingray owners like yours as much as I like mine?

Last edited:

bovinehost

Administrator
I haven't had one of the new SUB series basses, but my mint green Ray34ca (known locally as "Adventure Bass") is a shining example of what you've discovered - that entry-level basses are way better than they used to be back when pterodactyls darkened the skies. Especially when those basses are licensed by and modeled after Music Man instruments!

You're going to love the SLO neck.

RitchieDarling

I currently own three Ray4 basses. And I have to say that I can't find anything to complain about! In fact, my white finished Ray4 may very well be the best bass I have ever owned!

KevinM

I ordered a RAY5 from GC on Friday and will get it in about a week.
I'll get back to this thread after working it a little if it's still relevant by that time.
I played on a 4-string a little while I was there and they seem pretty good for the price.
I have seen a need for a loaner bass for friends but couldn't justify loaning out one of my high-end basses so I decided to buy one of these.
I've heard some pretty good reviews for the SUB so I expect to be happy with the choice.

Last edited:

RitchieDarling

I'm loving mine! Just ordered a S.U.B. SB4 to add to my little collection.

Brings my total to 4! This one is still my favorite!

prime_zps8a310a72.jpg

Chris C

I thought that SUB is former USA made budget MM. What is SBMM SUB?

There is the old US made SUB series (nice basses!), but these are the "budget version" of the recent Sterling series imports. So you have the Ray34, Ray35, and now the SUB series stingrays. The Ray34s are around $750-ish and the SUB series are around $300-ish.

KevinM

I got my Ray5 today. It plays better than I expected. The one I originally sampled was slightly rough on the neck so if I would have bought that one I was going to smooth out the neck a little. When I went to buy the black one it was gone so I ordered a Walnut Satin instead. I like this color better and the neck on this one is smooth and the sound is pretty good for the price. It will definitely do the job it is intended for. I bought this bass to use as a house bass at church so I could let some of the start-up bassists play on it without having to worry about messing up a high-end bass. I can leave it there on loan for anyone to use under minimal supervision. It sounds good as is but I'll probably try some cobalts on it after I get things going.
New SUB day thread coming.

Massbass58

I have A Walnut Satin Sub Ray 4 and found that by lowering the pickup as far as it would go I can run the pre-amp wide open with just a nice growl if I really dig in. Otherwise seems to have tamed that hot Pre-amp issue .

KevinM

As for the volume control. Well, what can I say? It's weird. For about 7/8ths of its travel it only marginally turns the volume down. Then at the very end of the travel, it's almost like an on-off switch! Now, I'm sure this is just due to the price point. You can't use top-of-the-line electronic components when selling the basses for so cheap. At first I just concluded that I would replace it with a better pot. But, as I used it more... I actually found that a "by-product" of it's weird character was actually useful.

SBMM outlines a fix for the volume pot on TB
Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray4 and Ray5 - Page 9 - TalkBass Forums

Go to post #339 to see the start of the description with pictures on subsequent posts.

You can also buy a replacement pre-amp with an active/passive switching volume knob if you want to spend the money.
Here's one link to the pre.
Planet Bass Online Store: Bartolini HR 2.3AP/918
You might search a little to see if you can find a better price.
they also make it without the active/passive that might be a little cheaper.

BTW, thanks to SBMM for the VR mod instructions.

stingray_guy

Havent been on the forum in the while, Im just saying.... The SBMM SUBs are grrrreeeeaaaaatttt! Ive got the walnut ray4, and its utterly fantastic. Im very tempted by the new mint green finish, and swap necks and defret the rosewood neck, so id have a fretless mint green ray. And Im not afraid to call it a ray, even though its a quarter of the price its more than 90% of the originals. Outstanding!

burningwycke

I own the Walnut Stain version and it is probably the best bass I've owned (and in 38 years of playing, I've owned plenty. The neck is fast, the balance is perfect, the hardware is solid, the active electronics give high output and a lot of tonal versatility to a one pickup instrument. The truss rod needed NO adjustment. The strings were too light (.045-.100) for me, so I put on a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (.050-.105), adjusted the bridge saddles accordingly for height and intonation and it's perfect now. The sound is tight, punchy, and well balanced. Fit and finish are very good, especially for this price point. The Musicman lineage is clearly carried on here.

Soulkeeper

Today my defences crumbled, and I ordered my first SBMM: A walnut stain Sub 5.

My excuse is that I need a bass that I can leave in a studio that is used by other people as well. I'm too lazy to carry basses back and forth, and too paranoid to leave my SR5s there overnight. (After my first SR5 got stolen from a rehearsal space nine years ago, I'm not leaving any instruments in that price range out of my sight for very long.)

It's good to have an excuse ready when I confront myself with my sometimes wanton splurging. ;)

Shadrack

Went to my local music shop hoping to try out an Epi Thunderbird. There was a SUB in Black + Maple on the wall, thought I might as well give it a go. Neck is a bit thicker than I'm used to but playing around with the preamp was a lot of fun. It came home with me.
Put my regular strings on, I use thin strings so it needed a little set up, got used to the neck and now it's my favourite bass. And just sounds awesome. And really light too.
Never thought of owning any kind of Music Man but I'm so glad this was there. Just lovely.

NuttnButDaBlues

Great review Chris C!
I just bought the SUB Ray4 in black & maple. I am blown away with the tone, the quality, and the playability of this bass. Outstanding for a bass in this price range. I've played Fender basses for 50 years, and decided to try this bass as a cheaper way to get into the Ernie Ball Music Man sound. Amazing! I knew I liked it immediately, but had no idea I would like it this much. After getting used to the controls, I couldn't get over the tonal variations with just a slight turn of the knob. The neck is fast and comfortable. I am very impressed with this instrument. I don't know of another bass in the price range that has more to offer. Well done!

Top Bottom