• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

puppiesonacid

ok so i recently acquired an sbmm ax30D. i really like the dynamics of the bridge but i keep thinking to myself "this would be the perfect pickup if it had a ceramic magnet for better low end clarity"

i like the sweetness of the top end, really expressive for leads. the midrange grind is good but the low end chunk and crunch are just a little too mushy for my playing.

im thinking the EVO 2 bridge would be what im wanting to hear. anyone play one? i have an evolution neck and beidge set in my sbmm jp50 stealth. perfect for all out scream, balls and chunk but im really digging the dynamics of the axis bridge pup. seems like the evo 2 fits the bill.

and honestly i dont like the neck pup for gain. not clear enough.

however, the axis pups are great for rock and roll. they can do metal but not with the clarity of the evolution (which is what im used to)

maybe a 1meg pot with the axis pups might boost the prescence up enough to achieve what im looking for?

let me know your thoughts guys. thanks in advance.

puppiesonacid

guess im on an island with this one....i'll consider posting results when i get an evo2

headcrash

Generally, the Axis custom humbuckers are considered to be THE best pickups for that guitar.
And generally they are among the absolute best, when comparing high impedance Alnico V humbuckers.
I share this opinion.
However, recently, I had the opportunity to play a Jackson Dominion Mark Norton guitar, which has the Dimarzio Dominion humbuckers. I don't care for the guitar, but I really liked the pickups.
Both guitars (Jackson vs.Axis) sounded rather similar to me, output was about the same, mid grind and overall tone were in the same ballpark.
But the Dominions seemed clearer to me, and playing feel seemed tighter. Plus, they did very well when rolling back guitar volume. Have look at the descriotion on the Dimarzio website, it really describes, what I experienced.
Maybe you should give these a try?

puppiesonacid

i have considered those also. trust me ive been scouring dimarzios website. i'll see if i can find a mark morton model to demo the pups. thanks for engaging in the conversation!

what styles do you play and what amp did you use when testing those pups?

how did they respond to you putting it through the paces?

headcrash

i have considered those also. trust me ive been scouring dimarzios website. i'll see if i can find a mark morton model to demo the pups. thanks for engaging in the conversation!

what styles do you play and what amp did you use when testing those pups?

how did they respond to you putting it through the paces?

I mostly play Alternative Metal/Nurock to modern Progressive Rock styles, but I do like to lay some oldschool 80s hard rock riffs.
I was testing the pickups just for some minutes through my DIY Jubilee and Friedman clones.

puppiesonacid

yeah basically in a nutshell im looking for the same tonality of the axis bridge pup with a little more tightness and definition in the low end for thrashy chunk and definition.

still not sure about the neck pup. a little too warm for metal

but both pups sound great as is for clean and mild gain (zz top, G&R, AIC )

i could just reserve it for those styles...they do have a toneful soul to them. all in all im just glad i have them and no longer wonder what the fuss is all about haha. bottom line they are good pups for a lot of styles, just not ideal for thrash metal, pantera-ish/lamb of god-ish stuff i write.

the evo 2 and the dominion set are definetly on my radar though. Mark Morton doesnt just play Lamb Of God, he has a cover band and plays Cream and all sorts of great rock styles so maybe that may be what would suit the range of styles i play.

Dimarzio once suggested i go for the airzone in the bridge and either and air classic or air norton in neck. i played a 5150 at the time...

Top Bottom