• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

woodshed

Just wanted to throw this out here cause I'd really appreciate input from someone who has perhaps walked this path. My 2015 LUKE III volume pot went out & a replacement was ordered. I procured this gtr from G.C. in December 2015, used. It's first owner kept it for about 3 months; it was in what appeared to be immaculate, showroom new condiiton when I got it. Yet, this volume pot has gone out with 6-7 months light useage. Light useage meaning I don't engage the volume boost every time I play it. Not a confidence builder. I didn't "wear it out". This is my main axe & I've got some big Christmas things coming up. I don't want to get another push/push pot & have it wear out just when I really need it most so I'm investigating removing the preamp circuit & going passive with the DIMARZIO TRANSITIONs.

A: Has anyone removed the preamp circuit on their 2015 LUKE III? Would love to hear your story.

B: Has anyone replaced the push/push with a more robust CTS or Alpha pull/push? If so, was additional routing required?

LAST RESORT SCENARIO:
C: I'm considering/wishing I could remove the tone control & replace it with a tiny on/off toggle switch for the preamp boost. Or, keeping the tone control & adding the tiny toggle switch mounted close to the volume & tone pot. A gamble with drilling a hole, I know, but....

Thanks my fellow EBMM freaks.

j.t.

threeminutesboy

I'll naturally chose option c. A mini toggle between volume and tone is in my opinion the easiest fix. Will damage your resell value but less than removing preamp.

beej

Hey- while MM does a great job sourcing supplies, unfortunately pots do fail. The good news is that they're easy to replace ... consider keeping an extra pot handy for when you need it. Hey- regular pots fail, too. Just one of those things.

If it were me, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. That is to say, if you like the electronics, simply don't use the boost, or replace the push/push pot with either a push/pull (harder to work, but less likely to fail), or a standard pot (disabling the boost functionality). I'd think you'd want to avoid drilling holes, if possible.

steevo

Is the pre amp available to buy?
Id be tempted to go with a push pull but as already stated, pots do fail from time to time, id give it a chance

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kimonostereo

EBMM sources quality parts but there is always a chance that something will fail. Regular non push-pull pots fail all the time. I've replaced two pots this year. The best part about replacing these is you get to choose what type of pot to replace it with and what kind of taper.

That aside, pots aren't the only thing that could fail on guitars. I've had output jacks, pickup selector switches and tuning pegs fail. Simply no way to account for everything that could possibly fail.

woodshed

One of the salesmen at the store where I teach purchased a new flame top LUKE III. Every Thursday & Saturday he'd come in & spend time with mine. After a couple of months he pulled the trigger & has been giddy ever since. Hasn't played his PEAVEY WOLFGANG since his LUKE came in.
Anyway.....
The other day when I was telling him the update to my volume control issue, he pointed out to me that his Reunion Blues Continental bag activates his volume control every time he opens the case. I never noticed that on mine but it does. Bummer, since I've got 2 new Reunion Blues Continentals. I do have the original EBMM hardcase, but I use my RB bag all the time. HEAD'S UP if you've got a 2015-2016 LUKE III & you're looking at a Reunion Blues Continental bag for it. Be forewarned it will activate your volume boost every time you close it. This may very well aid in the premature aging of the push activated volume pot.
I've decided to either remove the preamp or install a 500K pot & wire it without the preamp connected. Whatever I decide to do, the preamp boost will not be functional. Just my personal preference. Love the guitar, pickups, action, neck, frets, body shape, tuners, nut, playability, trem...just...not the boost.

Last edited:

woodshed

I ordered an Alpha push/pull pot, which is activated pull up = preamp boost on & push down = return to normal functioning volume boost off. Hopefully this pot will last longer than a year. That stock push/push style is not for me. I received the replacement push/push from EBMM, so I've got it on hand should I ever need it. Being without my Luke is driving me nuts.

msquared

It depends on what year your LIII is. In 2015 they reengineered the preamp board and the cavity layout, including a different jack hole setup.

If yours was built after that you can just order a new one and replacing it will be easy for your tech. If it's earlier (like mine) then your options for repair are not as simple as that.

I opted to completely remove my preamp board and it sounds fine without it. I have boost pedals for that anyway. :D

jasonk931

Mine is a 2019 Sterling Luke Blueberry Burst. I emailed the custom shop about it. Is that the correct connection to order? I want the upgraded Musicman Luke iii version. I love the onboard boost.

tbonesullivan

Mine is a 2019 Sterling Luke Blueberry Burst. I emailed the custom shop about it. Is that the correct connection to order? I want the upgraded Musicman Luke iii version. I love the onboard boost.

If you have a Sterling by Musicman LK100, you do not have a Luke. They will not exchange your Sterling by Musicman LK100 wiring for the Luke III wiring.

Craiguitar

The only downer for me about the LIII is its pots. On mine at least, they are extremely low friction, to the point where they feel downright loose, so it's not easy to 'set' them in a specific position and it's really easy to knock them from where they've been set. They feel cheap and nasty (even though I'm sure they're not), especially the volume push/push, it's just so loose it's unreal.
Also, my tone pot is really noisy, it crackles a lot, despite having put cleaner in it, and trying to work the crackles out of it.

beej

The only downer for me about the LIII is its pots. On mine at least, they are extremely low friction
I hear you on this one - it's my only minor complaint about the LIII. I've tried putting felt / rubber washers under the knob, but it's not exactly right.

I'm just trying to be more conscious about not hitting the pot with my picking hand.

But man, what a killer guitar.

tbonesullivan

I may have to replace the boost pot on my Luke III, as it's scratchy when I engage/disengage the boost. I haven't found the pots to be too low friction, but I also have a 2012, so they may need some lubrication by now.

Lukather may just want very easy to move pots for volume swells.

Craiguitar

I had tried the felt washers as well, and you're right, they don't work.
I'd like to know if anyone has found a viable alternative to these pots. I'd swap them in a heartbeat for some that have better friction.

Top Bottom