• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ishamj

After a proper set up for my fretless, including pu height, I cut a new nut so that the G string and E string (4-string bass) cut their respective magnets the same amount. That worked dramatically well. Now all strings equal volume and sustain.

ishamj

Ive worked on this problem for days, settup, eq, fingerboard, etc. The only thing that semi works is turning up the volume. Im just going to accept that that's the way this bass is, hang it up, and play my Fender J instead. I prefer a more mellow sound anyway.

Mu5icM@n

My '94 Ray had this issue. I lowered the bass side and that resulted in the E and G strings being good, and the A being a little too loud and the D being a lot too loud. The solution--which I recommend only to those with a certain amount of Cu3Zn2 in their genitalia (look it up), was to pull the pickup out of its cover and *very* gently push the D and A pole pieces to the same level as the E and A.

WARNING WARNING WARNING you can ruin your pickup doing this. You've got one shot to get it right. You've been warned.

Remount it in the bass with the bass side lower than the G side. It had a major pucker factor attached, but it also took care of my weak G string issue. YMMV, and your mileage might include a dead pickup.

Top Bottom