• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

goatgoesbahhhhh

Hey all, I'm currently playing this really sweet Ibanez XPT700 (Xiphos line) and i can't seem to get the Floyd Rose (it's my first guitar with a floyd) to cooperate with Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings. I'm not sure what my issue is, whether it be that the gauges are too high (11-48) or that i just have no idea how to work with a floyd, but my old strings, fender super bullets, worked fine, so can somebody help me out here?

paranoid70

What do you mean by not cooperating? I can't imagine the .011 gage is too thick for your Floyd.

I always cut the ball end off and inserted it into the Floyd bridge and tighten, the other end I wrap around the tuner and then tune the guitar. Of course then you replace all the strings lock the nut and fine tune it. Is that the way you do it?

I gotta be honest, I hated messing with Ibanez's version of the Floyd Rose. It was a decent guitar, but I ended up trading it for a Music Man.

Last edited:

DrGonzo5150

What do you mean by not cooperating?

+1

Your previous gage was 9-42.
Your EBs are 11-42.

I imagine you mean the new strings pull the bridge waaay to far forward.
Is that correct?

If you remove the back plate of the guitar, you will see a number of springs attached to the trem unit. You will need to adjust the trem claw or add additional springs to counter the extra tension of heavier gage.

If that is indeed the problem you are having, I or some of the others can elaborate further. :)

Cheers

firebrand

. . . and . . .

you will most likely have to adjust the tension of the truss rod in the neck and have the edge trem adjusted so your guitar plays "in tune" with itself.

Nicolae Surdu

Sorry to resurect this topic, but I have the same problem.

I have an Ibanez RG 370DX and I just bought the Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings. It seems the gauge is to thick, because the strings pull to much on the bridge. I've tighten the springs screws in the back-side of the guitar to what I believe is the maximum and it's still not enough (the bridge is still not leveled and banks towards the fret-board).

Should I add more springs in the back? CAN I add more springs? For now I have only 3, but I'm afraid there are no more holes in the bridge to put more springs (the springs are fasten to the bridge with an extra plate on this model, so I can't see if there are extra holes, but the screws which hold the plate seem to be where the holes for the springs should be).

Also, could it help if I move the end of the springs which are not attached to the bridge on hole inward ?

I've attached a picture with my current back-side setup.

Thank you!

IMG_8764.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Also, could it help if I move the end of the springs which are not attached to the bridge on hole inward ?

Yes, certainly worth doing but I don't think it will make much difference. You should try buying new springs. These ones may be quite 'soft' or low tension. Newer springs might be stronger. Any similar springs for any guitar will do, as long as they fit into the bridge correctly.

You should try asking on the Ibanez forum. They'll know more about it your guitar than most people here.

Good luck!

Warg Master

Yes, certainly worth doing but I don't think it will make much difference. You should try buying new springs. These ones may be quite 'soft' or low tension. Newer springs might be stronger. Any similar springs for any guitar will do, as long as they fit into the bridge correctly.

You should try asking on the Ibanez forum. They'll know more about it your guitar than most people here.

Good luck!

Or add a spring.....

Top Bottom