• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CipherHost

Thanks! I think it looks better too.

It is my understanding that it is a very thin layer of chrome on these and I didn't want to use anything that was too strong.

The first thing I tried was acetone (pH 7.0) with a Q-tip. No luck there.

Next I tried distilled white vinegar with a Q-tip (pH 2.4), which is less acidic than a lemon (pH 2.0). With a lot of rubbing I got a small area of smoke to come off. (Side note: 12 hours in a vinegar bath works great on rusty screws, nuts and bolts)

I removed the bridge cover and placed it in a distilled white vinegar bath for about an hour. That didn't really do anything.

I tried rubbing with a paper towel dipped in vinegar, but that didn't really work without a lot of pressure. My hands got tired fast, so I finally placed a cotton ball on a drill bit, soaked it in vinegar, and held the drill steady while moving the cover around applying medium pressure. Afterward, I placed the cover in an alkaline bath (baking soda in water) to neutralize any residual acid.

A Dremel with the right buffer bit would probably have been a better way to go. I will probably try that on the lower plate (without having to remove the piezo saddles) during the next string change. I'll post more pics if I do.

Cheers!

johnnyboogie

How to easily remove the plating =)

It's really easy actually!!

All you need is a 3M grit sandpaper (3000, 4000, 5000). It will remove the cosmo-black and gold plating on the Majesty and the Artisan Majesty like butter.

You can begin with the 3000, and finish off with the 4000. You can also start with 4000, and finish off with the 5000.

3M™ Trizact™ Performance Sandpaper

Etudica

I'd imagine an abrasive polish like Simichrome should do the trick just as well. Would save time not having to repeat the sanding process twice at increasingly finer grits. It's great stuff to have around if you've never used it before.

tbonesullivan

Honestly, I don't think this has anything to do with environmental regulations. Does Music Man do all of the hardware and plating in house, or do they have it sent out? Many companies have all of their plating work done by large companies that specialize in it, which can do it much more economically.

The issue here is that these coatings are not standard Chrome or Nickel, which are the standard platings used on most guitar hardware. Gold has also been used for decades, and the gold wash wearing off really quickly is something that has also been going on for decades, even on super premium guitars. Nickel also will tarnish/oxidize eventually.

These have a pretty specialized coating for primarily cosmetic effect, so it not being as durable as chrome plate or Nickel is not really surprising. It is however the color that JP wanted on the guitar.

johnnyboogie

I'd imagine an abrasive polish like Simichrome should do the trick just as well. Would save time not having to repeat the sanding process twice at increasingly finer grits. It's great stuff to have around if you've never used it before.

It's really easy actually, literally removes it as if it a was a fine layer of dust. I have no experience with the Simichrome polish but I'll definitely keep it in mind, and thanks for the reference as well =)

Huma

The string cover of my majesty actually had some sort of sharp-edged flakes sticking out of it one day. Not sure how that happened. One day I was playing on it, everything ok. Next day, I was wondering what kind of sharp-edged thing keeps poking into my palm. I pulled two flakes off the string cover. It is somewhat smooth now, but I fear more of the plating will fall off.

I already sent a message to customer support a few days ago but have yet to hear back from them.

After reading through the forum on the issues with the plating, I would prefer to get a new string cover in black or plain chrome hoping that this will last longer. Not sure if this is possible or not and what it will cost me. Hopefully CS will be able to solve this issue for me as I really like the guitar.

Last edited:

Huma

Customer service provided me with contact information to the distributor in my country. They in tun told me to contact any local dealer of my choice. The distributor asked me to tell the local dealer what the part numbers to the parts I want are.
I did communicate the part numbers and I am still waiting to hear back from the local dealer.
The good news is that apprently these string covers can be ordered.
I am very curious to learn how much it will cost.

Huma

In the meantime my local dealer got back to me. They will be charging over 65€ for a single string cover (in the color of my choice). By the way, Thomann would have charged 75€ for the same part. I have ordered 2 new string covers. I have been told that delivery will take 1-2 months.
To have a solution in the meantime, I ordered some spray paint (non-glossy black, that won't rub off etc.) for 10€ and took matters into my own hands. The result looks decent enough. Time will tell if it holds up to the rigors of everyday life ;)
If anyone is interested I can share pictures and the type and brand of the spray paint.

Top Bottom