• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GWDavis28

Glenn...I started out dead-set on SSS, but after doing some digging (and listening) I'm thinking the HH is the route for me.

Greg that's great there are a lot of those around. I've got one my wife gave it to me one Christmas (Thanx Pete).

Whats you color fancy? Trem or Hard tail? New or used?

Glenn |B)

Tx_Greg

Greg that's great there are a lot of those around. I've got one my wife gave it to me one Christmas (Thanx Pete).

Whats you color fancy? Trem or Hard tail? New or used?

Glenn |B)

If I could wave a wand... Powder Blue, Trem, Used, for $799.00;)

The used market is so good right now, I really think that's where I'll land. They have a beautiful new PB Trem at (can you mention retailers on here?)...a retailer I've bought quite a few guitars from over the years. But I've also found some really great lookers in near mint shape used for a significantly lower price of course. Don't forget...I gotta get this by SWMBO as well!

GWDavis28

If I could wave a wand... Powder Blue, Trem, Used, for $799.00;)

The used market is so good right now, I really think that's where I'll land. They have a beautiful new PB Trem at (can you mention retailers on here?)...a retailer I've bought quite a few guitars from over the years. But I've also found some really great lookers in near mint shape used for a significantly lower price of course. Don't forget...I gotta get this by SWMBO as well!

Sure you can mention retailers here. SWMBO??

Powder blue might be a tough color to find. What's your second choice?

Glenn |B)

Tx_Greg

Sure you can mention retailers here. SWMBO??

Powder blue might be a tough color to find. What's your second choice?

Glenn |B)

Probably the trans walnut looking one. Not sure what that is actually called, but it's nice. I'm an old guy, so nothin too flashy or bright for me. But I'm kinda over black as well. Lord knows I've owned a slew of them over the years. Ultimately, if it plays great, isn't a tone-turd unplugged and feels good....I'll probably deal with the color.

GWDavis28

So unplugged these things are beautiful!!! Yah there are some vintage yellow ones out there and such. There are a lot of the Trans Walnut ones out there as well. The ones with the Tele style knobs are usual GC specials, they have a coil tap. Nice feature to have. Keep an eye on Reverb.com, deals seem to come up there more that EvilBay. Good luck in your search.

Glenn |B)

edhalen

Greg - If you haven't already done so, head over to the Guitar Center used section on their site. There are three AL HH's for sale there. A really nice white one with the tele-style knobs (likely as Glenn said a GC special with the coil tap), a metallic red one with the standard knobs and (likely) no coil tap, and a black one. I used to own one of the Trans Walnut HH's with the coil tap and it was an outstanding guitar. You'll love it.

Tx_Greg

So unplugged these things are beautiful!!! Yah there are some vintage yellow ones out there and such. There are a lot of the Trans Walnut ones out there as well. The ones with the Tele style knobs are usual GC specials, they have a coil tap. Nice feature to have. Keep an eye on Reverb.com, deals seem to come up there more that EvilBay. Good luck in your search.

Glenn |B)

Glenn, first off, thank you very much for all your info and interest in helping. It's greatly appreciated. Just to be clear, you're saying if the HH has Tele type knobs that's an indicator the guitar has a tap? Is there any other way to identify that feature? You're right, it would be a very handy thing to have, and even if I buy one without, it will get one. Thanks again!

GWDavis28

Glenn, first off, thank you very much for all your info and interest in helping. It's greatly appreciated. Just to be clear, you're saying if the HH has Tele type knobs that's an indicator the guitar has a tap? Is there any other way to identify that feature? You're right, it would be a very handy thing to have, and even if I buy one without, it will get one. Thanks again!

Greg, not a problem and glad to help. Not really to the best of my knowledge. Though people like me prefer the Tele style knobs even when a guitar doesn't have a coil tap. My AL HH doesn't have one, but I've been planning on adding it, just can't ever seem to find the time.

Good luck, Greg they are out there it's just a matter of find the one for you. Remember that if you buy from GC they'll ship from one location to one close by you to check it out before you buy it.

Glenn |B)

Tx_Greg

Greg, not a problem and glad to help. Not really to the best of my knowledge. Though people like me prefer the Tele style knobs even when a guitar doesn't have a coil tap. My AL HH doesn't have one, but I've been planning on adding it, just can't ever seem to find the time.

Good luck, Greg they are out there it's just a matter of find the one for you. Remember that if you buy from GC they'll ship from one location to one close by you to check it out before you buy it.

Glenn |B)

Yep, that's one thing good about GC...one.

GWDavis28

Yep, that's one thing good about GC...one.

Hahahahaha, that's how I got my first all MM90's. It had been floating around the GC's since 2001. I got it as NOS, great guitar at a super buy. But EBMM fixed up the issues with it, fret sprout and stuff and it was better than new.

Well they're discounts can really be pretty good. Just remember that EBMM's come with a case, the last thing you wanna do is be getting stuck buys a case. That's new of course. Hopefully the used ones have them too.

Glenn |B)

Tx_Greg

Hahahahaha, that's how I got my first all MM90's. It had been floating around the GC's since 2001. I got it as NOS, great guitar at a super buy. But EBMM fixed up the issues with it, fret sprout and stuff and it was better than new.

Well they're discounts can really be pretty good. Just remember that EBMM's come with a case, the last thing you wanna do is be getting stuck buys a case. That's new of course. Hopefully the used ones have them too.

Glenn |B)

You got it! I crack jokes at their expense a lot, but in all honesty I've gotten a few really nice guitars for a good deal exactly as you describe. I'm looking at a couple of ALs right now from them. They have a good return policy, and I do like to have them ship something to a local-to-me store so I can try before I buy. There's good and bad with 'em all, just like folks.

Tx_Greg

Well, after looking, lusting, and lurking I found one that fit the bill. So there's a NGD in my future soon. I expect to have it sometime next week (UPS/FEDEX, do NOT go on strike!). Ivory White 2012 AL HH. I am pretty sure it's one of the GC models because 1. Tele knobs 2. GC store that had it said it had been bought new there and traded back in. I'm pretty excited. Thanks again to you all for the welcome and the advice/thoughts. it's appreciated!

Top Bottom