• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Guys, I think the real reason for the switch from basswood is that basswood is generally not an aesthetically pleasing wood. It generally has green streaks in it, etc. So if you want a translucent finish, it's an ugly wood showing through.

The JP13 (with opaque Platinum Silver finish) is basswood. The JP15, which is the SAME guitar but with a trans finish, is African mahogany with a roasted maple top.

The Axis back (not top) is basswood, but on the few Axis's that had translucent backs (some BFRs, some PDNs) it has a mahogany or alder back.

I don't think ANY manufacturer does basswood with trans finishes. For example, the JEM is basswood. The few that have had trans finishes were NOT basswood (except the Burnt Stained Blue which would blend right in with the basswood).

BP, can you confirm which of these theories is correct?

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

That's my pre-dominant theory so far Jeff, I think the thread's as well. Trans-lucent finish, ergo mahogany in order to achieve uniformity.

Two things however.

Why not a 1-piece Honduran mahogany instrument (really curious about that one)? Further, JP says on the original Majesty's introductory video that the mix Basswood-Mahogany-Maple is his personal favourite, so why the change of heart so quickly (Original Majesty -> Artisan/Monarchy)?

'I don't think ANY manufacturer does basswood with trans finishes.' - This is probably Fact, and thanks for the very good input.

Lou

That's my pre-dominant theory so far Jeff, I think the thread's as well. Trans-lucent finish, ergo mahogany in order to achieve uniformity.

Two things however.

Why not a 1-piece Honduran mahogany instrument (really curious about that one)? Further, JP says on the original Majesty's introductory video that the mix Basswood-Mahogany-Maple is his personal favourite, so why the change of heart so quickly (Original Majesty -> Artisan/Monarchy)?

'I don't think ANY manufacturer does basswood with trans finishes.' - This is probably Fact, and thanks for the very good input.

You can't have a traditional neck through design and have a one piece body. There is one pice of wood that makes up the body and extends to the headstock. Body "wings" are attached either side of the center block.

And yes opaque finishes are used on basswood. Mahogany is a nice looking wood and is transparent most of the time.

agt

Any one have one of each and scales ? :p

I have a basswood Majesty and an Artisan Majesty. Both weigh 6.5 lbs. I weighed them on a high quality bathroom scale which has a digital display in .5 lb increments (me holding each minus my weight) so these weights are accurate to +/- .25 lbs.

These are just two data points, so I would be hesitant to extrapolate or generalize too much.

Soundwise, my two are different. The basswood one is warmer and creamier (as one would expect from basswood) and and the mahogany one has more attack and a tighter low end. I absolutely adore both, but I slightly prefer the sweeter sound of the basswood, for what its worth. Then again, if I had JP's chops, I might prefer the articulation of the mahogany Artisan! Again, two data points based on two wood samples. I would be hesitant to extrapolate or generalize too much, but those are my particular observations.

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

You can't have a traditional neck through design and have a one piece body. There is one pice of wood that makes up the body and extends to the headstock. Body "wings" are attached either side of the center block.

1-piece instrument (not just the body) =)

johnnyboogie

I have a basswood Majesty and an Artisan Majesty. Both weigh 6.5 lbs. I weighed them on a high quality bathroom scale which has a digital display in .5 lb increments (me holding each minus my weight) so these weights are accurate to +/- .25 lbs.

These are just two data points, so I would be hesitant to extrapolate or generalize too much.

Soundwise, my two are different. The basswood one is warmer and creamier (as one would expect from basswood) and and the mahogany one has more attack and a tighter low end. I absolutely adore both, but I slightly prefer the sweeter sound of the basswood, for what its worth. Then again, if I had JP's chops, I might prefer the articulation of the mahogany Artisan! Again, two data points based on two wood samples. I would be hesitant to extrapolate or generalize too much, but those are my particular observations.

Thanks a lot for the post Agt, so it could be argued that all three models weigh around the same. Not much of a difference between the Original Majesty and the two later mahogany-winged models.

orion_21

You would need an insanely large piece of wood to make a single piece guitar. even if the guitar is a single species, you would glue the wings to the body.

Devnor

I have a 2005 Suhr Standard with a basswood back in trans-magenta. Nothing spectacular about the wood but it's not ugly either. I would post a pic of the back but...

bhull

Hmm, interesting. Do they both have the same number of strings?

Markb

Thanks :) now my only question is how do the sonic ecstasy pick ups fit in to the tonality of the monarchy in regards to the 3 majesty options , will they make warner or even more tighter (darker?) than the artisan for example which has the same woods?

agt

Hmm, interesting. Do they both have the same number of strings?

Yes, both have 6 strings.

Thanks :) now my only question is how do the sonic ecstasy pick ups fit in to the tonality of the monarchy in regards to the 3 majesty options , will they make warner or even more tighter (darker?) than the artisan for example which has the same woods?

Based on the specs at Dimarzio's website for the 6 string models, I gathered that the Sonic Ecstasy bridge model (T/M/B = 4/8.5/7) was warmer and perhaps a bit less tight than the Illuminator bridge (T/M/B = 5/5.5/5.5), but I have never actually played or even heard them. The specs for the neck models are not as different: Sonic Ecstasy neck model (T/M/B = 4.5/7/6.5) compared to the Illuminator neck (T/M/B = 5/7/6). Pure speculation on my part, but might the different specs, at least for the bridge pickup, be to compensate for the slight tonal differences in the woods and to make the new Monarchy mahogany and original basswood models sound more like one another? All I know is that whatever JP, Sterling, Derek, and the folks at Dimarzio are doing, they have arrived at a winning combination!

Last edited:

Markb

Think I answered my own question :p had a look at dimazio website and comparing the illuminates to the sonic ecstasy it seems that the SE have slightly less treble and a bit more mids and lows with a bit more output so taking that into account and comparing to the artisan comments I would predict tonality the monarch may fit somewhere between the original and the artisan? ... if anyone has all 3 feedback would be great :)

Markb

Yes, both have 6 strings.

Based on the specs at Dimarzio's website for the 6 string models, I gathered that the Sonic Ecstasy bridge model (T/M/B = 4/8.5/7) was warmer and perhaps a bit less tight than the Illuminator bridge (T/M/B = 5/5.5/5.5), but I have never actually played or even heard them. The specs for the neck models are not as different: Sonic Ecstasy neck model (T/M/B = 4.5/7/6.5) compared to the Illuminator neck (T/M/B = 5/7/6). Pure speculation on my part, but might the different specs, at least for the bridge pickup, be to compensate for the slight tonal differences in the woods and to make the new Monarchy mahogany and original basswood models sound more like one another? All I know is that whatever JP, Sterling, Derek, and the folks at Dimarzio are doing, they have arrived at a winning combination!

Haha, think we posted at same time :) great minds think a like .. but ya, can't wait till I get my sweaty hands on my first EBMM and seems like the majesty range is a great choice :)

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

Don't forget the DC Resistance. There's a big & considerable difference between the two sets, and this spec accounts greatly for the bright vs. thick/dark sound. The less the DC resistance, the brighter the sound.

Markb

Thanks johnny, from the only review I've seen on YouTube (andertons) on the monarchy it sounded sweet, so can't wait for arrival :)

beej

Don't forget the DC Resistance. There's a big & considerable difference between the two sets, and this spec accounts greatly for the bright vs. thick/dark sound. The less the DC resistance, the brighter the sound.
This is not really true. DC resistance is just one factor in the circuit. Depending on the type of magnet, wire, etc. you can have different characteristics that resistance won't really illustrate.

johnnyboogie

This is not really true. DC resistance is just one factor in the circuit. Depending on the type of magnet, wire, etc. you can have different characteristics that resistance won't really illustrate.

Those two sets however, use the same material for the magnet (ceramic).

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Those two sets however, use the same material for the magnet (ceramic).

Which doesn't negate what Jason said.

DC resistance is the resistance of the coil to a non-changing voltage which only happens when the strings are *not* moving. Not useful. Impedance is the frequency dependent resistance of a coil which is determined by the coil inductance, i.e. the inductance determines how a pickup sounds. It is dependent on wire gauge, number of turns of wire, coil dimensions (length, width, depth, thickness), type and position of magnets. DC resistance is only determined by wire gauge and number of turns of wire in the coil and itself has nothing to do with frequency response. So...

You can have two pickups of the same DC resistance and same magnets but using different wire gauges. They will have differing number of wire turns on the bobbin and their inductances will differ. They will sound different.

You can take two pickups with the same magnets, same wire gauge, same number of turns, and therefore same DC resistance but different coil depths and thickness (different winding parameters) and they will sound different.

DC resistance in a loose general way can tell you about output, and perhaps loosely talk about high end response, but tells you nothing about the balance of the other frequencies and the overall character of the pickup.

This is why pickup legend Bill Lawrence said, "DC resistance tells you as much about a pickup's sound as shoe size tells you about a person's intelligence".

Top Bottom