• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

MajtasticVoyage

Well, this is disconcerting...

I stand corrected. My apologies, everyone.

I need to decide if that's a deal-breaker or not, now. While I almost NEVER actually use the piezo, it's been nice to have it there for when I need an "acoustic" or when I want to enhance my clean sound.

That said, and I can see now BP doesn't like this guitar compared to the JPM, but if the cleans sound as nice as the cleans on my JPM, it will be just fine without a piezo. It won't hold down the acoustic side of the house, but the cleans could not be better on the JPM.

I have high hopes. But it'd be nice if they fact-checked copy before publishing it. It's just like the debacle a couple years ago with the extent to which the Majesty had the GameChanger. Many people, including myself, felt *just* a little misled when we eventually discovered it was just the switching aspect that was implemented and not the full-featured system.

Now, to cancel my pre-order or not... THAT is the question... But I'm sure I have about 6 months to decide lol. Thanks for clearing that up for me, guys. Bummer.

DR5Guy

Not sure if the picture of the headstock's back on MM's site is correct, but it looks JP16 has both locking tuners and a locking nut. Not sure what is the benefit of that, besides making the headstock heavier.

Also, I actuslly like that it doesn't have a piezo option; but as other people mentioned the pricing should reflect that.

MajtasticVoyage

Not sure if the picture of the headstock's back on MM's site is correct, but it looks JP16 has both locking tuners and a locking nut. Not sure what is the benefit of that, besides making the headstock heavier.

Also, I actually like that it doesn't have a piezo option; but as other people mentioned the pricing should reflect that.

I agree with your sentiments about pricing. I was okay with the pricing until about 10 minutes ago when I discovered there was no piezo lol.

Regarding the locking tuners; to me, they're a convenience, not really utilitarian in the sense that they prevent slippage. I have them on all of my guitars, even ones with a Floyd (the ONLY exception being my Ibby JPM because I don't want to mod it from original. With locking tuners, you can change strings in an instant. I used to spend 45 minutes to an hour changing strings and getting frustrated when the unwound ones would slip through my fingers as I was trying to wind them, but lockin tuners have drastically reduced my string-change time.

The copy for the product page states "Schaller M6LA in black finish with black buttons" mentioning nothing about locking tuners - and if you Google those, they don't appear to be locking, but the guitar does appear to have locking tuners. So I'm not sure...

Dead-Eye

Also, I actuslly like that it doesn't have a piezo option; but as other people mentioned the pricing should reflect that.

The picture showing the back of the headstock is also the one showing the Piezo controls, so I'll assume it isn't correct. The spec sheet calls the tuners Schaller M6LA, those aren't locking. The other models have Schaller M6-IND.

I don't really see the need for them on Floyd guitars, I usually just put the ball end on the tuner.

Last edited:

beej

Are we seriously getting upset about a copy mistake on the website? C'mon man. They just got through the biggest show of the year, where they put up a ton of new instruments and re-built their entire website. Let's chill out a bit and wait for the dust to settle.

MesaBeno

Are we seriously getting upset about a copy mistake on the website? C'mon man. They just got through the biggest show of the year, where they put up a ton of new instruments and re-built their entire website. Let's chill out a bit and wait for the dust to settle.

Beej, good point man, but it's not just the mistake on the website; the picture of the guitar's backplate also seems to show Piezo setting options (Piezo Treble, Piezo Bass, etc). I think people have a right to bring up the issue when it's so confusing to the point that after clarification many are still not sure what to expect.

MajtasticVoyage

Agreed, MesaBeno.

I mean, where in the world did that picture come from?!?! It's CLEARLY the JP16. I don't doubt there's locking tuners, as I have never seen a Music Man without them, but still. Truth in advertising is a must. Because no piezo + no locking tuners = pass, for me at least. No piezo = on the fence.

But it looks like Beej is right; I guess we'll just have to wait until the dust settles to see what features this guitar actually has lol.

killerburst

They probably didn't get around to a new backplate for the JP16 with just the mag boost hole in time for the pictures before NAMM. They clearly had a ton of stuff going on in prep for NAMM and the new website.

PeteDuBaldo

I hope this clears things up, no locking tuners...

DSCN4836.jpg

beej

They probably didn't get around to a new backplate for the JP16 with just the mag boost hole in time for the pictures before NAMM. They clearly had a ton of stuff going on in prep for NAMM and the new website.
That's what I assumed as well, just re-purposed an existing backplate. I'm sure it was all hands on deck trying to get everything and everyone out the door.

John C

That's what I assumed as well, just re-purposed an existing backplate. I'm sure it was all hands on deck trying to get everything and everyone out the door.

I have a shot of the backplate and it has 1 hole for "boost" - I'll upload it later on.

That's what I assumed as well - these were photos of a prototype and the finished product would match the specs. I would imagine if you looked at the photo shoot JP16 there would only be a trim pot under the boost hole; the other 3 would be blank.

Now that they're back from NAMM I noticed they have been cleaning up the few minor issues with the website - for example they now have the proper videos on the Silhouette and Silhouette Special pages (the videos had been reversed).

MajtasticVoyage

Thanks for the pic, Pete. That clears things up. Bummer to see that, but I appreciate you letting us know what specs this guitar actually comes with.

joe web

Where is the "like" button if you need it???? :)

Sorry guys, but just relax a bit and think about the things before posting a lot of useless replies.
Put yourself in the situation, being a brand owner....and you want to presentate a new model, but time is running out and so you didn't get the right plates by the time you would have needed them...ok just put on a plate of a JP15, because the size is the same...and the photographer is booked on a specific date, everything must be read on this day....and quick make a spec sheet..didn't see the mistake on it (because piezo is on any other JP model, and this is so common, that you don't realize it first) and put it out....

hope you get the point. I guess BP and the guys are excited to present the new toys to the public, like a little kid waiting for his Christmas surprise....
So be e little patient.

Btw, the spec sheet on the homepage has been corrected :)

And btw...the 16 wasn't the only instrument they worked on in the last month...there are a few other new models as well...so, a lot of new stuff, a lot of things that have to be looked over....all in all, a massive work which had to be done in the last month, just to be ready for the BIG event and make everything start over at just one day of the year!

Last edited:

dibart77

The photo may have also been a prototype. They probably experimented with locking tuners and no locking nut, locking nut plus locking tuners, and then locking nut with normal tuners. They probably experimented/considered piezo. In any case, we know the spec now. If it floats your boat, ROCK. If not, don't ROCK.

Tanax

I totally love the piezo so I'm kinda bummed they didn't include it but I assume that's what Big John wanted!
Question though; How does the Floyd feel and compare against the custom tremolo featured on all other JP models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom