• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

stu42

Can the bongo single H sound like the sterling pictured. I love the way a sterling sounds. When I had the bongo single H I didn't have a sterling so I couldn't compare them. Only was able to compare the bongo single H to the HH. The H just didn't have the ummp the HH had so I let it go. The kid I sold it to had a bongo 4 HH and never really got use to the H so he sold it. I would like to try another one with the piezo but there just aren't any to try here in denver. Hint, hint GC.

To my ears, the Bongo H doesn't sound like the Sterling very much. When I had the Sterling H I thought it sounded a fair bit darker than the Bongo H. The Bongo H just has a really detailed sound...more Hi-Fi than the Sterling but still very warm in the mids. So, it kind of combines a modern Hi-Fi kind of vibe because of its extended frequency response but it still has kind of a vintage overall sound because of its warmth in the mids. Mind you...this is generally speaking because you can always tailor the sound somewhat to darken or brighten it or scoop it out etc with the tone controls. But...without tweaking the tone controls too much I think what I've said here is valid.

Of the basses I've had, the one that came the closest to the tone and feel (punch, volume and power) of the Bongo H was when I had my Big Al SSS and played it with all buttons up (which is bridge + middle pickups in series). However, even that's not really the same in that the Bongo has that same punch as the Big Al with Bridge+Middle but it's...not sure how to describe it...tighter and more open sounding probably owing to the Bongo having its coils wired in Parallel so the mids are less dense sounding. But it has a kind of power and punch similar to coils wired in series.

These are kind of esoteric terms but if you can relate then maybe that helps.

Last edited:

JOEinCA

To my ears, the Bongo H doesn't sound like the Sterling very much. When I had the Sterling H I thought it sounded a fair bit darker than the Bongo H. The Bongo H just has a really detailed sound...more Hi-Fi than the Sterling but still very warm in the mids. So, it kind of combines a modern Hi-Fi kind of vibe because of its extended frequency response but it still has kind of a vintage overall sound because of its warmth in the mids. Mind you...this is generally speaking because you can always tailor the sound somewhat to darken or brighten it or scoop it out etc with the tone controls. But...without tweaking the tone controls too much I think what I've said here is valid.

Of the basses I've had, the one that came the closest to the tone and feel (punch, volume and power) of the Bongo H was when I had my Big Al SSS and played it with all buttons up (which is bridge + middle pickups in series). However, even that's not really the same in that the Bongo has that same punch as the Big Al with Bridge+Middle but it's...not sure how to describe it...tighter and more open sounding probably owing to the Bongo having its coils wired in Parallel so the mids are less dense sounding. But it has a kind of power and punch similar to coils wired in series.

These are kind of esoteric terms but if you can relate then maybe that helps.

Stu42, tone wise, what difference do you notice between the standard bongo necks and the roasted ...is it noticeable? I'm sure it feels different. I guess the solid Rosewood would be the 3rd type?

-Joe

stu42

Stu42, tone wise, what difference do you notice between the standard bongo necks and the roasted ...is it noticeable? I'm sure it feels different. I guess the solid Rosewood would be the 3rd type?

-Joe

Well...the only kind of comparison I could give you is based on playing acoustically since I've never owned a Roasted and Non-Roasted (standard) neck Bongo with the same pickup configuration. But, based on the acoustic differences I'd say that the original claims for the sonic benefits of the Roasted neck are true. That is, the Roasted neck produces a slightly stronger fundamental note - so, in other words, a stronger bottom end.

Also, I would say that the sustain was a tiny bit better - but, that said, any two different basses/guitars could differ by a small amount in that sense.

I also would say that the mids are slightly less pronounced with the Roasted neck. I understand that it also darkens the tone a bit which I believe is why they used Ebony as the fingerboard material on the first roasted neck model offering (and Pau Ferro on the 2nd offering) because Ebony is harder and tends to brighten the tone a bit.

So...that's all I've got. I don't know really how it translates into anything when you're playing through an amp but I suppose if you've got really good ears you might hear the difference.

JOEinCA

Well...the only kind of comparison I could give you is based on playing acoustically since I've never owned a Roasted and Non-Roasted (standard) neck Bongo with the same pickup configuration. But, based on the acoustic differences I'd say that the original claims for the sonic benefits of the Roasted neck are true. That is, the Roasted neck produces a slightly stronger fundamental note - so, in other words, a stronger bottom end.

Also, I would say that the sustain was a tiny bit better - but, that said, any two different basses/guitars could differ by a small amount in that sense.

I also would say that the mids are slightly less pronounced with the Roasted neck. I understand that it also darkens the tone a bit which I believe is why they used Ebony as the fingerboard material on the first roasted neck model offering (and Pau Ferro on the 2nd offering) because Ebony is harder and tends to brighten the tone a bit.

So...that's all I've got. I don't know really how it translates into anything when you're playing through an amp but I suppose if you've got really good ears you might hear the difference.

Thanks Stu. I prefer the satin finish on the back of the neck to a gloss like the SR classics. I suppose I'd have to weigh the tonal subtleties against the comfort subtleties. I believe I heard the roasted necks are a bit more resistent to environmental changes that require neck adjustments..thats could be a good thing as we have some extremes here in Fresno seasonally and my current bass gets pretty out of whack.

BassTractor

I wonder if anyone else besides me got the BASIC humor?

My guess is most will have gotten my quite basic humour. :)
Just to be sure though, I meant to express that Joe should just get one, and that chances are the next one will be a Bongo with different configuration anyway.

best,
bert

Last edited:

keko

So called "sweetspot" is pickup distance from the bridge, ...so that picture above is not in the right order, ...You should equal the bridges first, than You'll see that Bongo single H got "sweetspotted" H pickup!

Here's one pic for better understanding of the sweetspot:

1fc372946c0b98fb8d7f87d.jpg

Last edited:

Mabongohogany

Harmonic frequencies produced by the so-called "sweet spot" in a single pup bass produce tonal centers.
The issue/statement/Great Debate seemed to be whether those frequencies, or tone in general, can be produced on a 2 pup model, in this case the Bongo HH.

Of course they can- One poster talked of his greater mid-range growl. Aren't there mid-range controls, both high/low, on the HH?
What about your amp? I have rigs with mid-sweeps, graphic eq, para-eq and so on. Ever see the EQ section of a ThunderFunk? If not, look at the specs. I get a whole lotta control w/mine!

"I can only get that sound from an H Bongo!" only means what it says: Poster(s) cannot get that sound.
It doesn't mean it's not in the parameters of the instrument, it means that he/she can't produce it.

Give me Marcus Miller's bass; I won't get his sound-He will.

If the H version of a Bongo is the choice ("Big Poppas Favorite":rolleyes:) you like- Go for it.
It's a great choice- But they took it up a notch with HH and HS versions, I'm not a big fan of piezo's,
(I have a GHOST-equipped bass btw), and don't think I would want one if I were to order another Bongo.

I'm almost tempted to TEAR one of the pups outta my HH because that bass is so overwhelmingly powerful, it actually takes some real effort and finesse to tame it- Otherwise the Instrument can dominate the mix and be too forward.
Not what I choose to hear in my Rhythm Section, ruins the groove & pocket.

Love my HH, love the serious eq, love the blend control. I can get tons of tonal variety, including the sacred/secret sweet spot of a single H-
Had I mentioned that I bought/sold a very cool Stealth Black H version? Had it for about 4 months, sold, because It was redundant to my Mahogany-bodied. HH.

I put "hundreds of hours" on that bass too!:D

OP- Buy any Bongo- even if they are "ugly" you can not go wrong!.

Last edited:

BassTractor

OK, ...we can put it this way too, ...in final we're talkin' about the same position according the 34" scale, right?

Yeah, but Freddels' way avoids the saddle-position-average thing, and hence is preferable, as there's enough people on the planet who'd do it wrongly given half a chance.

best,
bert

JOEinCA

Harmonic frequencies produced by the so-called "sweet spot" in a single pup bass produce tonal centers.
The issue/statement/Great Debate seemed to be whether those frequencies, or tone in general, can be produced on a 2 pup model, in this case the Bongo HH.

Of course they can- One poster talked of his greater mid-range growl. Aren't there mid-range controls, both high/low, on the HH?
What about your amp? I have rigs with mid-sweeps, graphic eq, para-eq and so on. Ever see the EQ section of a ThunderFunk? If not, look at the specs. I get a whole lotta control w/mine!

"I can only get that sound from an H Bongo!" only means what it says: Poster(s) cannot get that sound.
It doesn't mean it's not in the parameters of the instrument, it means that he/she can't produce it.

If the H version of a Bongo is the choice ("Big Poppas Favorite":rolleyes:) you like- Go for it.
It's a great choice- But they took it up a notch with HH and HS versions, I'm not a big fan of piezo's,
(I have a GHOST-equipped bass btw), and don't think I would want one if I were to order another Bongo.

I'm almost tempted to TEAR one of the pups outta my HH because that bass is so overwhelmingly powerful, it actually takes some real effort and finesse to tame it- Otherwise the Instrument can dominate the mix and be too forward.
Not what I choose to hear in my Rhythm Section, ruins the groove & pocket.

Love my HH, love the serious eq, love the blend control. I can get tons of tonal variety, including the sacred/secret sweet spot of a single H-
Had I mentioned that I bought/sold a very cool Stealth Black H version? Had it for about 4 months, sold, because It was redundant to my Mahogany-bodied. HH.

I put "hundreds of hours" on that bass too!:D

OP- Buy any Bongo- even if they are "ugly" you can not go wrong!.

Excellent input from everyone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the points of view given here. Its really helped educate me on many aspects of these great basses I would have otherwise discovered after the purchase. I will post on here what I eventually go with as I hope to pull the trigger real soon. Thanks!

Joe

Freddels

OK, ...we can put it this way too, ...in final we're talkin' about the same position according the 34" scale, right?

Yes, but by measuring from the nut, there's no difference with a 20/21/24 fret neck, no difference in bridge placement from one bass model (or manufacturer) to another. So long as the scale is the same, then it's apples to apples.

stu42

A guitar or bass with multiple pickups will create cancellations or attenuations of the signal at various frequencies and signal boosts at other frequencies. A bass with one pickup, or two coils close to each other, will create a different frequency response curve. The interaction between the two pickups is important for creating the specific character of an instrument.

Aren't there mid-range controls, both high/low, on the HH?

The tone controls on the Bongo are very flexible indeed, for a bass guitar, but they can't fully compensate for the different signal response that is caused by the cancelling effects of having both pickups amplifying the signal at different points along the string.

This is an irrelevant point and has nothing to do with what we're talking about and you should know that. I'm sure that with enough signal processing I could probably make my Strat sound like a Bongo. But I am not talking about using signal processing outside of the instrument itself in an effort to make one sound like the other. If you want to bring your amp or effects pedals or whatever into the equation then all bets are off.

I'd love to say some things about this but I'll refrain. Let's just agree to disagree.

Another completely irrelevant point.

I apologize to everyone else reading this for my inability to resist taking the bait but sometimes you gotta take a stand. So...there you have it. I'm done with this topic.

Mabongohogany

I'm sure that with enough signal processing I could probably make my Strat sound like a Bongo

You lost it right there. Enough said.

Your theories/statements regarding: "attenuation- signal frequiences produced by one vs. two pickup basses with regard to the cancelling effects of having both pickups amplifying the signal at different points along the string."

Has GOT to be the most long-winded self-manifested (!) statement I have ever read!
I mean, Wow, do you actually PLAY??? ...or Listen????
Or do you only theorize about how & why a single-pickup instrument can produce a secret, elusive, magical, unique TONE! ..
Because it has only (1) pick-up placed in that elusive "Sweet spot"?

SO
sad, dude!

C'mon. you're selling, I am not buying! Sorry. Nice try though, big words/phrases, quote/refute & all.
There is no way in you-know-where you could possibly distinguish an A/B recording of an H vs HH bass line, and I JUST may do a recording utilizing both basses to show that, unless you flipped a coin, there would be NO discernible differences. It could be fun!

I apologize to everyone else reading this for my inability to resist taking the bait but sometimes you gotta take a stand.

You apologize to everyone??? Frankly I don't thing "everyone" believes your so-called scientifically undeniable facts regarding the Holy Sweet Spot Single-pup Bongo...Or cares!!

So...there you have it. I'm done with this topic.

Fan-Tastic!
:D

bassmonkeee

Stu--good idea to stop wasting your time. I gave up, too. I wasn't planning on posting again on that subject, but I wanted to say to you, "Nice post."

He's obviously right, and everyone else is obviously wrong. Bringing facts and reason into the equation don't help. Pickup placement is irrelevant. Harmonic overtones are irrelevant. That's why Fender continues to sell Jazz Basses with both 60s and 70s bridge pickup placement, of course. And, that's why players have a preference. The single H Bongo only exists to have a different pricepoint. That's why they went to the trouble to move the pickup location on the single H model.

No one ever said you can't get a reasonable facsimile with a two pickup Bongo. I can get lots of tones from my dual pickup Bongos that get close to what I'd be using from a single H, but it's not identical. Just like you can't get a P Bass tone from a J Bass. You can get close--but it's different.

That's all anyone is saying. But, that doesn't make sense, of course. It becomes necessary to use phrases like "Holy Sweet Spot Single-pup Bongo" in bolded italics.

You backed up your opinion with reasonable statements, and got [that] "Has GOT to be the most long-winded self-manifested (!) statement I have ever read!" in response.

Why bother? Ask Leo Fender about pickup placement not mattering.

He talks about "secret elusive magical unique" tones. There is nothing secret about them. Overtones are overtones, and no amount of EQ can change that.

Hell, the Bongo 3 band eq has a different set of EQ points than the 4 band Bongo EQ, too. We haven't even opened up that can of worms.

Waiting with baited breath for the bolded/italicized/multiple repeated punctuation/insulting (do you actually PLAY???...or Listen????) response.

So, Joe--got a Bongo yet?

Last edited:

Mabongohogany

Stu--good idea to stop wasting your time. I gave up, too. I wasn't planning on posting again on that subject, but I wanted to say to you, "Nice post."

He's obviously right, and everyone else is obviously wrong. Bringing facts and reason into the equation don't help. Pickup placement is irrelevant. Harmonic overtones are irrelevant. That's why Fender continues to sell Jazz Basses with both 60s and 70s bridge pickup placement, of course. And, that's why players have a preference. The single H Bongo only exists to have a different pricepoint. That's why they went to the trouble to move the pickup location on the single H model.

No one ever said you can't get a reasonable facsimile with a two pickup Bongo. I can get lots of tones from my dual pickup Bongos that get close to what I'd be using from a single H, but it's not identical. Just like you can't get a P Bass tone from a J Bass. You can get close--but it's different.

That's all anyone is saying. But, that doesn't make sense, of course. It becomes necessary to use phrases like "Holy Sweet Spot Single-pup Bongo" in bolded italics.

You backed up your opinion with reasonable statements, and got [that] "Has GOT to be the most long-winded self-manifested (!) statement I have ever read!" in response.

Why bother? Ask Leo Fender about pickup placement not mattering.

He talks about "secret elusive magical unique" tones. There is nothing secret about them. Overtones are overtones, and no amount of EQ can change that.

Hell, the Bongo 3 band eq has a different set of EQ points than the 4 band Bongo EQ, too. We haven't even opened up that can of worms.

Waiting with baited breath for the bolded/italicized/multiple repeated punctuation/insulting (do you actually PLAY???...or Listen????) response.

So, Joe--got a Bongo yet?

What a MARVELOUS "Bromance" post monkee.
You are indeed a silver/platinum Forumite, and when you post- PLAYERS MUST LISTEN!

Not me!

Here's your Waiting with baited breath for the bolded/italicized/multiple repeated punctuation/insulting (do you actually PLAY???...or Listen????) response:

Talk all you will about J-Bass pup placement, or overtones, P vs J, and Leo Fender's views on pup placement.

Let's do THIS:
!

I've made (2) tracks by removing the bassline from a short demo I did with my Rhythm section, originally recorded with a Thumb Bass, a few years back.

I isolated & removed the bass track, then dubbed (2) versions , one with my HH, one with an H version that I had sold (But still can use, obviously!)

Both set dead flat. BTW, Megan (Vocals) you still please my ears when I hear you sing!:D

Tell me which is which.
Tell me which has the eelusive sweet spot tone that can only be achieved through the "H" Variant.

https://soundcloud.com/mabongohogany/tell-mama-bongo-hhvhi
https://soundcloud.com/mabongohogany/tell-mama-bongo-hvhh-ii

Didn't think you could., monkee.:D
Talk is cheap!:D:mad:

Top Bottom