• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jamminjim

Totally sucks, man. There are those hydro wires north of Finch, they're likely a big contributor. (I used to live north of Steeles.)

I know it sounds nuts ... but any chance you can shield a small room? Cover the walls with foil, etc?

I'm mid-town ... there's some noise in my house and the odd bar I play at, but it's never been that bad for me.

Or maybe try to find some conductive paint and paint your music room with it.

Is it possible to post a recording of the interference?

Last edited:

Slingy

I don't think it's even healthy to live near a cell tower, they generate massive electromagnetic fields that can have effect on your brain, or even cause cancer. Possible conspiracy theory here but that stuff worries me.

Anyways good luck, the noise still has to get in somehow, wireless connections or guitar pickups. Before going to drastic expensive measures I would try an aftermarket noise gate hopefully one that wont suck tone ala Dimebag Daryll. The Pod one does suck tone for lead work at extreme settings yep.

frankiman

thanks for the sympathy guys, this is a sample of the noise
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=MVNmQ1ZndWNVVG5IRGc9PQ

someone mentioned the laptop again, and it is not that either, on or off, is the same... i just mentioned the laptop connected to an interface to show my point that even using batteries on the laptop the noise is still there. Having it plugged the noise doesn;t change at all

If I use any of my 2 amps, the noise is there

If I use the pod x3 live with headphones only, the noise is there

it is something in the area, as the friend from Nova Scotia mentioned, i will need to move... go figure when that is going to happen

dude, I got divorced already, been through hell, recording my album kept me sane, I saved money, been working my ass off, been all the nicest person, friend, son and brother I can be. The Toronto condo market all of the sudden went crazy, prices started to go up so I decided to make a move.

Found what seems to be the perfect place, I competed against 17 other offers and got the damn condo in the end. First week I moved in painting, cleaning, making it MY home, and then... i connected the guitar.... i mean, why? you know? the only reason i get up to go to work is to have money so I can eat and return home to play, compose, record

i am sorry if i sound melodramatic, but hell, that's how I feel right now

you are right to say that there is no other option but to adapt, i hear you, I will try

see you guys

Last edited:

bkrumme

someone mentioned the laptop again, and it is not that either, on or off, is the same... i just mentioned the laptop connected to an interface to show my point that even using batteries on the laptop the noise is still there. Having it plugged the noise doesn;t change at all

Cool. I was just asking in attempts to narrow down the source of the noise...i.e. what piece of equipment is picking it up. Since it doesn't change, it's not the laptop.

It truly sucks that you've got RFI going on. You could try one of these for a noise gate:

Decimator ProRack G

jamminjim

Well, that is certainly a lot of humm there. I'm thinking it's 120 hz appx. Suggest that maybe you can find a professional electrician in the area to confer with and demonstrate the problem to. There absolutely has to be a source for the noise. Is there a military base nearby? A factory? An industrial complex or building? Is there a radar station, an airport? Also, you haven't commented on the neighbors. Is this condo part of a condo complex, with many units in one large building? It's possible that there is a neighbor that is propogating the interference somehow. I would start investigating. Start asking people that live around there if they have the same problem or experience. Call the municipality and lodge a complaint. Is the noise getting into your TV or Radio?
Try your guitar straight into an amp. Borrow and amp from a friend to do the test. I'm sure there is an answer, it's just overlooked right now.

frankiman

Well, that is certainly a lot of humm there. I'm thinking it's 120 hz appx. Suggest that maybe you can find a professional electrician in the area to confer with and demonstrate the problem to. There absolutely has to be a source for the noise. Is there a military base nearby? A factory? An industrial complex or building? Is there a radar station, an airport? Also, you haven't commented on the neighbors. Is this condo part of a condo complex, with many units in one large building? It's possible that there is a neighbor that is propogating the interference somehow. I would start investigating. Start asking people that live around there if they have the same problem or experience. Call the municipality and lodge a complaint. Is the noise getting into your TV or Radio?
Try your guitar straight into an amp. Borrow and amp from a friend to do the test. I'm sure there is an answer, it's just overlooked right now.

hi there. there is no military base or airport, there are power lines right in front of my with transformers, there is a BELL building right beside me, it is not an office building, I think it might be cable or phone technical building, it has a huge pole standing tall and connecting to the power lines of the neightbourhood

the condo is a single building, several units per floor. It would be like finding a niddle in a hay stack, literally. I asked the building admin, no one has reported any complaints.

The noise does not get into my tv, radio, computers, monitors

I have two amps, i have tried them, it is all the same, the problem is outside on the streets, coming into my pickups.

The only way to lower the noise is to sit oddly in an angle helping the pickups lower the noise, and reducing the distortion, increasing the gate, of course, my tone suffers not to mention my back

azazael

Don't want to hijack you're thread or anything but...

It took me a long time to figure out there is a dimmer switch in the kitchen below my room that interferes with all my gear. It goes away when it is off.

Get into a big family argument over it usually when I turn it off and leave everyone in the dark with a lamp lol

I have thought about changing it but my dad is adamant that the dimmer saves light bulbs. I just dont know if swapping it would solve the problem, have other dimmers in my home that do not affect my gear at all.

Not sure if the problem is the dimmer or something else.

Slingy

I think he plays JP's only. I remember his videos from the Line6 forum. Either way though, that stinks, that hum is loud! The only completely humless guitar in existence is the Variax. (They don't model the hum) I imagine there is no hum when using the piezo.

jamminjim

Francisco - was just throwing out some ideas for you. The only time I've ever heard that hum is when I was playing a strat down at a music shop under some flourescents. Coming through a guitar that is.

You've definitely got an EMI problem. Is it ELF or RF though?

agt

Your humming has a fundamental of approximately 180.06Hz for what it's worth. See the screenshot.

You may be able to EQ this frequency out from your recordings if you have a very surgical EQ plugin (e.g. Waves Q10 -- you can use several EQs in sequence (serial) with a high Q to achieve a sufficiently deep notch).

Have you tried disengaging the fuses to your unit and using your laptop from the battery to see if some appliance/light/dimmer in your unit is contributing?

Have you tried to take your laptop or PODXt and guitars to a neighbor's unit to determine if it is specific to your unit? You mentioned the hallway, so maybe you have ruled this out and your entire building is vulnerable.

Have you tried to take your laptop w/battery or PODXt plus guitars to a neighboring building or business down the street? Heck, since it is a portable rig, you could take your laptop w/battery plus guitar to successive street corners, block by block, to see at what point the humming diminishes and by how much. ( I realize it is December and you are in Toronto, but scientific experimentation knows no such limitations!)

Have you posted your issue on other audio/recording forums (e.g. Gearslutz)? Somebody, somewhere, who has experience in this area might be able to advise you further.

Wishing you the best in solving this issue!

Last edited:

frankiman

thanks guys, thanks agt, i will try other forums , i am not familiar with gearslutz but I will get in there

although I have pretty much accepted the fact that i cannot avoid the interference

to the fellow member who asked about the emg;s... no I dont have a guitar with emg's, i borrowed one though and the problem persists. I have two jp's and 6 other guitars (gibsons, ibanez, ltd) all have the same problem, thank god i am not a user of strats, i imagine it would be much worse

thanks for reading and putting your thoughts on this thread, god bless

Top Bottom