• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

7enderbender

In a way I hope EBMM doesn't grow much bigger and remains one of those top quality "almost insider" companies. Those in the know appreciate what they get. The whole endorsement thing might also be unnecessary, especially in the more premium segment. Do I really buy a guitar because XY & Z plays one? Nope. I bought my JP15 because it fit my needs and wants and is an outstanding instrument. I bought it not because John Petrucci had it designed and puts his name on it but despite (!) that fact. And I've been a fan since the early days.
I'm sure EBMM has done their research on how big the market segment is that is drawn in because of endorsements. But other companies for many years had strict policies against endorsements and I think that's a good approach that also draws attention. You want our top notch product? Then pay for it.

beej

But endorsements work! I like to think I'm not easily influenced, but I'm sure I am.

I came to MM via the Steve Morse guitar, which I loved the shape of because I'd seen him play it. Not that it was his guitar, but I became comfortable with it and grew to love the styling. (And then handed over my wallet ...)

But even if I didn't buy his sig guitar, I'd know that if MM was good enough for him (or Petrucci, Luke, Lee, etc.), their other guitars were certainly good enough for me.

What matters more to me is that EBMM artists actually play their sig guitars. Not just the ones specifically tweaked for them, but the off-the-shelf models. I've seen Steve Morse and Albert Lee pick guitars off the wall and just kill it. Not something that people really expect of signature models.

DevRock

BP and the crew are absolutely stellar. I’ve been attending MAMM for several years now and to see BP interact with his atlrtist is stellar.
I’m really close with Dean Wells and personally know the separation was extremely difficult for each party. I know a lot of that has to do with the way BP treats you like a son, daughter... you’re family.
To watch him interact with Hunter during the Q&A was stellar. It was like watching two lifelong friends chat and jam. It was great

I was sad to see Dean go, too. I will be forever grateful for EBMM taking him on, as I had never heard of him or Teramaze (and, as a result, Messhiak) before until he posted here when he got his endorsement several years back. To me, he's one of the top under-recognized, unknown, brilliant musicians out there and I do everything I can to spread his name/music. Very, very few artists have had that effect on me.

Anyway, I didn't see the original thread, so I don't know what else you guys are talking about. :D

spychocyco

In a way I hope EBMM doesn't grow much bigger and remains one of those top quality "almost insider" companies. Those in the know appreciate what they get. The whole endorsement thing might also be unnecessary, especially in the more premium segment. Do I really buy a guitar because XY & Z plays one? Nope. I bought my JP15 because it fit my needs and wants and is an outstanding instrument.

But how do you know that it's the instrument that fits your needs and wants if you don't know about it, if you never have a chance to play it? EBMMs aren't like Fender and Gibson, where you can walk into a shop in just about any town in the country, pick one up and play it. I have to drive 2-plus hours to the nearest EBMM dealer, and if I'm lucky, there may be one or two in stock these days. Usually, I'm not lucky. So how does the guy/girl who doesn't live near a well-stocked dealer find out about them? Because they see John Petrucci playing one, or Morse, or Lukather, or Valentine, or St. Vincent, and they become curious and interested in the brand. That's the necessity of endorsement. Otherwise, a lot of those folks are going to end up with the brand they can buy in their local store and never experience an EBMM.

I want EBMM to do everything they can to succeed. I don't necessarily need to see them in my local store like Fenders (though that would be nice for me and bad for my bank account), but I want to always be able to get one, and I want to see some of those projects that are in the pipeline and see what kind of innovations BP and Co. can come up with.

I get the feeling of wanting be part of a small, "in the know" club. I'm a metalhead, and we're pretty much all like that. :) The problem is that if there aren't enough members, sometimes the club goes away.

Last edited:

RichieZ

I think the endorsement thing definitely works... even beyond fans of the player.
I was watching the Voice in the summer of 2016 with my family. The cast was performing live and Adam was playing a guitar I didn't recognize. Got a good look a the headstock and saw the word Axis. Looked into it, found out about EBMM and James Valentine and the Valentine. Saw it, heard it, loved it and bought it. Still love it. May never had seen it or looked into any EBMM without the Valentine endorsement. Turns out he's a great guy and guitarist... but never knew of him prior.

