• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
I get why this bass was released as the 40th Anniversary. It is different in very subtle ways from any Stingray that most of us have ever played. The pickup is an obvious departure in its design and although it does change the tone ever so slightly, there is more than enough of what we know in our ears to be Stingrays left in it to make that undeniable. I find myself adding a bit more highs to this bass than I normally would on a Stingray and it comes in in a very mild way.... not harsh tonal changes. Sterling is right.... it just seems very old school. The bass is brand new but it feels like it has been played for 40 years.... If you like scotch, you understand that a 12 and 15 year old single malt scotch is nice and smooth.... ah but an 18 year old is just nicer.... in ways that are sometimes hard to put into words. That is what it is like trying to describe the tone of the Old Smoothie. Its just a little sweeter and smoother.

OK, enough of the esoteric jank.... where the rubber meets the road.... That friggin neck! OMG it is such a sweet feeling player to me. It is one of those basses you just cant put down. It plays so effortlessly. It is one of those instruments that does not inhibit your playing in anyway. It is a slim and fast playing neck that feels great in my hand. And the lovely alder body is nice and light and resonant. The fit and finish are so sweet and my goodness what a looker.

This along with my new Caprice are the first new basses I have purchased in a while that I will not be putting flat wounds on. It sounds great just the way it came from the factory. Cannot wait to gig this lovely.

Karl

I have been interseted in buying one of these for sometime, but I would want it in the original Chocolate Burst. But I now understand that they have now been discontinued. Is this correct?

bovinehost

Administrator
I really love it in the mint green finish (which Scott/BarmyAss has) because, well it's green, isn't it? When I purchased mine, I was unaware that it would be available in other finishes, so mine's the original burst. Maybe it was better that I didn't know about the finish options.

As I told Scott the other day, I had a chance to play and fondle the original Old Smoothie as much as I wanted, and I wanted to do it a lot. It's a special bass and the repros are special, too. In the end, I'm glad mine resembles as closely as possible the original, albeit without the Canadian motif on the headstock (I'm looking).

If memory serves, and it often does not, anniversary models are offered until the point at which production/delivery would put it into the next (non-anniversary) year. This makes sense. I would think, however, that dealers will have some stock after that point, so check around before throwing up your hands and having seizures and wailing and gnashing your teeth.

Unless you like that sort of thing.

The new/Old Smoothies are truly special beasts.

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
If memory serves, and it often does not, anniversary models are offered until the point at which production/delivery would put it into the next (non-anniversary) year.

I stand corrected, which I prefer to sitting corrected.... I spoke too soon. Actually the only ones I see available are the Butterscotch and Mint Green. So I recon it is not really a 40th Anniversary but rather a Mint Green Old Smoovie I gots. Learn something every day. :D

Karl

Just to clear things up The Old Smoothie is still available in Chocolate Burst according to the EB website. I better get in there quick while it is still available
It seems like no one knows when it will be discontinued.

liverbird

Good job I doubled up then!

vDRy8iz.jpg

0SatZ9Q.jpg

LLhD4BD.jpg

NaWWrId.jpg

drTStingray

Only one more - and you'll reach 30 Ernie Balls. :)

I'm sure he may be past that number as we speak or very soon!!

Did y'all notice Liverbird has two SRs in peach 😧 😎👍

I only have one Old Smoothie but am equally impressed with it - sits really well in a mix and the neck is fabulous.

liverbird

I'm sure he may be past that number as we speak or very soon!!

Did y'all notice Liverbird has two SRs in peach 😧 😎👍

I only have one Old Smoothie but am equally impressed with it - sits really well in a mix and the neck is fabulous.

drT, I don't think many on here share our love for Peach! My favourite EBMM finish - I wonder whether they ever made a Sabre in that colour...

Top Bottom