• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

progholio

I know, old thread but i thought i would chime in a couple observations -

If the Axis and Albert HH have the same pickups then it's really cool & interesting to hear how different they sound with the different recipes of tone woods and hardware.

As for a Dimarzio Tone Zone - i have one installed in the bridge pos of a Washburn N4 (Alder body, maple/ebony neck. Schaller Floyd) and while it's a pretty decent sounding pickup it doesn't have near
the chunky attack like the stock bridge Axis pickup.

I recently checked out an older USA PV Wolfgang, whatever they did for pickups yielded fairly similar results to the EBMM/Dimarzios in the Axis but seemed like they were trying to go even hotter which wasn't better (got kind of fizzy to my ears).

The tonal recipe for the EBMM EVH/Axis is perfect.

Last edited:

rick lee

Can we revive this one again? I've changed the toggle switches and pots on several of my EBMM Axis and EVH guitars, but it's been a few years. Are these pickups four wire? I can't see anything but black and white wires on the back of the volume pot and no tided or tapes off ends. I want to install a coil split pot and am wondering if it's doable with these pickups. If it's possible, does anyone have a diagram?

headcrash

AFAIK, the early EvH's came with three conductor wires, black and white soldered together as a "center tap" for both coils.
This will enable an Axis Super Sport wiring with a 5 way switch. I don't have a schem for that.
If you can find that center tap you might wire it to a push/push pot for coil tap.
Maybe you should post a picture of how it looks like inside your electronics cavity.

PeteDuBaldo

Wasn't the middle position designed to emulate a more acoustic response? Or did I totally dream that up. I know it has some kind of device (capacitor/resistor or summat?) wired into the circuit in the middle position to affect the tone.

There are no capacitors or resistors wired into either the normal JP or Axis switching, it is tonally dependent upon the inner (or outer) coils being used together.

Guitarshreda

Wasn't the middle position designed to emulate a more acoustic response? Or did I totally dream that up. I know it has some kind of device (capacitor/resistor or summat?) wired into the circuit in the middle position to affect the tone.

The middle position of the JP is the inner coils in parallel, which creates a "Strat" position 2/4 type sound.

chrismilne

I had a pull pot installed years ago to split the coils, does that effect the tone when in its normal position? it's still my favorite guitar to play (though right now its tuned to drop c for a project which doesn't suit it too well).

Top Bottom