• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wesman11483

I know there are a few similar posts currently trending, but I am completely new to the world of singlecoils, so I hope the redundancy is forgiven.

I just picked up (it arrives tomorrow) a SBMM AX3 that I intend to modify as a versatile backup for my (slightly modified) EBMM Axis Sport MM90. In "strat mode" I am planning on a 3-way switch, so looking for sweet, quintessential strat position 2,3,4 sounds. A little dark is okay...not too chimey...but also hot enough to not have a drastic dip when switching to a humbucker.

Any advice?
(Thank you for welcoming me to your community. I have really been enjoying myself here! I have owned a lot of different guitars, and I feel safe to say the EBMM will continue to be my main axe from here on out!)

wesman11483

Does anybody have any experience with/love for/words of warning about the Dimarzio Area 67 in the middle position?

beej

Are you planning to split the humbuckers when you combine with the single (i.e. the standard HSH approach)?

If so, I'd think it would be handier to have a regular single in there (not a noiseless one) so you end up with a humbucking configuration in positions 2 & 4, especially if position 3 is both humbuckers in parallel.

wesman11483

Are you planning to split the humbuckers when you combine with the single (i.e. the standard HSH approach)?

If so, I'd think it would be handier to have a regular single in there (not a noiseless one) so you end up with a humbucking configuration in positions 2 & 4, especially if position 3 is both humbuckers in parallel.

So I am looking to put a Sentell minihumbucker in the neck (see attached), single coil in the middle, and a humbucker in the bridge. The idea is to have the flexibility to have tele tones (traditional 1 & 5 position split), strat tones (traditional 2, 3, &4 position; 2 & 4 split), and les paul tones (neck and bridge humbuckers unsplit)

Attachments

• sentell.jpg
    sentell.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 99

wesman11483

Went with an Area 67. Found a decent deal on Reverb, and I liked all the audio I heard. Figure if it doesn't sound as I had hoped, one singlecoil is an easy swap down the road...

vuduhwy

Does anybody have any experience with/love for/words of warning about the Dimarzio Area 67 in the middle position?

Area 67 isn't bad. I own it, but I was gonna recommend the Injector. It cleans up nicely and handles all the gain you can throw at it. Has good output too. I see you already chose the 67. Make sure to keep us updated.

Top Bottom