• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danny-79

Good to know. I have a SR5 with aftermarket pre and pickup, so no condemnation here. :D

You've really got my interest piqued on the Bongo H!

I also have aftermarket pups in two of them :p

Bongo single H (never had a bass of any description with a P) so can’t comment on that but I know they are in a whole world of their own , my EQ is set pretty much flat and volume on bass no more than 70% the way up, all out of fear !!!

Samoht

I also have aftermarket pups in two of them :p

Bongo single H (never had a bass of any description with a P) so can’t comment on that but I know they are in a whole world of their own , my EQ is set pretty much flat and volume on bass no more than 70% the way up, all out of fear !!!

I saw two good demos of the Bongo H on YT. It is certainly a beast all it's own. I love the tone, from what I can hear.

I had a thought, maybe not a sane or good one, but if you slammed a single coil next to the Bongo HH bridge pickup position, that would put the bridge H neck-facing coil and the single coil in, pretty much, the Stingray pickup position. I can't help myself. A quick mockup:
Bongo 5HS mod.jpg

With some slick switching (providing either coil split, series, parallel for the humbucker and a way to have both pickups either in series or parallel with each other) this would be a very useful configuration. It would be like a combination of the single H and HH, in a way....obviously without having the neck humbucker at all.

Attachments

• Bongo 5HS mod, closeup.jpg
    Bongo 5HS mod, closeup.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 202
  • Bongo5HsModBlue.jpg
    Bongo5HsModBlue.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

five7

The preamp would still sound different than a sr. I am thinking of some type of game changer magic. I like the body and neck shape of the bongo and the sound but would be cool if it could sound like a sr with the push or flip of a switch.

Samoht

The preamp would still sound different than a sr. I am thinking of some type of game changer magic. I like the body and neck shape of the bongo and the sound but would be cool if it could sound like a sr with the push or flip of a switch.

i'm with you. That would be awesome! No need for any other bass at all for me if that was possible.

danny-79

Like the Gamechanger but with out the complicated software.
So it would have two individual preamps already on board, single H setting and you just simply switch between the two. That would be pretty cool

Speaking of dream Bongos for fun, I whipped this up back in April. Behold the Monarchy Bongo series!

57462776_10161675816235125_8856110208007536640_n.jpg

And here are some other designs I dabbled with. It's fun to daydream...

6sting0003.png bongo.png MajestyBass.png

Last edited:

Samoht

Speaking of dream Bongos for fun, I whipped this up back in April. Behold the Monarchy Bongo series!

View attachment 35656

And here are some other designs I dabbled with. It's fun to daydream...

View attachment 35658 View attachment 35659 View attachment 35660
Awesome thoughts and mockups! Thanks for posting! I love the monarchy Bongo and the triple pickups! Give me the Red Bongo Monarchy in 5 strings, with the pickup positioned further back towards the bridge.... love it!

Last edited:
Thanks and no probs! I'll take 27 Monarchies in Enchanted Forest (One of the most gorgeous finishes ever) and Majestic Purple. Call me a stubborn dreamer but I'm fairly certain EBMM knows how to make a 24-fret 6-string Stingray ;)

Samoht

Based on Cool Hand Luke's cool Triplebucker Bongo with a 5-way switch, attached is a mockup. The pickup is in the Bongo HH bridge position in the bottom 2 coils, and the classic Stingray position in the top 2 coils.
BFRBongoTriplebuckerWith5-way.jpg
BongoModBlueTripleBuckerWith5-way.jpg
BongoMod2BlueTripleBuckerWith5-way.jpg

Last edited:

Samoht

I thought about that....a Quadbucker. Seems like a wonderful idea to me. I’ll do a mock-up.

Samoht

Maybe not a quadbucker..but 2 normal Bongo humbuckers side by side:

BFRBongoClosebuckersWith5-way.jpg

The quadbucker thing is a little weird in that you have no height adjustment independence across 4 coils:

BFRBongoQuadbuckerWith5-way.jpg

EDIT: Here's a higher contrast version of the Triplebucker BFR...it's a little easier to see everything:

BFRBongoTriplebuckerWith5-wayHIGH CONTRAST.jpg

Last edited:

danny-79

Reading back through theses, I’m starting to expect some Spinal Tap 4x humbuckers :p

But seriously, the triple bucker to be able to go between H and HH set to back sounds interesting and usable to me :cool:

Samoht

I thought about a “Mr Horsepower” Bongo for laughs... May still attempt it.

Samoht

I can try. Which 6 string Bongo base picture do you want me to start with? I won’t be able to until Thursday but I should be able to.

dave1812

What about a Fanned Fret Bongo with that Triplebucker and a Singlecoil somewhat like a Dingwall Afterburner?

Top Bottom