• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Vikunt

Hey guys im a guitar teacher who has just bought a SUB 1. i know how to use its locking tuners but one of my students has just bought an OLP. would it have locking tuners? if so how would he use them?

MikeVt

The OLP guitars were not made by EBMM - so I don't know if you'll get many answers here. I don't believe the OLP licensed models had locking tuners though.

Welcome aboard though, and welcome to the Sub 1 owners club. Those of us that have them, love them.

Mike

Vikunt

Thanks bro yeah im definetly in love with my sub 1. yep i should have realised that the OLP stands for officially LICENCED products and therefor would not be made by EBMM:eek:. any idea who makes them?

zombi

They're asian made but are discontinued. I forgot the parent company's name, but they make other guitar brands too. Ernie Ball is now releasing its own subsidiary called "Sterling by Musicman" and thus far, look pretty impressive. There is another thread discussing it.

TNT

No locking tuners on any previous OLP's. The company was (I believe) Hansen Music.

It is my understanding that the new company making them (now called Sterling), is the Park Family. I don't think any new guitar model has locking tuners (not sure though).

jamminjim

Welcome Vikunt - congrats on getting a great Sub 1 guitar. I have three of them and love them. Very versatile. If you rout out a single coil pickup cavity in the middle of the body you can then install any Silhouette Special pickguard you want on your Sub 1. Or even make a custom HSH guard for it. Look in my pics. You could also join the SOC (Sub Owners Club) .

No locking tuners on any previous OLP's. The company was (I believe) Hansen Music.

It is my understanding that the new company making them (now called Sterling), is the Park Family. I don't think any new guitar model has locking tuners (not sure though).

TNT -I don't understand the statement above "new company making them"?? Huh??
The new guitar being made, Sterling by Music Man, has nothing to do with OLP, AFAIK. Additionally, all the new Sterling by Music Man guitars have nice locking tuners.
Sterling by MUSIC MAN - GUITARS

OLP was owned by Hanser Music group, and their OLP guitars were poop. :p I held and played a Chinese $trat once that exuded more sheer quality than OLP. Sorry to say. I found OLP tuners to be very poor quality. Don't like to admit to it but I briefly owned an OLP Benji model. Firewood.
Welcome to OLP Guitars

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

Hey JJ the OLP Axis that Olplayer has plays great (it should do - I set it it up ha!) and the pickups are very good - it also looks a really nice guitar.
Considering what he paid for it, it's a steal
front01.jpg

BTW are you a "Morris" fan?

jamminjim

Sir Murphy

I am a Morris. Guess I could be a fan.. :D

And regarding the OLP's, OLPlayer's proves that some folks get lucky. I will admit that one looks nice and I'll trust your assessment of it. Still, I think I'm pretty convinced in my opinion of them overall. If they were real good or even great guitars overall they would still be being made, don't ya think? Does he still have the stock tuners on it?

I got a feeling Sterlings by MM are going to Kick OLP butt.. (but I wouldn't use that phrase in a marketing scheme, :))

OLPlayer

Does he still have the stock tuners on it?

Yes I do and it was, and still is, a good guitar. It was my lead in to EBMM and was fortunate enough to be bought an ASS PBB last year by Mrs OLPlayer. Obviously a far superior guitar than the OLP but I still get that out and have a strum now and again.

Like you said, maybe I was lucky but I still maintain that it was a good find.

Top Bottom