• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Who likes the new mono cases

• Dislike

• No Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

GWDavis28

Keith what do you think? I don't have one, but have been curious what others think.

Glenn |B)

jmmp

I have two of them: my Stingray guitar came with one, and I purchased one for my Cutlasses and Sabre. My thoughts: for storing in the house, I prefer the hard cases, as they are narrower and smaller overall. The reason I purchased one for my cutlass is that is my main playing out guitar, and it feels much more secure in the mono case for travel around town/ in my trunk.

GoKart Mozart

I had to vote "no opinion". On one hand, the Mono case is padded much better and appears to offers better protection. However, they're really damn thick and are a lot harder to stow away for storage.

Iperfungus

I love traditional MM cases too much to consider MONO as a good alternative .. :)
They are expensive a lot.
Well built, no doubt...but I bought a good padded gigbag/case last week for 1/4 of a standard MONO case's price...and it's full of pockets as well!

fogman

I voted no.
I've never had one, and I'm sure they are a nice case... especially for the gigging musician.
But my concern having many guitars is the long term storage issue. The hardshell cases are stackable to some degree which is a bonus.
I don't think the MONO cases will be as durable long term. Once they collect dust, they will look like hell as getting dust out of the nylon fabric would be hell. A hardshell case would be much easier to clean.
I do not know if EBMM was having issues with the SKB and hence the reason for the switch. I can say that the hardshell case I received with my most recent EBMM purchase was not of the quality of my other 10 year old plus cases. The hardware on it is noticeably of inferior. I feel like that if the case was in the open position and I somehow freakishly added to torsion pressue to the lid, that the hinges would fail. Just my opinion of course, but it was an immediate observation when I received delivery of the guitar.
All that being said, I wouldn't mind having one MONO for random situations; but I definitely prefer the hardshell SKB as the default case that comes with the purchase.

Iperfungus

I voted no.
I've never had one, and I'm sure they are a nice case... especially for the gigging musician.
But my concern having many guitars is the long term storage issue. The hardshell cases are stackable to some degree which is a bonus.
I don't think the MONO cases will be as durable long term. Once they collect dust, they will look like hell as getting dust out of the nylon fabric would be hell. A hardshell case would be much easier to clean.
I do not know if EBMM was having issues with the SKB and hence the reason for the switch. I can say that the hardshell case I received with my most recent EBMM purchase was not of the quality of my other 10 year old plus cases. The hardware on it is noticeably of inferior. I feel like that if the case was in the open position and I somehow freakishly added to torsion pressue to the lid, that the hinges would fail. Just my opinion of course, but it was an immediate observation when I received delivery of the guitar.
All that being said, I wouldn't mind having one MONO for random situations; but I definitely prefer the hardshell SKB as the default case that comes with the purchase.
A
M
E
N

racerx

I'm mostly on the indifferent spectrum. I prefer Gator Transit gig bags anytime I'm bringing a guitar/bass out (similar to a Mono Sleeve but better form factor IMO). Like almost everyone else has already pointed out, I find the hardshell cases are easier to stack both horizontally and vertically in the inevitable "guitar case closet". I don't think its a big enough deal to kill the Mono cases over, but I get it.

Sweat

Yes the mono case are well built and offer good padding protection but they are bulky , do not store well and take up a lot of space :)

Not saying they are not nice just prefer the SKB cases, I have a couple killer gig bags if I need that type of item for transport :)

Sweat

I like the Mono cases. For storage at home I agree with jmmp, the old cases are smaller. But the Mono cases are better protection and lighter weight which is important for a lot people when shipping or travelling.
Dr Kev, I disagree about the weight, they seem to weigh the same and the bulk makes them seem even heavier, I would agree they do offer another layer of protection but man give me my SKB just like my MTV :)

jlf599

I was all for the Mono cases until I found out they were the same size or bigger than the old cases. I was hoping they'd be like the Mono Vertigo cases -- protective but much smaller.

It's a wash for me with the current situation...though I've truly pondered selling my hardshells and getting smaller Mono cases just for space purposes.

Jalcom1

I’ve traveled with the Mono case a few times since last fall. It’s easier to mange than a SKB but could use a shoulder strap. I agree with the difficulty of storing them. Maybe that’s the point! They want us out with these beautiful instruments.

Spudmurphy

I just sold an skb case to a lad in Hungary.
I take two guitars to gigs. One of my Alberts in a hard case and a cheapo guitar that goes in a gig bag.
FWIW, I have carried my Albert in a Hiscox case made for a Tele. The downside is you have to remove the trem bar and carry it in the internal case hinged compartment.
With this in mind, if the Hiscox takes an Albert, then it should take an Axis, EVH, Luke, Old style Petrucci, Silo ... but please try first.

Last edited:

Ted

the inevitable "guitar case closet".
That's when you feel like a secret serial killer for whom the bodies just keep stacking up. Haha.

I have half of my guitar cases in a closet in a spare bedroom and most of the rest of them stacked under my bar-- which my brother built me. I haven't entertained much at my current place, but it would be nice to use my beautiful bar if it weren't full of guitars in their cases.

GWDavis28

I just sold an skb case to a lad in Hungary.
I take two guitars to gigs. One of my Alberts in a hard case and a cheapo guitar that goes in a gig bag.
FWIW, I have carried my Albert in a Hiscox case made for a Tele. The downside is you have to remove the trem bar and carry it in the internal case hinged compartment.
With this in mind, if the Hiscox takes an Albert, then it should take an Axis, EVH, Luke, Old style Petrucci, Silo ... but please try first.
Spud sounds like you need a new Mono case!

Glenn |B)

Sweat

See I used to case most of mine except a couple, now they are all displayed on the wall! But these Mono case take up so much storage space I dont have any place to store cases except the floor of my room which I do not like :(

Top Bottom