• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tomas

Hi guys, greetings from Argentina!
I'm about to own a Luke 1 Prototype from 93' and i've been looking in this forum and others information about this guitar, but i didn't find any concrete information of this guitar.
My matter is that it has Seymour Duncan pickups as you can see in the picture, and i've never seen those in this serie. You guy know if this model had originally those pickup's?, or maybe the previous owner switched the classic EMG's.
Also if any has an extra information about this guitar, i would love to read it.
79530377_3691041214254482_366390272608698368_n.jpg
78894197_604305193712784_6238281830974357504_n.jpg
83335308_808198259682991_855205731836624896_n.jpg
Many thanks in advance.

Mick

Tomas? have you been to my shop in germany? Is it you?
I think the best way would be sending the serial number to the customer service.
Mick

dibart77

I see no reason to believe this is a "prototype". This looks like a stock Luke 1 whose pickups were swapped from EMGs to passives. I have a Luke with the same thing. It's a 1 hour job to swap the pickups. No big deal. If you look, the route for the humbucker has square slots for the mounting tabs, which is the route EBMM did for EMGs. If someone is trying to convince you that having different pickups in a 27-year-old guitar proves it's a prototype or pre-production, someone is trying to take advantage of you.

The easiest way is to enter the serial number at the EBMM Serial Number Database lookup tool and it'll give you the date of manufacture, etc. If it doesn't show up in the DB lookup, THEN reach out to customer service.

kimonostereo

While I think Luke did try out passive pickups, that was for the Luke II. I don't think passives were even considered for the Luke I. Luke was playing his Valley Arts "robot/android" with EMGs prior to EBMM.

Every now and then, I still think about owning or building a replica of his original VA sunburst…

tbonesullivan

I would also like to note that OEM Seymour Duncan pickups, like Dimarzios, are almost always unmarked. That the bridge pickup reads "Seymour Duncan" says to me that it's an aftermarket retail pickup. Looking inside of the wiring compartment should tell you all you need to know.

Dcareaga

That looks like a Luke 1 and someone swapped the pickups.
Lukather DID try Duncans, I believe, in the original Luke prototype as well as a maple fretboard and 24 frets.
See Below!

He went back to EMGs SA-57/SA-57/85 in the Luke 1 then to SLV/SLV/85 in the Luke II.

IMG_4449.jpeg
IMG_4385.jpeg

Last edited:

Dcareaga

I think that's a Silhouette.

Yep, They started with that body shape, that picture is from a history of Lukathers gear through the years in Vintage Guitar Magazine in 2008, theres another picture that was in a thread here, from an open house at EBMM, that guitar hanging next to a JP proto with EMGs.

Everyone in that thread thought it was a Silo as well until Pete Dubaldo, who had the picture, clarified it was a the Luke Proto. Sadly the picture is gone.

Thread: http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/7170-couple-luke-questions.html
I am on there as well sounding like even more of a know-it-all than I do here... lol

They ditched the pickguard and tone knob from the silo and note the "V" route for the wiring tabs on the singles and no name on the headstock, Silo or Luke.

The version in is hands in the other picture is after they contoured the body and if I remember correctly the "V" routes were gone.
That picture was in Guitar World in spring 1993, in the actual issue you could see it much more clearly and he spoke about how he was using the prototype from that picture for his new Signature guitar with EBMM and they were still trying out pickups.

Last edited:

Dcareaga

Interesting that there is no battery compartment, if it was meant to have EMGs. Maybe it is a prototype.

The first run of very early Luke 1s didn't have a dedicated battery compartment. I believe that was introduced in the second run/ first year but I could be wrong about the timing.
I remember playing the first two that Nadines music in Hollywood had and it was just the two back plates.
It also has the older Floyd Rose with the collar around the bar so its pre Pop-in bar.... thats what? 1995 or earlier? Not sure when that was changed. But it was on the Luke in 96-97.

1994 Luke no battery compartment:
NEW Photos Music Man Luke 1 Signed 1994 Candy Blue | | Reverb

there are a few out there.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My thoughts (and please do correct me if I'm wrong)...

1) I don't recall many non-JP prototypes that had all the final production headstock logos.
2) Guitars that have the battery box have a smaller back plate and cavity routing. The cavity backplate is larger to accommodate the battery that was originally installed.

Odds are this is not a prototype. Without offical word from Music Man themselves, I would say not. Did you try calling them?

Dcareaga

My thoughts (and please do correct me if I'm wrong)...

1) I don't recall many non-JP prototypes that had all the final production headstock logos.
2) Guitars that have the battery box have a smaller back plate and cavity routing. The cavity backplate is larger to accommodate the battery that was originally installed.

Odds are this is not a prototype. Without offical word from Music Man themselves, I would say not. Did you try calling them?

Yep, the bigger cavity is for the battery.
I think you are correct about the logos.
I never saw a Proto Luke 1 in either of the production colors. Only in variations of blue or purple/blue.
Doesn't mean they didn't make them, I have just never seen one.
The Luke 1 was my main guitar and favorite guitar from 1994 to 2010.
IN all that time, countless hours finding every piece of information I could
from every source I could access I never saw a Red proto.
t would be super cool if this is an actual proto but I agree that odds are it isn't.

Top Bottom