• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BobKos

I have owned several 4H Stingrays. All but one were 3EQ. ALL 3EQ had clicking (I call 'clank'). The 2EQ did not. I also owned a couple 4HH 3EQ Stingrays. They did not clank. I have always attributed the clank to my playing attack. I do not clank on any other bass but the 4H 3EQ, but I can't play the 4H 3EQ without clank. I've resigned myself to that fact and I no longer own 4H 3EQ basses. It's both the bass and the player. You can work it out with technique, or you can work it out with a different instrument selection. There are tons of great basses out there, so I can't imagine fighting to get one model bass to sound good.

MattOfSweden

As been said, technique is one factor.
Other solution - turn down the treble ever so slightly. Simples. ;)
Or go with flats.

dmarotta

I had a similar problem on the e string of one of my basses. After much frustration , we found that the clicking was coming from my finger contacting the next string(B string) which had loose windings. Change the string and problem solved.

bovinehost

Administrator
I had a similar problem on the e string of one of my basses. After much frustration , we found that the clicking was coming from my finger contacting the next string(B string) which had loose windings. Change the string and problem solved.

Another consideration: same thing as Dave - playing the E string, I'd get this clicky thuddy noise. Drove me up the wall. I raised the saddle, prayed to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, invoked all twelve thousand Incan gods, etc etc, but nothing seemed to work. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY E STRING?

I was ignoring everything but the E string. My friend Chuck came over, said "Let me see what's going on" and watched me play for about, oh, three seconds. It was really my B string - the saddle was way too low, and my "finger travel" was causing me to hit the B slightly, which was too close to the fretboard and - clicky thud.

Raised the B saddle just a hair. Problem solved. You live and learn!

Top Bottom