• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

noxon

Hi.

I'm the creator of the "day on the tour" video, and I'm glad it was of help to you. That was why I created it in the first place because I saw people having some odd expectations of what the meet and greet could be. Especially the "no handshake" rule can throw people off a bit, but germs and stuff is in abundance on tour ;)

I had my sig on my backplate, but I forgot to cure it with something so it'd set, so I've already rubbed it off. Oh well. Next time I meet JP, I guess ;)

Nik_Left_RG

Question

Hi.

I'm the creator of the "day on the tour" video, and I'm glad it was of help to you. That was why I created it in the first place because I saw people having some odd expectations of what the meet and greet could be. Especially the "no handshake" rule can throw people off a bit, but germs and stuff is in abundance on tour ;)

I had my sig on my backplate, but I forgot to cure it with something so it'd set, so I've already rubbed it off. Oh well. Next time I meet JP, I guess ;)

Hey, got my JP6 back plate signed by DT and I am wondering if you had any ideas on how to make it permanent ? Appreciate the help..

noxon

Hey, got my JP6 back plate signed by DT and I am wondering if you had any ideas on how to make it permanent ? Appreciate the help..

Either get a clear spray paint and coat the entire backplate with it - or get some film to cover it up. Both will work fine.

kestrou

Either get a clear spray paint and coat the entire backplate with it - or get some film to cover it up. Both will work fine.

Most importantly, get another back plate so the signed one can sit on a shelf.

But, even sitting there, Sharpie permanent marker fades over time...

Kevin

fjk1138

Well, I went to see DT last night....all I can say is WOW! Detailed impressions are below.

The Show
The show itself was phenomenal. I’ve never seen DT play so well. No joke: I didn’t see or hear one mistake, no bum notes, nothing. The band was really animated and totally into it. During the first song, James LeBrie came over to my side of the stage and, while performing, put his hand on the shoulder of the security guy standing there, who rolled his eyes and everyone laughed like crazy. There were a lot of other small humorous moments throughout the show, but too many to list. The Chicago crowd sang along with almost all the lyrics to every song and just went nuts (in a good way). It was the most energetic crowd experience I have seen in a long time. Photos without flash were allowed, but no video filming was allowed at all and anyone holding a phone up for more than a few seconds was told to knock it off. People were getting busted for filming like crazy.

Aside from the bozo in front of me who was overtly “air guitaring“ through the whole show (and visibly upsetting his girlfriend, who finally made them leave towards the end – she was clearly not a DT fan anyway), everyone else that I talked to was totally cool and I had some really good conversations with people before, during, and after the show. There were two sets: Set one consisted of misc DT songs, followed by a 10-15 min break, and set two was Images and Words played in its entirety, in order. They played I&W tuned down to Eb, so it was heavier, meaner, and far more evolved – they played note for note, but snuck in some surprises: Changing meters, adding dramatic pauses, and JP even played part of “Glasgow Kiss” during one of his solos.

The stage was very sparse, but highly effective relying on some great colored lighting effects against a simple backdrop. While the background did not look fancy before the show, it was apparently a highly reflective material and when the lights hit it just right it was amazing to see in person. My photos do not do it justice.

Tech/Gear Notes:
On the technical side, any John Petrucci fan could easily look off to stage left (audience right) and see his usual rack of gear there all lit up and ready to rock. His tech Maddi was there keeping everything running and he was a busy man. John Myung’s usual couch surrounded by the road cases could be seen way off on the opposite side. I sat (stood actually, for 3 hours) about 15-20’ from the stage on JP’s side and I could literally read his signature on the headstock of all his models. I could see every note he played, and even recognized some of the scales he was playing. Pre show, I went up to the stage and snapped some shots (see below). I could have easily reached out and touched his pedal board, but I never mess with anyone’s equipment and thankfully no one else did either.

JP played several Majesty models (6 and 7 string, in black, red, purple, and a metallic sparkly pink/purple), the JP15 in teal quilt, and also the JP16 with the Floyd Rose, which was used entirely for the Images and Words portion of the set. He did not use any previous models at all. His usual “fake” Mesa cabinets were behind him and his signature Mesa heads were atop, all lit up and ready.

Meet & Greet:
The meet and greet was extremely quick, but highly exciting! We were told to be there by 5 pm, but I got there at 4 and I could see the merchandise people setting up the merch for sale thru the doors. Once time came, they wanded us each individually and checked any bags, then we went immediately to a lady at the table who checked IDs to verify us. And then they gave us a bag with some swag: A DT bag, a DT poster, a DT USB charger, and a DT laminate pass. Yes!

We were then put in line and were given the rules as shown in the video linked above: no handshakes, limit of two items to sign, etc. Right around this time, there were two security people who came thru with a pair of black and yellow labradors to check out the area before DT came out. The cute gal taking photos then took a couple shots of people’s DT tattoos…and then in a really surreal way, DT magically appeared before us in front of the Images and Words backdrop.

