• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Fede64

Hello. Can anyone help with the following?

Problem: Low E intonation always sharp. The neck of my Luke III HH is flat, with just a little tension relief to avoid excessive strings buzzing, and get the action I like. Strings height at 12th fret is as recommend (4/64 between top of fret and string lower edge). Bridge is at the proper angle (springs tension wise) and when the bar is pulled up toward the body, it delivers 1 1/2 steps up from the open G, as per factory specs. So the question is: Why I can’t get the low E intonation right, no matter the saddle position? It goes from massively, to slightly sharp from one end to the other of the saddle travel and, I did cut the small spring in a half to give it more room… not enough.
I use Elixir 09 Optiweb sets, they are new, well stretched and get back mostly in tune after a deep dive. The strings in the locking tuners do not even make a full wound, to avoid tuning issues. I have this low E issue with the factory saddle, but I have mounted graphtech, resulting in the same problem. I’m now waiting for EBMM solid steel saddles in a day or so, but at this point I’m doubtful the problem is the saddle…

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum! And welcome to low E strings.

Honestly, I think it's just what a lot of them do. It's not specific to string or guitar manufacturers but it's a lot more common than people recognize. I have chased this issue for decades, literally. My strat I played over 1000 gigs on did this with no solution. My Silhouette Special does this. The low E string in modern low tension sets needs the greatest amount of compensation and that makes it prone to running out of adjustment room. Why do so many strat style guitar bridges not have enough adjustment room? I suspect Leo Fender and friends designed the strat bridge for 12-56 gauge round core strings and everyone else uses the same basic dimensions ever since, even though string gauges and tensions and construction have changed dramatically since. Did this ever once cause problems or complaint from any other musicians or engineers or producers I ever worked with? No. Did they complain about tuning in general? Yes! But they complained about violin player's intonation far more often so we're still ahead overall. Just crank that saddle back as far as it will go and get on with playing.

This is the short version of my answer, if you really want the longer version, let me know. As tthe other forum members can attest, I have always have a long answer. :ROFLMAO:

Fede64

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to low E strings.

Honestly, I think it's just what a lot of them do. It's not specific to string or guitar manufacturers but it's a lot more common than people recognize. I have chased this issue for decades, literally. My strat I played over 1000 gigs on did this with no solution. My Silhouette Special does this. The low E string in modern low tension sets needs the greatest amount of compensation and that makes it prone to running out of adjustment room. Why do so many strat style guitar bridges not have enough adjustment room? I suspect Leo Fender and friends designed the strat bridge for 12-56 gauge round core strings and everyone else uses the same basic dimensions ever since, even though string gauges and tensions and construction have changed dramatically since. Did this ever once cause problems or complaint from any other musicians or engineers or producers I ever worked with? No. Did they complain about tuning in general? Yes! But they complained about violin player's intonation far more often so we're still ahead overall. Just crank that saddle back as far as it will go and get on with playing.

This is the short version of my answer, if you really want the longer version, let me know. As tthe other forum members can attest, I have always have a long answer. :ROFLMAO:
Thank you. I feel a little less dummy now 😂
I could try to mount a 10 set and readjust bridge tension and everything else, no problem, but they specify 09 for this beast!
My concern with 10 is that the bend / hammer on is already slightly off pitch (bending lifting up the bridge) and with 10s I’d have to bend even more. At the same time, I love that tremolo and floating bridge.
So… if you have time, yes please; very much appreciated, you can go ahead with the long story 😂

Top Bottom