• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Blooze84

Hi All,

I am trying to ascertain what this Music Man is actually comprised of to determine it's value. The Music Man Site just spits this out to me when I input the serial number. I was hoping for a spec sheet, but I can't find any similar basses online and its driving me crazy! Help?

Serial #X12208
ManufacturedOctober 28th, 2004
Build CodeX07-T5-UF-P2-00-CR
ModelS.U.B._STERL HARDWARE KIT
ColorTextured Blue
NeckPainted Maple Neck with Pau Ferro Unlined Fretless Fretboard

image_6487327 (1).JPG

image_6487327.JPG

tbonesullivan

It's a Sterling SUB Bass, which were a more value oriented line. It has a textured blue body and black neck, which is textured on the headstock.

However, I don't know what's going on with the lack of a control plate. These should be top routed with a chrome control plate. At least, all the ones I am finding are.

gluvhand

It's a Sterling SUB Bass, which were a more value oriented line. It has a textured blue body and black neck, which is textured on the headstock.

However, I don't know what's going on with the lack of a control plate. These should be top routed with a chrome control plate. At least, all the ones I am finding are.
US made SUB Sterlings don't have control plates.
1689031316247.png

Rod Trussbroken

SUB basses (Sports Utility Bass) were made in San Luis Obispo California. The Sterling SUB was from 2004 to 2006. Poplar bodies and Maple necks. Fretted had Rosewood fretboards. Fretless were Pau Ferro. Rear mounted early 3EQ Sting Ray 5 preamps (no front control plate). Alnico pickup wired in parallel. A choice of aluminum Diamond Plate or Matte Black pickguards. The fretless SUB Sterlings must be rare. I've only seen 1 or 2.

They also had the SUB 4 and SUB 5 (Sting Rays) made from 2003 to 2006 with 2EQ preamps and Alnico pickups, Preamps were front loaded with crescent moon control plates.

Blooze84

SUB basses (Sports Utility Bass) were made in San Luis Obispo California. The Sterling SUB was from 2004 to 2006. Poplar bodies and Maple necks. Fretted had Rosewood fretboards. Fretless were Pau Ferro. Rear mounted early 3EQ Sting Ray 5 preamps (no front control plate). Alnico pickup wired in parallel. A choice of aluminum Diamond Plate or Matte Black pickguards. The fretless SUB Sterlings must be rare. I've only seen 1 or 2.

They also had the SUB 4 and SUB 5 (Sting Rays) made from 2003 to 2006 with 2EQ preamps and Alnico pickups, Preamps were front loaded with crescent moon control plates.
Thanks so much, now I know why I can't find any to compare it to!

five7

I owned two SUB fretless 5 strings which were very nice. Owned a couple of SUB sterlings, nice also. The sterlings had thinner necks. Does your feel thin like a F jazz bass.

mynan

I was hoping to find some info that I could pop into a google search to find the cash value in order to negotiate purchase price. But this thread has been super helpful - doesn't really look like that's possible with it being so rare.
Try adding USA to your search. That should help filter out some of the SBMM stuff.

From what I found, the original MSRP was around $1k, but they sold for around $700.

A few years ago, you could pick up a used one for around $400-$500, but the listings I'm seeing now are around $800-$900. Not sure if they're selling at that price.

Blooze84

Try adding USA to your search. That should help filter out some of the SBMM stuff.

From what I found, the original MSRP was around $1k, but they sold for around $700.

A few years ago, you could pick up a used one for around $400-$500, but the listings I'm seeing now are around $800-$900. Not sure if they're selling at that price.
It's a deal between friends so I wanted to make sure we were both sure of what was being sold lol.... We agreed on $700 to include shipping and a new hardshell case to ship in. Seems like a fair deal all around.

Top Bottom