Their road manager held each of our bags while we took the photos. As I walked up to the band, I said “Gentlemen! How are we doing this evening?”. JP and Mike Mangini both said “Hello” and “Great thanks”…and within mere seconds my ugly likeness was recorded forever with my favorite metal group. Then it was off to another line for the signing, where I got my swag bag back.

I got extremely nervous but excited as my turn came closer and closer to have my stuff signed. Before I say anything else, let’s be clear here that I never expected to hold a full on conversation with any of the guys. I am a very gracious and highly respectful fan, and I consider situations like these to be short but blessed moments. And it got even more surreal.

First stop: Mike Mangini.

MM: (looks me right in the eye) “Hi, how are you tonight?”
Me: “Great, thank you, how are you?”
MM: “Great also, thanks”.
Me: “I loved your solo during Enigma Machine, where you played the melody on those pads…”
MM: “Thanks! I’ll do it again. I…”
(James LeBrie interrupts): “I thought I was doing the drum solo tonight?”

We all laugh. Mike continues talking to me, but his words immediately get drowned out by the increasing overall noise and the fact that I felt like I was being moved along (by whom or what, I am not sure exactly…we’ll call it a “magical force” from here on out). I go to talk to James LeBrie, but he has already signed my stuff and started someone else’s, so I float over to John Petrucci, my metal guitar hero and master.

Me: “Hi John, it’s great to see you”.
JP: (looking down and signing) “Thank you”.
Me: “Can I ask you a question about 'Nightmare'?"
JP: (still looking down and signing) “You mean ‘Nightmare to Remember’? Sure, go ahead.”
Me: “Thanks. During the second solo, when you start by bending that note up from Bb to C…”
JP: (completely stops signing and slowly looks up at me, square in the eye, with a smile… we were suddenly speaking our own language, as if in our own world, two musicians conversing…)
Me: “…and you play that really cool riff that has a sort of a Middle Eastern sound to it. What scale is that taken from?”
JP: (sits up, eyes get real big, looks off to his left…totally silent) “…you know…I have no idea, I would have to look it up!”

We both laugh…and I take a very small sense of pride in that I, yes me, boring old me, Mr. Nobody

I STUMPED JOHN PETRUCCI!

HA!!!

I float over to Jordan Rudess…who has already signed my stuff and was still talking to someone else. I wanted to tell him a quick story about taking keyboard lessons as a child to see his reaction, but that magic force was already pushing me over to John Myung, who is quite the enigma in person. I really admire JM because he has a certain way about him: he’s totally focused on everything he does, has zero ego, and I just love the way he operates. His signing of my stuff was no different: he took extra special care to slowly write his name in such a way, stopped and looked at it to make sure it was just right, and then hand my stuff up to me with both hands and a smile.

Me: “Thank you John, and thank you all for doing all of this this for us.”
JM: “Thank you for that, and you are very welcome.”
(we both sort of do multiple slight bows to each other)

….and the meet and greet ended.

It was totally surreal…
It was very exciting…
It was totally worth it...
They didn't play Enigma Machine, but I'll forgive them...
I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks to DT and all associated for a great evening!

IMG_20171103_190822656.jpg
IMG_20171103_200330737.jpg
IMG_20171103_205533523.jpg
DT FK Stumps JP.jpg
FK John Myung.jpg

Last edited:

fjk1138

Thanks! I had them sign the poster that was in the swag bag and also the Octavarium tab book (see pic with John Myung, both are on the table). The fact that they signed that book has extra meaning for me: Panic Attack is on that album, and Nov 3rd marks the 6th yr anniversary since I had my last one.

Looking at the book now, post show, I realize JP didn't sign it...probably because I threw him off by asking my question. I think that deserves another shot in line! ;-)

Last edited:

BJ Price

Oh man I went to the Peoria show and it was truly amazing. There were a ton of people from the Chicago area and St Louis area due to not wanting to mess with the Chicago craziness. It was the first time Dream Theater has ever been to Peoria. I was right in the front row.....almost center stage. I did the meet and greet and it was amazing. It was on my bucket list to meet them and it did not disappoint. The group picture was smooth and the signing was fun. I got to chat with each member for a little bit. I had JP sign my JP7 Mystic Dream Backplate, MM sign my students drumstick, JR sign my copy of Keyboard Wizardry and they all signed a banner I have of A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Just an amazing experience. 20171104_195100.jpg IMG_7304-X3.jpg

fjk1138

I had JP sign my JP7 Mystic Dream Backplate, MM sign my students drumstick, JR sign my copy of Keyboard Wizardry and they all signed a banner I have of A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Just an amazing experience.

Wow that's cool that they signed all of that. We we're told more than once two items total was the limit. Maybe due venue/city size?

BJ Price

Wow that's cool that they signed all of that. We we're told more than once two items total was the limit. Maybe due venue/city size?

Yes they told us only 2 all together but I had the stick and backplate in my pocket so I just whipped those out hoping that would work when I came to John and Jordan and they signed those too VICTORY!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom