• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
Ok, I want to play. I'm the future owner of a DD I Bongo 5 HS, originally owned by Biker4Him, then Strummer, then Bovinehost. This is starting to look like a DD genealogy study.

It does happen around here - look at Heinz! He's been everywhere, just like in the Johnny Cash song. Josh's Stingray was mine, then Brad's, now his. And THAT is a good Stingray! (Sold to fund dental surgery, how fun is THAT?) But I had no idea it was still here on the forum - that's cool. I also had a DD SR5 HH with matching headstock....can't remember where that one ended up.

Jack doesn't accept American Express, but he does accept Bongo fiver(s) as legal tender. :D

And as Mark knows, I was perfectly content with my 2 Bongos and was definitely not fishing for a deal or a trade or money or anything. I turned the poor boy down eight or ten times! But....well, I'll be owning a Dargie II and that's pretty cool, too.

Muchas gracias a Marco!

Jack

Aussie Mark

I had a Bongo 4HS (1 of only 5) that I sold earlier this year to Jim (gearhunter420).

He may well be the current King of Dargies, I think he has 5 or 6 now.

mmbassplayer

Here are my infamous pictures...

My daughter perfers the 30th Stingray to the Dargie. She is quite found of the dargie colored couch.
raybass.jpg

And the wife likes the color so much she tried to get a matching car.
dargieandbox.jpg

Jack... are you the original owner of the Stingray?

JOSH

Last edited:

markbass99

And as Mark knows, I was perfectly content with my 2 Bongos and was definitely not fishing for a deal or a trade or money or anything. But....well, I'll be owning a Dargie II and that's pretty cool, too.

Muchas gracias a Marco!
There you go folks, you heard it here first, if anybody is deserving of a Dargie 2 and it's magical powers, it's Lord Bongo himself. It just took awhile to fine tune the mind control rays, Jack's brain had to be marinated slowly with the "just delivered" pictures of the color shifting paint and that gorgeous ebony. In the end Dargie Bongo osmosis will always equalize the pressure, two DD1's in one location and two DD2's in another location will eventually achieve balance, via UPS or Fedex. Jack's not losing a 5HS, he's gaining a 5HS that doesn't know what color it wants to be.

Manfloozy

I did also act temporarily as a stop over point for a DD1 Bongo 4HS Lined Fretless.... but she went to live in CO with OldManMusic shortly there after.

And no... I'm pretty sure it wasn't "that" Bongo 4 LF either. :)

bdgotoh

I peeled the devil woman off before I sold the Ray, Jack. Sorry, it's my Amish upbringing.

I still have my favorite EBMM bass, a Sterling 4HH Dargie that I bought new.

Other Dargies that I've had and sold:
Sterling 4HH
Sterling 4HH
Sterling 4HH
Sterling 4HS
Bongo 4HH
Stingray 4H

silverburst

I cannot remember how many now, but few have passed through my hands, a Silhouette, a couple of Sterlings, a Bongo and some Stingrays.

Lonnystingray

I have a DD 'Ray4 HH, Don't know the number of previous owners, but I bought it from Mike (Caca de Cick).

IMG_0015.jpg

I have never seen another Dargie in Europe, and no Oli, Switzerland is not part of Europe as far as I am concerned :rolleyes:

markbass99

If y'all have some extra time go back in the forum and read posts from July 06 through the end of the year concerning the Dargie saga as it unfolded. It's interesting to see how some of the people who were really excited about their Dargies no longer have them, shows how much things can change in two or three years. Here's a recap of the bass numbers as posted by Dargin himself:
Stinrgay 4 H - 25
Stingray 4 HH - 21
Stingray 4 HS - 17
Stingray 4 2 band - 3
Bongo 4 H - 4
Bongo 4 HP - 1
Bongo 4 HH - 13
Bongo 4 HS - 5
Stingray 5 H - 15
Stingray 5 HH - 23
Stingray 5 HS - 15
Bongo 5 H - 2
Bongo 5 HH - 4
Bongo 5 HS - 3
Bongo 5 HSP - 3
Sterling H - 13
Sterling HP - 1
Sterling HH - 15
Sterling HS - 15
Sterling lefty (chuck ward) -1
Stingray Lefty H - 2
Bongo Lefty HH - 2

Looks like a lot of Stingrays and SR5's were produced in DD while some Bongo models only one or two (or three) :eek:

strummer

Enormous Member
It's interesting to see how some of the people who were really excited about their Dargies no longer have them...

Bongo 5 HS - 3

I wasn't in a position to buy one when they first came out, and then when Biker4Him was selling I jumped on it, wanting a Dargie soo bad. And If it had been a H or HH I would still have it, make no mistakes. I just don't like the HS all that much, too much finesse for me perhaps...
Anyway, cool that you managed to coax a trade out of Jack, I know how difficult he can be;)

Aussie Mark

It's interesting to see how some of the people who were really excited about their Dargies no longer have them, shows how much things can change in two or three years.

Bongo 4 HS - 5

I loved the colour, and still do. At the time, I had a Rolls Bongo 4HH and so ordered the Dargie 4HS so I'd have a different pup config. At the time my main gigs were in a hair band tribute show and a blues band, and the HS didn't have the double barrelled sound that the HH provided. Since then I've added a Grease/Saturday Night Fever tribute show and a Stones tribute band to my roster, and in trying to rationalise the herd so that all my basses will get gig time, the Dargie was one of the basses who became a square peg.

On a positive note, the Dargie Bongo 4HS has been replaced with a buttercream Bongo 4HH, which is a "traditional" enough colour to get regular gig time with me.

syciprider

It's interesting to see how some of the people who were really excited about their Dargies no longer have them, shows how much things can change in two or three years.

That is why it's an addiction :D The dream bass is always the next limited run. :eek:

I played the heck out of my DD for a while. It even sailed halfway around the world with me. But it's been superceded by my 07LE which is a great player. If not for my DD's interesting history I probably would've cashed in on its 1 of 1 status and flipped it for something else.

AJ Brown

Joining the Club

Hey Guys...

My first post here. It looks like I'm joining the DD ranks with my purchase of a used SR4 H from Tommixx @ talkbass. I owned an SR4 in the early 80's and I recently played one at GC and it felt/sounded great as I remember.

It's just a bonus with the color and the martini inlays. My bands name is Cocktail Joe and our logo is green.

Anyway, glad to be here after a long hiatus in MM land.

Top Bottom