• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

petruccirocks02

Originally Posted by petruccirocks02
I layed the 5150 III numerous times and loved it.

Watch those hot tubes - they are different to hot women

:eek: :eek: ;)

Whoops. Haha. Edited.

-Phil

whitestrat

I don't really like that one. It just never did what I wanted it to do. I rather have one of Egnater's Mod 50 amps, which absolutely destroy the Tourmaster IMHO.

Hmm... That's odd... I never got a chance to try the Mod50 amps, but I did like the Tourmaster very much... I'm actually thinking of buying one!:D

greenwizard

Funny that this thread popped up.
I just tried out the III today in GC. I was playing a Hardtail Axis (not supersport...clearly very old!).
It sang!!!! I actually liked the first two channels at decent volume levels. I briefly consulted one of the salesman as to how loud I could legally crank Channel 3 and he let me indulge for about 30 seconds (and people knock GC!). I don't think it really lent itself to EVH tones, but I really enjoyed playing some solos with the neck p'up.
Way too much amp for me though. When I play my Mesa 5:50 at 5w with the Master at 8 I get complaints from dormmates......
BTW, if anyone wants to spend 1,000 on a 10 year old amber axis, head to Orange, CT!!!!

roburado

Hmm... That's odd... I never got a chance to try the Mod50 amps, but I did like the Tourmaster very much... I'm actually thinking of buying one!:D

The thing about the Tourmaster is that they're not really made by Egnater. They're made in China, I believe. The production is completely outsourced. The Mod 50 is made by hand in Bruce Egnater's shop here in Michigan. For a Mod 50 you'll pay twice as much (at least here in the U.S.) as you would for a Tourmaster, but man, it's totally worth it. The Mod 50 is just unbelievably good, and you can totally change the character of the amp with the different preamp modules. Fantastic!

nobozos

Had an opportunity to play one, and I have to say I was very impressed. In my opinion, it sounds much better than the old P#$%& version. I own a 5150 Combo, and it smokes mine. It is also much more versitile with the three channels than the older version.

That being said, I recently had the opportunity to play through a Bogner Extacy, and I was completely blown away. It is without a doubt the finest amp I have had the pleasure of playing through. If I could get any one amp, it would be that one. It is very expensive though. Once you get the head and the footswitch, you're looking at about $3800. :eek: If money is not an object for you, get that one, you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom