• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

beej

Steve Morse.

I was late to the game- bought Southern Steel after reading about him in a guitar mag and then dove into his catalog. I didn't know about Music Man, but his sig model was just iconic to me- sufficiently complicated, but looked like a faded pair of jeans. The guitar I'd always wanted but didn't know about.

On a whim one day I found one used SM on eBay and bought it sight unseen. Still my main guitar today.

After that, I was hooked ... Silhouette Special, Albert Lee, Axis, Luke, Bongo ... on it still goes.

Last edited:

kbaim

First-JayDawg incredible post #57
So good to hear those kind of stories

I was in a GC looking at Line6 amps in 2002 (El toro store now lake forest, ca).
There was a purple Luke in a stand next to the amp.
Grabbed it, plugged in and never sounded so good.
(Then i tuned up!)
Bought the amp right then.
Came back and played Purple Luke a few more times and just fell in love.
Hadn't bought or really needed a new guitar in 21 years.
The salesman told me i could order one in other colors.
Saw that it came in a color called BLUE DAWN that floored me, so i ordered one.
Then before the blue dawn arrived i went back and bought the Purple one too
Still have both

I was playing a Ibanez Studio 50 since given to a friend back in 2006

Last edited:

bischero

I opened guitar player magazine and the first page is EVH with a red musicman, and my heart dropped. Because I had a Kramer Barretta and i thought it was what he stood for. Basic one pickup stuff. Then I looked at how beautiful that thing was and I saved every dime I had to get one. No internet. I just got a phone book and called every music store on the east coast. I got one - a Sunburst - I photo copied that ad and put it all over my house so I could get a 40 minute ride to New Jersey guitar and bass center. Begged my parents. I had the money. I washed dishes. So at 13 I buy the most incredible instrument. And I adored it and it made me want to learn and play. I sold it, I'm still looking for it. Serial # 80850. Absolutely changed my life. I love the company, what they stand for, the innovation, but also the tradition.

JamieCrain

JP using his brand new JP6 Mystic Dream to do the acoustic intro to Scenes from a Memory, live in London in 2000. He was still using his Picasso Ibanez JPM for the 7 string parts, but the JP6 for everything else.

savannah_sean

Steve Morse. He had been my favorite musician for many years, and when I was finally making enough $$ for a NGD, I decided on a Morse model in vintage sunburst. As it turns out, my order date happened to be on Steve’s birthday...so I like to think of it as me buying a birthday present...except that it was for me! This began my ascent into EBMM heaven, and when I finally got a JP6, I feel like I found the guitar that just fit me perfectly...except of course now the majesty fits me even better!

Last edited:

LloydChristmas

Watching a Toto concert on tv. I ended up going down a wormhole on the internet and ended up buying one. I am just astounded of the quality of these instruments compared to what I used to play. The Steve Morse BFR I recently purchased is a work of art.

random

Played an Axis years ago and was impressed. Have since improved my playing and my collection ��. My wife saw a review of the Valentine in Guitar Player and said “I like this one better than that other one you were looking at (John Page AJ Special.). Had one at the local GC so I took a leap...

Two months later I’m hooked and looking at BFRs..find a Claro walnut Luke III and pull the trigger...

EBMM guitars are some of the finest guitars I’ve played, and that’s comparing to my Anderson and Collings electrics. Great guitars with very cool features that work in the real world..head and shoulders above Fender and Gibson electrics in a comparable price range.

Twang Banger

I do not exactly remember! But about 4 years ago, completely stumped on how to keep a Strat in tune (I play 11s and none of my Strats would stay in tune despite professional set up work), I think I was reading about the AL model, then watched a few YouTube videos, and really just said to myself eff it all and I bought one off Reverb or EBay without ever having played or heard one. Soon thereafter, I bought another (one SSS, the other HH).

Since then, my Strat collection has gone from 8 to 3, and my MM AL collection is presently at 4! Although, I do have a Valentine on order and the AL collection might shrink to 3 as a result ;-/

Buying the first AL, on a lark, was one of the best chances I have ever taken. Seriously.

Last edited:

JSteph

I saw Dream Theater for the first time on their Images and Words anniversary tour in 2017. I thought that the guitar John Petrucci was playing was unique and beautiful.
I looked into the Petrucci line of instruments and found that they were out of my reach in cost, but just last month I found a used Sterling in purple at a price I could afford (my favorite color) and now it's mine. I love it, and I love the new EB Cobalt strings that I bought to replace the ones it came with after one broke.

LordRiffenstein

I saw Dream Theater for the first time on their Images and Words anniversary tour in 2017. I thought that the guitar John Petrucci was playing was unique and beautiful.
I looked into the Petrucci line of instruments and found that they were out of my reach in cost, but just last month I found a used Sterling in purple at a price I could afford (my favorite color) and now it's mine. I love it, and I love the new EB Cobalt strings that I bought to replace the ones it came with after one broke.

JP got me into them as well. I was looking for a high end shred type guitar and they weren't even on my radar until I saw Sweetwater had 4 year financing. Saw the reviews and thought sure why not. Now 75% of my guitars are EBMM.

spychocyco

Haha. How things can change in 11 years. I hate those sparkly silver guitars. :D

20170216_154510-1_resized.jpg

The salesman pointed me toward an Axis Sport that also had a good price on it. I loved the neck, but it was a hardtail with MM90s and was a silver sparkle color that was a bit gaudy for my tastes (sorry sparkle fans), so I passed. Took me another four years to finally get my hands on an Axis.

dnr666

Mid to late 80's I was in Allens Music in Norwich UK and saw a red Silhouette. I picked it up and loved how it played.I did not like the Dimarzios and soon changed them.it now has House of Tone Tru PAFs and I still love it. No other guitar I have had sounds like it. It was the first of Five Silhouettes.

Wahoonc

Kept hearing about the Axis neck: unfinished, asymmetrical, magical. Bought an open box unseen and when it arrived was totally disappointed. Whoever had originally returned the guitar had screwed the Floyd up and it was in no condition to be played. For that much money and not knowing who had done what to it, I took pictures and shipped it back. However, I was a fan of the unfinished neck, which I had not experienced before, and the craftsmanship seemed excellent. Couldn’t spring for a new Axis, so my first MM was a Silo HSH. Gateway drug. Ultimately, years later I settled on the Axis neck as the one that’s right for me. Have the three and a GC.

Awhitlock

What seems like many years ago ... I saw a VHS video of EVH live (the Right here Right now tour). I was completely drooling over his guitar but couldnt see the brand on the headstock and studied the footage with the pause button, until I could find it (in the days before internet).

I could never find one in the shops but found magazine pictures and made a poster with them.

danny-79

I don’t own a EBMM guitar but basses on the other hand....

I was working in a music shop part time after just leaving school in 95. I’d got a few guitars and basses at that point, nothing fancy (apart from a 7ender MIJ that I’ve still got). I was playing bass at the time in a rock/grunge cover band with friends nothing too serious, the bass I had at the time I was quite happy with (Aria pro II, pointy headstock) when I came into the shop one morning and one of the other lads who works there was just cutting open the box on a brand new EBMM Stingray. Sunburst, rosewood, 2 band and my jaw just hit the floor after seeing it and a life long obsession followed after playing it.
Over the years there isn’t much I haven’t tried one way or the other, always using the StingRay as the rod to measure everything against. Not been able to find anything for me that even remotely comes close to it.
I’ve got a couple of none EBMM’s but can’t say I take them as seriously. Or really ever see me wanting to play anything else

Top Bottom