That was a very fortunate discovery... to this day have never come across a Valentine in a store... and I'm in a fairly metropolitan area.

Thanks BP... amazing guitar and company. Love that its a father and sons and that you're all involved and passionate.

Last edited:

TripHazard

Man. I feel like 1 is enough for me. I’ve ordered friends to cut my fingers off if I think about wearing a ring again :)

MaxKlein40

In a way I hope EBMM doesn't grow much bigger and remains one of those top quality "almost insider" companies. Those in the know appreciate what they get. The whole endorsement thing might also be unnecessary, especially in the more premium segment. Do I really buy a guitar because XY & Z plays one?

I love how small EBMM is but I still think they should do endorsements for the publicity/exposure. Being exposed and ramping up production are two different. The more people get interested in the company and the fewer instruments they make, the more of an "insider company" they become (which I love)

tbonesullivan

If I am going to get a Signature model, I usually like it to be one that is from an artist that has worked with the same company for years, and built a relationship. I would want something that isn't just a name slapped on a slightly customized model.

When an endorser moves from company to company all the time *cough*EVH*cough* it really says they are more about the $$$ than about the guitar. And of course, in many of those cases, you get what is essentially a tribute model, not the same thing that they actually play. They also are guitars MADE to play. Some have some interesting features, but they are thought out with the player in mind.

With EBMM, they are what they use. High quality and long term endorsements. And they make a product that can stand up to Steve Morse's touring for 15 refrets.

What you get now though is a lot of companies that are starting off, and they offer the moon to whatever player the can get their hands on. I've never really understood this type of philosophy. Ultimately it's the product that sells itself, not the endorser.

Last edited:

Smellybum

I saw this year back when Tyler Bryant fresh out of high school was a promising EBMM artist and then was lured away by Fender. like all industries there are non-ethical practices. I am proud that EBMM always try to do the right thing with the resources they available to them.

During these times where larger companies have an uncertain future and the overall market shrinks I think it's critical to stick to your founding principles and always try to do the right thing.

Thank you BP and the team.

Big Poppa

Tyler was a bit frustrating....we were there for him for many years when nobody knew who he was We gave him opportunities to raise his profile and fender lured him away...but he didnt have to go I read his wikipedia and it says that Eric Clapton invited hiim to play crossroads...not true we were a sponsor and got him he invite revisionist history Obviously he wanted what Fender wanted. Thats the way the cookie crumbles. No hard feelings.

Last edited:

JayDawg

Sterling, my whole reason for wanting to start a store but have it mainly feature Ernie Ball Music Man and Sterling by Music Man was really for one purpose. To help grow and further both the Ernie Ball brand and Music Man brand. I really don’t have the desire to carry other brands because I want to only grow the EBMM brands and they are the only brands that I am passionate about. But until the store is ready and I can then sign my contract, what else can I do to help promote and grow both brands? I don’t want any money or special privileges, I just want to do whatever I can to help you guys because everyone at EBMM has been so good to both my family and I.

I don’t care if you need me to talk with other stores or potential retail stores, assist any endorsed artists coming through Colorado or whatever it is. Just let me know how I can help further and promote the brands.

TripHazard

Sterling, I want your guitars to have a bigger footprint in the UK, but I’m not a recording artist. Is there anything I can do as a bedroom playing bum to help? I know the answer is probably no, but figured I’d ask.
My friend runs a guitar shop locally - what could I say to him to get him on board?

Last edited:

beej

I remember meeting Tyler at the bar near the open house ... Luke taking him aside and talking to him for ages. Talk about being given an opportunity! Man.

GWDavis28

I remember meeting Tyler at the bar near the open house ... Luke taking him aside and talking to him for ages. Talk about being given an opportunity! Man.

Beej I remember that too.

Glenn |B)

Last edited:
Top Bottom