• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
W

W.Suitor

IMG_7525.jpg
IMG_7526.jpg
Its been a long time coming, but my 1992 Trans Purple quilt (serial number 81309) has eventually faded to completely natural! I have watched this process over many years, hoping that it would eventually end up like this. I absolutely love this guitar, and am very fortunate to own it! It was originally an Artist Relations Dept guitar, first owned by a factory employee I believe? If said employee is still around, this is how your guitar looks today!

Last edited:
W

W.Suitor

Oh wow! That is pretty cool. I guess it's stored in an area that has exposure to sunlight?

Story is........I bought the guitar in 1999/2000 or thereabouts! When I bought it, I'd have called it 'extremely faded'. All of the dark purple had gone completely, leaving a faint hue of purple all over. Over the last 17 years it has not been kept intentionally out of daylight to anything, but it has slowly faded to natural all by itself! Obviously I cannot account for the first eight years of its life, but evidently thats where 90% of the fading occurred!

I also have a trans black one (1991 - serial number 80139) that I keep a very close eye on and do intententionally keep stored out of UV light! as a result, it has only faded by 10% or so! Both are just simply stunning instruments!

tbonesullivan

The stingray pictured in my avatar has a bit of fading to it. I don't know where it was stored, but it seems to be the same on the back and front. When I pulled the pickguard once, I could see how much it had faded. I hope it stays the color it is, as I like it.

Luc

That's actually...sad to me. :(

+1. Personally, I don't like faded finishes. I know a natural quilt looks nice but you buy a color, not a natural. TBH, I'm quite shocked how the tribute Axes are fading and I'm only hoping the Morses with the blue quilt and reverse headstocks will not fade, but I highly doubt it. Is it because it's a hand stain? Different material? It looks so nice new but I wouldn't buy one because of the fading.

tbonesullivan

From what I have heard, stains are less resistant to fading. Most of the translucent and solid finishes are automotive paints. They are very resistant to fading. The stains though, not so much.

beej

+1. Personally, I don't like faded finishes. I know a natural quilt looks nice but you buy a color, not a natural. TBH, I'm quite shocked how the tribute Axes are fading and I'm only hoping the Morses with the blue quilt and reverse headstocks will not fade, but I highly doubt it. Is it because it's a hand stain? Different material? It looks so nice new but I wouldn't buy one because of the fading.
The original EVHs had this issue- it hasn't been an issue with the Axis series, or any of the other instruments for that matter. Something that was corrected long ago.

dibart77

The original EVHs had this issue- it hasn't been an issue with the Axis series, or any of the other instruments for that matter. Something that was corrected long ago.

Beej, the Axis Tributes do have the same issue as the EVH (same dye, and no UV protection in clear coat). My Tributes are all in their cases and some of them are still fading.

tbonesullivan

Sounds like the dye itself may not be super stable, and may be reacting to the slow trickle of oxygen that makes its way through the wood.

Razzle

Okay, so let me see if I understand this...

You got a picture of it purple hanging on the wall.

Then you got a picture of it natural hanging on the same wall.

So you've had the thing hanging on the same place on the same wall for 25 years?!?!?!?

tbonesullivan

Wait, ok now I get it. Those are NOT the same guitar. They are just hanging in the same place, 4 minutes apart. Look at the clock, and the flame on the top.

I guess that's what it used to look like?

W

W.Suitor

Sorry for the ambiguity in my initial post guys! I can see where the confusion came from! Here's the situation! This post was my first to incorporate pictures. I mistakenly uploaded pictures of my trans black EVH beneath the pictures of the faded trans purple one! I have since removed the pictures of the black one.
So, to clarify, the purple one must have faded considerably by the time I bought it when it was around 8 years old. It was almost natural at this point, but there was a distinct purple hue to it. However, as time has passed, this purple hue has completely faded leaving a beautiful natural look!
I completely understand and respect anyones view that if you buy a particular guitar in your chosen colour, that it should remain like that! However, that's in an ideal world! As we don't live in an ideal world, human interaction plays a part and mistakes inevitably happen! In my opinion, this is what makes things special. The fading in these guitars, while not intentional I'm sure, is actually part of their story and history! Like it or not, it's happened and is there for all to see.
It is my view that when you are dealing with top quality guitars, built by highly skilled artisans utilising considerable amounts of human hand work, there will always be the potential for something to not go quite right! For me, that's where the art is!

Top Bottom