• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GregP

Update:

So I dropped the hammer on some Hipshot Ultra light tuners. The strap I'm using mitigates the neck dive to some degree but my goal is to get a better overall balance. In my occupation, I type all day so it's more of a necessity for me than a preference. I don't want to risk putting anymore strain on my wrist. So I will let you all know how it turns out. Should be getting the tuners in 2 weeks or so :)

Best Regards,
-Greg P

P.S. AT 57 grams each I think the HB6 Hipshot Ultralight tuners should do the job. :)
HB6 - 1/2" Ultralite™ Bass Tuning Machine – Hipshot Products

Last edited:

five7

I put those tuners on my sterling 5 and my bongo 5, helped tremendously. Hope they help on yours. Really enjoy your reviews.

Edmang

Would the light weight tuners on the later Bongo or Big Al work on the Caprice?

GregP

Would the light weight tuners on the later Bongo or Big Al work on the Caprice?

I'm not sure. I didn't know there were musicman basses that used light weight tuners. But now that I've started to modify it I can't help but wonder if the mute Bridge from the Sterling classic would work? :) that's the only thing the Caprice is missing is that awesome mute bridge :)

GregP

I put those tuners on my sterling 5 and my bongo 5, helped tremendously. Hope they help on yours. Really enjoy your reviews.

Thank you for your kind words. I truly enjoy writing...especially about an instrument i've bonded so strongly with. I must say, my spirits have been lifted after I did the weight saving calculation. Schaller's website lists the Standard BM tuners at .98G. So we take 98G x 4= 392G. Hipshot's website lists the HB6C's weight at 57 grams x 4= 228G. The difference in weight comes to 164 grams which converts to 5.78 ounces(.361lbs). Viewed from another perspective the Hipshot HBC6's are 58% lighter than the Schaller Standard BM tuners. This brings the total weight of my bass down from 8.3lbs to ~8lbs! That'll do hipshot...that'll do :)

Something that I just can't get over w/the caprice is the 7.5" radius. It's so effortless for my hand to glide along side to side on that generous curve. I wonder why it's not more widely used today? Maybe it's uncomfortable for people with large hands? I don't know but it has now become my preferred radius. So much so that I sent my G&L JB back to the factory to get a fretless neck(I don't need 2 fretted basses, after all :p) and opted for the 7.5" radius. I never would have known about the fluidity of playing a 1.5'' width w/a 7.5" radius if it hadn't been for the Caprice. So cheers all around :)

Last edited:

GregP

Brushed Silver Pickguard from Pickguardplanet.com

I have to say this is an beautiful upgrade. I think if they came like this from the factory they'd sure catch a lot of eyes in the stores. The contrast between brushed silver and black is superb. And if I may say so...FABULOUS!
36677926132_1b962d4a06_k.jpg

36848449445_6dce93640a_k.jpg

36848656655_b9ccb3c784_k.jpg

Last edited:

GregP

I'm dropping my bass off to get the tuners installed tomorrow. I will be sure to let you all know the results when I get her back. I think this should be all I need to make my bass perfect... You know since I can't send her back to EBMM to have her repainted in pink sparkle :p

GregP

So I did a thing....

Aguilar OBP-3 Preamps - Best Bass Gear
My bass is going to be in the shop a little longer than I originally anticipated. I just ordered the prewired Aguilar OBP-3 with the concentric knobs and active/passive switching. I was really impressed with everything I've heard from this preamp and besides the 9v will provide a little more ballast :p

I know, I know i've said I'm a passive guy at heart but what can I say a guy's gotta have options ;) So you can feel free to begin chanting now "One of us...One of us...One of us" :D:D:D

GregP

My shop called me today and let me know there isn't enough room in the cavity for the preamp and they would have to start drilling wood and there could be grounding issues. So I just said "Thank you but we can just button it up and I will sell the preamp". When I get my bass back i will be sure to let you know how those light weight tuners work out. :)

-Greg P

GregP

Just got my Caprice back w/the hipshot light weight tuners. All I have to say is Aaaaaaaaaamazing!!!!!
It's perfectly balanced. I can just let my hand off the neck when i'm sitting down and it just balances perfectly. Now I've made my bass completely mine. Thanks everyone for such great input on my thread. :)

GregP

Pics :)

37552306561_cd29e427c1_k.jpg

37492165286_40eab5b808_k.jpg

36870708303_7ae8d6a066_k.jpg

Strung with Cobalt Flats 40-95...Best String Ever :)
For years we've been hearing from manufacturers "The Flat that retains the brightness of a round". Most have been utter let downs but I'm pleased to announce the Cobalt Flats truly deliver. :D:D:D

Last edited:

kn38ms

Strung with Cobalt Flats 40-95...Best String Ever :)
For years we've been hearing from manufacturers "The Flat that retains the brightness of a round". Most have been utter let downs but I'm pleased to announce the Cobalt Flats truly deliver. :D:D:D

I concur, Cobalt Flats are amazing. Plenty of zing if you want it.

They are only strings I use now, going on almost 2 years.

5 star rating ...:)

Holdsg

looks like the hipshot ultralight one "anchor" screw hole will be covered if you ever need to install back the original tuners. nice.

Top Bottom